Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17242001 05/12/22
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Family is possibly looking for a new family dog. After having large breeds all our life thinking about down sizing. Have seen some corgis around seem like pretty cool little big dogs. Experience?

A man's got to know his limitations!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are cool dogs. Smart.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Corgis were cattle herding dogs, most today are a long way from that.

Think of blue heelers as corgis with longer legs. Cheaper to purchase, less inbred for appearance, and much closer to their working roots.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Think of blue heelers as corgis with longer legs. Cheaper to purchase, less inbred for appearance, and much closer to their working roots.

Another cool mix are “Cowboy Corgis”, a mix of a Corgi and a heeler. Check em out.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I was talking to someone other day that they had some fellas come out and help with some wild azz cows. They brought corgis to do the work. Can’t remember who or where it was. Maybe here? Hell I dunno???

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

And as a result blue heelers need to work stock, or they can go quite nuts. They can be a bit ready to nip too. Not a great house dog or for little kids.

As working cattle dogs they are great though.

Corgis I know nothing about, other than that Her Maj. seems to like them, and there are two varieties - with tails and without (Pembroke and Cardigan, but I can't remember which is which).

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had one. Good dogs. Affable. Alert. Good family dog. Smart as schittt. Definitely shedders. Can get a little bossy with other dogs and pets, that’s just part of the herding nature. Nothing wrong with that choice at all, but I wouldn’t get another one. I’m liking Shih Tzu’s for a small dog right now. Roosevelt Rat Terriers are great little family dogs too.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Get one.
Family pets are nice.
Pick the cool calm collected one of of the litter if you are able too.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My buddy had one that loved shotgun action. He chased down
the plastic wads and found a few birds for me. Cool little dog.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dan_oz

And as a result blue heelers need to work stock, or they can go quite nuts. They can be a bit ready to nip too. Not a great house dog or for little kids.

As working cattle dogs they are great though.

Corgis I know nothing about, other than that Her Maj. seems to like them, and there are two varieties - with tails and without (Pembroke and Cardigan, but I can't remember which is which).

Mine are none of that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Another cool mix are “Cowboy Corgis”, a mix of a Corgi and a heeler. Check em out.

We had a dog show up several years ago that we assume was a Cowboy Corgi. Built much like a Corgi, just a little bigger and colored just like a Blue Heeler. Very likeable little dog with a great personality. Looked like he was smiling all the time. Tough as nails. Our other 3 dogs were much bigger dogs. They caught a groundhog one day. They were all in on the action but the little dog had a mouthful the entire time. When it was all said and done, the little dog ran them all off the body, stood over it, and owned it. None of the others could get near it. He was happy to let me take it and chunk it off the side of the mountain.

5 of us were rotating goats between pastures. Anytime one of the goats would break out the little dog brought it right back in. I don't know if he was trained or not but he was awesome. I fell in love with him.

One day he was gone. We had a muskrat in our pond I'd never been able to get a clean shot at. I don't trap, especially with the dogs. From the time the little dog went missing I never saw the muskrat again. My guess is he took it out but was drowned. Hope I'm wrong and he just went back home, wherever that was.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

We had a dog show up several years ago that we assume was a Cowboy Corgi. Built much like a Corgi, just a little bigger and colored just like a Blue Heeler. Very likeable little dog with a great personality. Looked like he was smiling all the time. Tough as nails. Our other 3 dogs were much bigger dogs. They caught a groundhog one day. They were all in on the action but the little dog had a mouthful the entire time. When it was all said and done, the little dog ran them all off the body, stood over it, and owned it. None of the others could get near it. He was happy to let me take it and chunk it off the side of the mountain.

5 of us were rotating goats between pastures. Anytime one of the goats would break out the little dog brought it right back in. I don't know if he was trained or not but he was awesome. I fell in love with him.

One day he was gone. We had a muskrat in our pond I'd never been able to get a clean shot at. I don't trap, especially with the dogs. From the time the little dog went missing I never saw the muskrat again. My guess is he took it out but was drowned. Hope I'm wrong and he just went back home, wherever that was.

Definitely not strong swimmers. Poor guy.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Yep. We ended up finding a “rescue” that’s half heeler (he’s been great), but no corgi blood, before we could get a “cowboy corgi”. Everything I read said the mix was well-behaved and smart, and not near as “rowdy” as either of the pure-bloods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only breed that sheds more than a Lab is a Corgie.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The dog in my avatar (if you can see it), was a heeler mix. Best dog I ever had.

But OMG we could have woven blankets out of shed hair.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a corgi- basset mix. She did shed bad, but so far has been the best dog I've had. Had to put her down in January after 13-14 years. R.I.P. Ginger

Romans 5:1
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i've had heelers and corgis'. Done to my last corgi "Shorty", best dog ive ever had. Loving, careing, great companion, smart, and sheds hair like 10 heelers. Best little big dog in the world.

My others were great, but not as good as shorty. He's 14ish years old and doing ok.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]acer aspire hardware test
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

FJB
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lawnman: I absolutely LOVE Corgis dogs!
They are fun, cute, cuddly and personable.
They DO shed though.
Our oldest VarmintSon has a well mannered and quiet (for the most part) Pembroke Welsh Corgis.
The whole family looks forward to visits from his dog.
A local woman here in SW Montana had a tiny (to scale!) Covered Wagon made and she enters it in parades hereabouts and it is pulled by 4 matched Corgi dogs!
You can here the cheering and whoops and hollers blocks away when this cute beyond words display of dogs and workmanship of the tiny covered wagon is coming!
The VarmintWife and I are considering bringing a Corgi into our family.
Best of luck should you try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My buddys corgi bit my hand and stole a hot pocket from me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Raferman
My buddys corgi bit my hand and stole a hot pocket from me.

Since he got the hot pocket, you got the last laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,906
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.