Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Stophel
Anyone who deserves to be shot, deserves to be dead.

oooh, the loyahs would have a field day with me! laugh

Tuco agrees with you 😁

Yep ! Good to see ya posting Hatari.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Besides cops or army guys here, anybody shot someone?

GOA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seriously? Shoot to slow? Where has that been taught and by whom?

MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
A full size 1911 is easily concealed when wearing a pair of shorts and a tee shirt.
Small problem - last time this guy was seen, in public, in shorts and tee shirt was when we took the kids to Sea World.
In 1993.
And there is NO way I could conceal a 1911 .45 when in my summer plumage! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn’t read most of this and won’t. That said I have a couple of thoughts on topic. Turning your back on an aggressor is a bad idea. If you feel weird about whacking a piece of trash, well, at least disable them. Kneecaps or belly buttons are good targets. Plenty of time afterwards for a follow up shot if you change your mind.

While you’re at it study up on your state laws relevant to the subject.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
A full size 1911 is easily concealed when wearing a pair of shorts and a tee shirt.
Small problem - last time this guy was seen, in public, in shorts and tee shirt was when we took the kids to Sea World.
In 1993.
And there is NO way I could conceal a 1911 .45 when in my summer plumage! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Run or stand my ground?
Proly depends on how many Mountain Dews Ive had....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Besides cops or army guys here, anybody shot someone?
Yep, This past dec,, Meth head breaking into house.. 3 steps in he was cured 2 mid section 3 in the head and saved one for a twitch of any kind, at 5' 357 taurus,, carry it every where,open,,, 12ga on the counter with#00 ,,Sheriff and HWP took one look an said good job,,, Didnt think twice about it, dont think think about it now,, when you fuQ around ,you find out

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Oregon.

Retards.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2
Something I realized once that left me feeling pretty cold is the bad guys almost always have the option to draw first blood.

Back then I had a job handling and transporting very large sums of cash. I carried a holstered handgun, a .45 ACP, and spare magazine but was alone and in a non armored vehicle. On any day a seriously intent bad guy could have easily taken me out first, at their whim, with a minimum of planing and exposure, grabbed the money and disappeared in a minute or two.

You are tuned into something most guys refuse to see.

Guns, ammo, training, professional instruction, so many don't understand
that you will be behind.

If you are head up and eyes open, you might possibly have a chance getting your mind running and not be surprised.
Even then, you can't just shuck your blaster and start shooting.
You have to let the situation develop to a point.

All the aforementioned prep will help you if you don't lock up, or get shot
out of the box.

As a few others mentioned, your head is your best defense.
Eyes, ears, brain. Avoid the situation, see it coming.

Years as a long haul driver, carrying a gun was not possible running
48 and Canada. Kinda glad I couldn't. Forced me to forget John Wayne and
focus on prevention. Safety training was not just about docks and driving,
The initial training included quite a bit of personal security.
I'm grateful for it.

PS Despite the above, I struggle now. 20 years of living in a rural peaceful area has made me complacent. I catch myself not keeping proper awareness. It's easy in strange/dangerous places. It's much harder in
familiar places.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/10/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've been following several self defense sites for several years now and my views toward self defense with a handgun have changed significantly due to this.

The discussion on this site and most sites are that a carry weapon needs to be able to inflict a fatal impact or it isn't suitable for concealed carry. I can get behind this to a point- if you are in a situation where you actually have to use a gun to defend yourself the adrenaline is going to be like a faucet being opened up, your hands probably won't be steady, your brain will probably freeze unless you have practiced enough to have muscle memory to go through the motions, and the attacker is going to be advancing on you... in that case you want to end this as soon as possible . And when I am in a season where wearing enough clothing to cover up a larger weapon is feasible I prefer to do this, but....

Most of the self defense types these days advise two things in every case that I have seen- if you have the opportunity, run from the danger as quickly as your feet will carry you- and second, if you have to use your weapon shoot center mass and as accurately as possible even it it takes a little more time to aim and shoot. One or two well placed shots is way better than spraying shots everywhere and not hitting anything except bystanders, cars, etc....

