Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Baled hay and will be doing more of the same this summer if it ever dries out. Shoveled grain also, but worse than either of those two jobs is pitching [bleep]! Loaded 2 manure spreaders full this weekend by pitchfork. Cheated a little bit by having barn cleaner actually load the spreader. But still had to pitch stalls and penpack into the cleaner...Gives a nice upper body workout!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have kept my feelings on baling hay a closely-guarded secret for these many years. It is finally time to come out and admit that I hated it with a passion. As for shoveling of various agricultural items, that was something that I never minded so much - I guess that I measured it against baling. One shoveling that I haven't seen mentioned is shoveling silage down from the silo; included there would be using a pick-axe to loosen it in the winter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
And plugging the silo chute!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
been there done that wore out the shirt ,glad I don't have to do it again.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You forgot picking rock and unloading 80lb bags of fertilizer by the tractor-trailer load.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Grew up on a dairy farm, so yes. Many nights waiting for the dew to fall and then being roused from sleep by dad to bale till mid-morning till the dew had evaporated. Then sleep, grease the baler, adjust the knotters as needed and repeat. Shoveled oats, barley and wheat---the oats in two old cement silos which my grandfather and his brother had poured as young men, one ring at a time with buckets hauling the cement up ladders after they'd milked the cows in the morning. I remember when Carter sold wheat to Russia in about '73 and the price went up to $5 or $6 bucks a bushel. Dad had 5000 bushels in storage, sold it at just the right time and made enough to buy six Thunderbird wheel lines the next year. What a blessing that was to teenage boys who moved pipe for 2-3 hours every morning and night! Wonderful memories of growing up on a farm. My siblings and I were the 5th generation on the farm. Grew-up in a brick farmhouse built in 1910.

Tarquin
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Did a lot of it when a kid working after school and summers.
As for handling bales, riding the stooker was another job I did a lot of.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TwoCup
You forgot picking rock and unloading 80lb bags of fertilizer by the tractor-trailer load.

We had a Martin steel silo and blew haylage up into the top with an electric-powered blower. Had to unplug that chute more than a few times!

Last edited by Tarquin; 05/11/22.

Tarquin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have.

Both are over rated. wink

This. I can close my eyes and still smell sileage.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too much of both, plus more silage. We filled both upright silo and pit. In my younger years both were fed with a silage fork,both loading and unloading the trailer.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
in the 70's one old man still used old fashened hay stacks .stick pole in ground and stack around it ,he had to teach me how to proparly stack it so rain ran off of it .he used team of horses ,to cut and rake hay up

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I thought I was rich at 13 years old making 7 cents a bale for a 1000 bale day.

Dad didn’t pay us schitt.

He finally bought a round bailer once me and little brother left home for College.
He couldn’t find any more slave labor.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is amazing how certain topics, such as this, bring back so many memories for so many of us.

There were also all of the miles spent walking beans.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I haven't baled hay but I have hauled a many bale to the barn and carried bales of hay to feed the cattle and walk out of my rubber boots when the mud sucked them off. I put a many scoop of maize (milo) in the grist mill and then bag it to feed the cattle in the pasture. Forked silage in the pickup bed and layer it with groung maize and cotton seed meal. Then fork all of that in the feed trough and hand mix for the cattle. Lot of fun, don't think I could do that now.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have.

Both are over rated. wink

This. I can close my eyes and still smell sileage.

I still love the smell of a dairy farm. crazy When I drive by one, I slow down and feel nostalgic. crazy crazy Still like the smell of manure!

Tarquin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still cannot appreciate the smell of new-mown hay as it reminds me of baling.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Grew up on a mink ranch. Lots of weird jobs there. I've skinned 1000s of them.

I like to wear my mink hat out in the winter, triggering the "animal lovers". smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I thought I was rich at 13 years old making 7 cents a bale for a 1000 bale day.

Dad didn’t pay us schitt.

He finally bought a round bailer once me and little brother left home for College.
He couldn’t find any more slave labor.

Agreed. He did other jobs for people and we didn't see any of that money either. I don't miss those days. It wasn't about the work, it was about seeing someone else pocket the earnings. He'd give you the shirt off his kids backs.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I still cannot appreciate the smell of new-mown hay as it reminds me of baling.

To me it is like perfume! One of my favorite smells! crazy

Tarquin
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
When I was a teenager ( WAY BACK ) in the summers I used to work for farmers baling hay. When done at one farm, go to the next. As kids, if we wanted to buy something, that is how we earned the money The other farm work involved forking sileage out of a silo, this was before farmers started getting automatic silo unloaders. Other jobs were Picking stones in the fields, building fence, pitching manure, etc. etc. In Wisconsin, many of the 50 to 80 milking cow farms have disappeared along with much of the manual labor. More mega farms with mostly automated operations. I really can't remember the last time I saw anybody baling hay. Also, with changing times, I seriously doubt you would find any of todays teenagers to do any physical farm work. It would likely be considered cruel and inhumane treatment.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,279 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,234
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.