Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 29 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 28 29
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
No good reason. Just good old fashion marketing. Need to promote new & likewise good cartridges. No need to promote & old great cartridge where the market is nearly saturated.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Hawg
270 adequate for all game here in Texas less some of the private ranch exotics such as Nilgai. Fairly mild mannered, reasonably priced commercial ammo that is readily available under normal circumstances. Good enough for Jack O’Connor and we have the benefit of premium bullets.

Hawg,

Interesting to hear your opinion on the .270's adequacy on nilgai. About 20 years ago I was one of several writers invited on a nilgai (+pig) hunt on the King Ranch, along with a few other folks. The cartridge involved was not the .270 Winchester, but the new .270 WSM, and the bullet the also-new 140-grain Fail Safe.

When we we showed up the guides all expressed sincere doubts about the adequacy of anything ".270" on nilgai. Many of them believed in at least a .300 magnum, and some the .375 H&H.

By the end of the hunt 30 nilgai had been taken, a bull and cow for the each of the 15 hunters. The guides were all saying the .270 WSM was one of the greatest nilgai cartridges ever.

Now, some here may believe the .270 WSM is very different than the .270 Winchester, but I have shot plenty of animals with both--and also watched my wife kill animals up through bull moose with the .270 Winchester and plain old Nosler Partitions. I never could see any difference in the way either .270 killed (or for that matter, the .270 Weatherby) as long as a good bullet hit the right place.

In fact, the longer I hunt the less difference I see in how various rounds kill big game.

Similar story. When in Texas last December on a work trip, Nilgai was one of the animals on the menu. I’d brought a 270 as my rifle for the week and I was told it wasn’t big enough. They wanted me to use a 300 Winchester Magnum (with Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain as the ammo!) instead of my 270 with the 130 TTSX. I assured them my set up was more than adequate. The Nilgai was about 75 yards away at the shot, through lungs and exited off side shoulder. He ran 30 yards and flipped.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
[
Similar story. When in Texas last December on a work trip, Nilgai was one of the animals on the menu. I’d brought a 270 as my rifle for the week and I was told it wasn’t big enough. They wanted me to use a 300 Winchester Magnum

Darrik, that is a phenomena apparently unique to Texas. They are under the impression their game is Kevlar coated. I just got back from a pig hunt where nothing under a .243 was acceptable...so I took my .243...never saw a pig over 100 pounds, and ruined some meat on the tasty little ones. I usually like a .17 Rem. or a CF .22 of some sort for pigs and they never let me down.My one and only nilgai fell on the spot with a heart shot from a .30-06...which wasn't " big enough".

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
[
Similar story. When in Texas last December on a work trip, Nilgai was one of the animals on the menu. I’d brought a 270 as my rifle for the week and I was told it wasn’t big enough. They wanted me to use a 300 Winchester Magnum

Darrik, that is a phenomena apparently unique to Texas. They are under the impression their game is Kevlar coated.

Tom - taint just Texas. Any deer camp I've shared in Saskatchewan or Manitoba, 3/4 of the hunters bring/brought .300 Winchester magnums because the'd all read/heard/seen the deer are a lot bigger than at home. But that's more on the hunters than the outfitters - the outfitters in those places know better.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Stevens223
I know there's a lot of sport disrespecting this cartridge on the Fire but is it real? Age? Poor performance, myth?

What say you???

It's mostly from insecure 7x57 6.5 Gaymore fans. grin

fixed

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is there a 7x57 in your closet?

Quit projecting Jorge. grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
As for me, I simply do not like long action rifles. A 7-08 does all I need and is enough for elk.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fallen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Is there a 7x57 in your closet?

Quit projecting Jorge. grin

No, but maybe a 275 Rigby....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It hasn't, and never will, this thread is going to make me dig 'Sugar' out of the safe, dust it off and shoot a buck this fall, it wears on old Lyman receiver peep with twilight aperture, a pre-64 M-70 that's an American version of a British stalking rifle at only 7.5 lbs loaded and ready, it and a pre-64 FWT in 270W shoot the same load, 150 npt's at 2900 fps for the win

Trump Won!
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My old 270 is still my favorite rifle

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
150 gr partitions available right now on SPS. My preferred do anything bullet for the 270win from antelope yo elk.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What say you???

