Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
JAC43 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The latest issue of Handloader has someone taking over the Reloader's Press column so I gave it a read. Turns out its some early 20's kid related to the publisher. They charge for this crap? A waste of paper except for Barsness and Pearce.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, Jeremiah is the son of the owner/publisher of Wolfe. While I haven't seen Jeremiah for quite a while, do know that he's a real rifle loony, perhaps even more than his father. I found the column interesting, partly because of his obvious loonyism--more so than some older writers who previously wrote the column--who often repeated what they'd written before, sometimes more than once.

We need "young blood" in gun writing, and NONE of the older writers started out knowing nearly as much as they do now. The industry needs more younger writers, especially those willing to keep learning.

Glad you liked the articles from me and Brian, but I find the wide array of interests and experience in HANDLOADER writers provides an interesting mix. As an example, Randy Bimson spent years with SAAMI before starting to write his column, which as a result provides far more insight into the more technical aspects of handloading. There are also Terry Wieland's adventures with really old cartridges and rifles, which I always enjoy, even though my interests in older stuff don't coincide with Terry's very often, and Rick Jamison's fine piece on the new Oehler technology, which will interest OTHER readers.

The HANDLOADER magazine of today isn't the same one I started writing for 30 years ago, but it still provides something for a wide variety of readers. Which is why I started sending articles to the magazine in the first place: Had been reading it for years already, and always enjoyed the wide array of subjects and writers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well if he’s gonna go over with me he needs to lose the cowboy hat while indoors. WTF?

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Where did you see that?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Where did you see that?

The Handloader/Rifle TV series (Youtube) he does with Mike Venturino. Which I enjoy watching.

The indoor hat, yeah that's really a BFD. GMAFB.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer has a point. As my favorite writers retire, or worse, we need some young writers developing. I thought it was a well written piece, and look forward to more.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Mule Deer has a point. As my favorite writers retire, or worse, we need some young writers developing. I thought it was a well written piece, and look forward to more.

+1

Everybody was a rookie once.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Agree with JB. Good first column.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's hard to accept many of the ones around my own (52) age.
Not sure if it's my prejudice or their lack of gravitas.
Probably both.

Plus, the format doesn't encourage worthwhile articles that actually
give enough detail to be worthwhile. Thats not on the author,
but a factor of our times.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go find a Handloader the first years Ross Seyfried was there, and look at the other writers there then. I'm glad I have those old issues.

Btw, look at the length of articles in gun mags from pre-1950. They make current columns look like they were written by a 7yr. old with ADD.

Last edited by JD45; 05/11/22.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, but I hate wearing hats myself, only wear them when it’s necessary, and never find it necessary indoors. Looks silly to me.

I miss Haviland.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
If some wants to wear a hat indoors, that's fine by me. Why that bothers anyone is beyond me

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jwp475
If some wants to wear a hat indoors, that's fine by me. Why that bothers anyone is beyond me

Some prejudices simply die hard with some folks

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One thing you can always be sure of on the campfire....Old guys will be beetching about something. Never fails....

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Funny, I really enjoyed the piece. Probably due in part because my first rifle dad bought me was a Ruger M77 chambered in 260 Rem. While I realize he is on the young side, it seems like he is pretty knowledgeable, and hope to see more pieces written by him!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Highoctane
Originally Posted by jwp475

Some prejudices simply die hard with some folks

Do you smoke a pipe?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My Grand Pa wore a hat indoors when it was cold, said that it kept his head warm. They were cheap and kept the house pretty cool in the Winter. They of course came from a time where the Wood stove in the kitchen provided heat, then the living room had a wood/coal stove, rest of the house was shut off from heat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, so I’m a hat bigot. Maybe if I recite the Man Prayer enough times I can get past it.

Read the article that started all this and liked it. The young man writes clearly and with nary a trace of Gunwriter-ese.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The new guy is way better than Lee J. Hoots.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, I never said anything about your Grand Pa!

I’ll bet it wasn’t a cowboy hat.

I have an Orvis fishing hat, guess you’d call it a Fedora. Tried wearing it while actually fishing to keep the sun off my cancer-prone face and neck, but just couldn’t stand it. Have to get one of those Foreign Legion jobs for that I guess.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,255
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.