Here is where I have modified my behavior and believe it is worth considering. During warm weather I seldom have sufficient clothing on to conceal my .45 ACP carry weapon so I often didn't carry in those conditions. I felt naked a lot of times and especially now with the homelessness problems and uptick in crime. So I started looking into what self defense really meant to me and basically what I realized is I need to slow down or stop an assailant, but not necessarily kill them. This had a major effect on my outlook on weapons choices and why I ended up purchasing a .380 for a carry weapon. I can carry it all the time and not feel it is going to show enough that I have to worry about some Karen going ballistic on me in public and it will get the job done. I have shifted my priorities to where I feel if I can land a couple shots center mass or in the head/neck area with a .380 or even a .22, it will be enough to stop or slow the attack enough for me to get proper distance or defend those around me. I'm pretty sure dumping a mag of .380 or .22 into somebody at relatively close range is going to give just about anyone a very bad day...

The whole point most of these self defense instructors seem to be getting across is the first objective is to get away from the threat as a first priority. Stopping the assailant and protecting yourself and others is secondary. And alerting the police given the time frame is way down the list once your adrenaline calms down a bit, hopefully...

I know there will be lots of back and forth on this... what do you think?

I think the advice you’ve been given is absurd and whoever gave it to you does not have the first fugking clue what they’re talking about.

I also (based on your warm weather comments) don’t think you’ve taken concealed carry seriously enough to have done it very often.

I’ve read some schit before but justifying a cartridge choice because it may not kill them as dead, and fear of being harassed by a woman for excessive printing has to be toward the top of the absurd heap.

So, you think your advice is any more credible? Give me a break.... and apparently your reading comprehension isn't too good either...

I don’t think my advice is more credible.

I know it is.

Killing me tonight. Jiggling my belly laughing 😂. Very good deflave-o-grams. Message delivered. My age & condition don’t think I’ll go for the wounding shot myself. Crippled guy be like zombie crawling toward me with one hand and teeth. And if I been smacked he could probably catch me. Have to shoot for the big part in the middle till they stop. If they die so be it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Oregon.

Retards.

I suppose you guys read the Florida law as "Don't say gay" too, right?

The whole point wasn't to intentionally shoot to slow, but if you have to shoot and don't kill, at least your assailant (s) should be sufficiently subdued by just about any number of hits so you can escape to a safer place. My intention is to get away and to do the most damage to the assailant as possible, but if a hit with what you guys consider an insufficient round doesn't immediately incapacitate someone it will at the very least slow them down enough to stop the aggression or at least give you time and room to get away...

But hey, I've been around here long enough to know I should feel content that we got through around 20 responses before it went off the rails ....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You shoot someone willy nilly with a 22...and they find out about it....you are fugged.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carry whatever reliable gun that you feel comfortable with but there are tons of videoed real life shoots showing guys being hit multiple times in the chest at point blank range and showing zero indication of being hit until they’re dead several seconds later. Given that and that in most cases legally justified homicide will mean that the other guy is literally trying to blow your brains out I’d want to be armed with a 9x19 and try to dump a mag in center mass as long as he were still standing. Slowing someone down that is trying to shoot you in the head isn’t what I’d be going for unless it’s the best that you can do.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was gonna say ^^^^

Think I’d be better off hitting someone once or twice with something with real mustard on it, and putting said person DOWN, than dicking around hitting them again and again, or missing again and again, if they continued to pursue. But what do I know.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How about a couple real situations to stimulate the conversation-

Kyle Rittenhouse shot a guy to "slow him down" when he had a gun pointed at him at close range. He paid a heavy price both personally and financially but he came out of it above ground and doing okay now.

His situation wasn't all that different from a lot of the nights we had in Portland last year. Innocent people just trying to get home or to someplace in town and Antifa/BLM jumps out in the street and blocks their way, pulls people out of their vehicles, and starts kicking the crap out of them. This happened several times last summer in and around Portland and the police didn't do squat about it. No situational awareness would have prepared these people for this happening in an otherwise deserted area where there had been no problems before. IMO this is a case where you don't wait to assess, you start shooting until the area is clear or drive over people to get away- the ultimate defensive weapon is your car.