Some are just stirring up conversation. The .270 is still a popular and widely used killer. It's among the group of American classics (30-06, .300 Savage, .270 Win.) that caused 30-30 hunters to want upgrades. I will always like them a lot!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by StrayDog
What say you???

Some are just stirring up conversation. The .270 is still a popular and widely used killer. It's among the group of American classics (30-06, .300 Savage, .270 Win.) that caused 30-30 hunters to want upgrades. I will always like them a lot!
As the OP I can assure you that my question was one of understanding. I guess you may be more in touch with what others shoot than I. Most of the conversations on here involve the latest and supposedly greatest chambering and when I look at the ballistics of them I see only minuscule differences. Thus my question to achieve some sort of explanation. That's all.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I sold my 270 when I moved to the Northeast where shotguns/bows were the norm for deer hunting. When I moved back to Texas, I got a 6.5CM because it promised similar performance on deer with less recoil. I have found both to be true against deer (Axis and Whitetail). My hunting buddy uses a 270 and knocks them down as well.

Bottom Line:
1) if I had a 270 I wouldn't sell it for something "better".

2) I wouldn't buy one unless something bigger than deer was on my list. There is no reason to have the excess recoil just to knock down a deer or hog. Frankly, my wife's 243 is plenty.

3) There is nothing wrong with it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 270 groups the 150 grain partition about and inch and a quarter to sometimes a little bigger. It shoots the 130 partitions almost into bug holes. I still might load the 150's up and take it to Wyoming this fall.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The .270 Win is a great cartridge.

What a lot of people don't realize is that when you specify a particular cartridge, such as the .270, then, in addition to a certain range of bullet weights and muzzle velocities, you are also specifying chamber dimensions and twist rate, all based on SAMMI specs decided at the time of cartridge acceptance.

Preferred chamber dimensions/twist rates have evolved over the last decade or two towards longer throats and faster twists as long range shooting has become all the rage. However, the SAMMI specs on the older cartridges do not change. Consequently, anything but a custom barrel will have the "old fashion" specs, and thus not interest the long range crowd. That old cartridge then falls out of favor with the young and hip, even though it is as good as it ever was. The young folks are the ones buying the rifles, which then makes the industry tend to migrate away from the older classics.

The .270 bore, always having been an outlier bore diameter, is even more susceptible to this inexorable shift in cartridge/shooting preferences.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
shinebone, it's a helluva round, i pulled mine out of the safe last week, blew the dust outta the twilight aperture on the Lyman receiver peep and took two cold bore shots at 200 and 300 yard steel just holding a bit high on the 300 yard plate, had a decent West wind firing dew North, held a bit for that, i took pics and sent to BSA and beretzs, that's two dead deer, man that old pre-64 270 is a fun rifle, 150gr partitions at 2900 fps will get a lot done.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^^^….except the US Army just jumped on the .277 bore size. In the future, will the 308 be an ‘outlier’, with the 264 going back to obscurity?

NONE of the new, ‘cool’ cartridges was on any new bore size, and most drug an obscure one into the ‘mainstream’, or attempted to. Maybe it filters to the 270 Win, or maybe it doesn’t….but I’m betting there’s some movement towards ‘insider’ with the .277 bore (in general), if things stand.

If all else is equal, the 270 CAN provide equivalent or better performance for most ANY requirement one can dream up for a medium game hunting cartridge…even lower recoil, if that’s what you need. A 5# rifle isn’t the best rig for game over 400, and there’s not too much dif in recoil with 7-8# rifles in comparable chamberings, anyway.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
shinebone, it's a helluva round, i pulled mine out of the safe last week, blew the dust outta the twilight aperture on the Lyman receiver peep and took two cold bore shots at 200 and 300 yard steel just holding a bit high on the 300 yard plate, had a decent West wind firing dew North, held a bit for that, i took pics and sent to BSA and beretzs, that's two dead deer, man that old pre-64 270 is a fun rifle, 150gr partitions at 2900 fps will get a lot done.

There ain’t nothing I wouldn’t tackle with that combo myself Gunner. It’s just a good one that’ll work fine on way bigger stuff than folks give it credit for.

My old Raider buddy is 96-97 this year. After WWII he was assigned to the Alaska territory as a Fish Biologist. I asked what he carried for bear and moose.

Model 70 - 270 Win. Whatever ammo he could get took moose, bear, caribou, for 30 years he ran around with that rifle and he never mentioned a problem.

Semper Fi
Page 12 of 29 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,558
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.