Last year in Portland an Antifa a-hole stopped a car on the I5 freeway during one of these little happenings. The Antifa dumbass decided to point his AR15 at the driver when he walked up to the truck. The driver- a CCW carrier- had his 9mm ready and unloaded on the guy at very close range, killing him in his tracks. The Grand Jury declined to indict due to self defense.

Every situation is different. Trust me, if I had the opportunity my .45 would be my full time carry weapon but it just doesn't work for me and I won't waste any more time explaining why. The question was- stand and shoot, run, or shoot to slow the attack to benefit escape... everything else has been beat to death on this site many times over...
Once you commit to shoot, you'd better be ready to kill them, it's the only right answer.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I heard Joe Biden promoting it on TV one day. Suggesting LEO's should aim for the legs to save lives. Craziest s.h.i.t I'd head in a while.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Attackers are really subdued when theyre dead.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter
How about a couple real situations to stimulate the conversation-

Kyle Rittenhouse shot a guy to "slow him down" when he had a gun pointed at him at close range. He paid a heavy price both personally and financially but he came out of it above ground and doing okay now.

His situation wasn't all that different from a lot of the nights we had in Portland last year. Innocent people just trying to get home or to someplace in town and Antifa/BLM jumps out in the street and blocks their way, pulls people out of their vehicles, and starts kicking the crap out of them. This happened several times last summer in and around Portland and the police didn't do squat about it. No situational awareness would have prepared these people for this happening in an otherwise deserted area where there had been no problems before. IMO this is a case where you don't wait to assess, you start shooting until the area is clear or drive over people to get away- the ultimate defensive weapon is your car.

Last year in Portland an Antifa a-hole stopped a car on the I5 freeway during one of these little happenings. The Antifa dumbass decided to point his AR15 at the driver when he walked up to the truck. The driver- a CCW carrier- had his 9mm ready and unloaded on the guy at very close range, killing him in his tracks. The Grand Jury declined to indict due to self defense.

Every situation is different. Trust me, if I had the opportunity my .45 would be my full time carry weapon but it just doesn't work for me and I won't waste any more time explaining why. The question was- stand and shoot, run, or shoot to slow the attack to benefit escape... everything else has been beat to death on this site many times over...
Once you commit to shoot, you'd better be ready to kill them, it's the only right answer.

Never say you were shooting to kill. The correct answer is shooting to "immediately incapacitate".

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I'm a big guy, 6'2", 275lbs, haven't had a "butt" for decades now (I'm 69 ha). I carry the Glock 23 in a Kydex IWB holster with a good, stiff leather, purpose made Gun Belt. I have a local made 1 1/2" leather gun belt for cargo shorts/jeans a a 1" black leather (Galco) for dress suit pants. I carried a full sized 1911 for over 20yrs with the same set up, except a good leather IWB until the Kydex became stout enough to trust. Avoid all cheap "chicken skin" IWB "Uncle Mike" kind of stuff. If you use a thumb strap, have every holster with a thumb strap. If open top, all open top...muscle memory. The Buffalo Bore +P 100gr hard cast is a real penetrator in the .380...just saying.

I feel your pain. Got out of the shower one day, looked in the bathroom mirror and my butt was gone. Whoever took it left 2 stacks of half cooked pancakes and I haven’t been the same since. I’m 6’ and 185 lbs and even with the pancakes I manage to carry a G23 regularly. Sometimes a G17. I dress around them. If I’m the victim of a violent attack I want to have sufficient rounds and sufficient power to walk away when it’s over. I carry a .380 a small percentage of the time only when the situation demands something as easy to conceal as a pocket knife.

gunner500 says the phillips head penetrators will make the .380 a pretty good nail gun. May have to load some.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,358
Posts18,527,128
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.