Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
250 Sav age

Do you think Calhoun knows EVERYTHING about all the different models and grades of Savage 99's? Do you think he can tell the difference with certainly whether a bluing job is factory, by looking at an out of focus photograph? I don't think he thinks that...

Let's just assume I'm right and the bluing is factory original, based on what the trained professional who examined it an hour ago said. Also that the stock is original. Now the biggest issue and doubt is was that the original sight that was removed? If so that means the barrel was 22 inches and maybe it's not a 99a? It might have been a 26" 99a, but there is a room for discussion yes? That is worth examining on a board that is dedicated to learning and exploring history, unless we already know EVERYTHING! I've already satisfied my that Calhoun was wrong about the bluing, and probably the wood finish. I'm predicting he is probably right about the model, but the jury is still out...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle has been reblued, refinished and barrel has been cut.

As previously noted...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They even blued the lever for crying out loud.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet the end of the barrel is blued too....

~Admiral Yamamoto~

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Your opinion was stated as "it is what it is" and it "has been refinished" ....Sounds like statements of facts to me? On the other hand you said you'd been wrong before about photos, so not looking for a lie just context, and maybe latitude inyour opinion?

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
You guys are a echo chamber at this point...Later

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even an amateur can see that the stock has been sanded. The cheek pads are rounded and not sharp, too much of the bottom tang exposed and the forearm fit to the receiver isn't great.

That gun would have never ever in a million years left the factory like that.

All that being said it's a very nice rifle, but somebody spruced it up. There is no shame in that. Certainly no reason to be upset.

In fact I think Calhoun was very helpful and polite. And accurately described your rifle.

You should be thanking him for his knowledge and honesty.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Seeing as a couple of the guys you're arguing with have literally written and published fairly comprehensive books about these rifles, there's a reason for a pretty general consensus on it not being in original form.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And another thing, you can see that the screws on the receiver have been turned. There are tool marks on them, but the bluing is still perfect in the slat holes? Been reblued.

All red flags and any experienced expert gunsmith or collector would have no problem recognizing them.

Nice gun. But it is what it is.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
But Calhoun had no problem disregarding and dismissing Mr. Murray's book? The nature of it "original form" is what is being contested....And determining, without question, the originality of the bluing based on the photo is guessing, not expertise. He is an expert on the models, but not the finish as he's seen it, sorry...

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I tighten all the screws yesterday, probably did that myself, try again...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
It been around who knows where for almost 100yrs! I didn't say it was new or a deluxe edition...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
SkinnyKenny,

Is the lever blued?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Another interesting factoid is the 1925 catalog, from Savage, list the model 99A to weigh 8lbs even. Well, if you weigh my rifle without the 11oz Lyman Alaskan, 7oz Stith mounts total weight 1.5 pounds, the bare rifle weigh 7lbs even....And no, the 3+ inches of barrel that supposedly got cut off did not weigh a full 1 pound!!!
Time to hit the books gentleman?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lafin

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SkinnyKenny
Another interesting factoid is the 1925 catalog, from Savage, list the model 99A to weigh 8lbs even. Well, if you weigh my rifle without the 11oz Lyman Alaskan, 7oz Stith mounts total weight 1.5 pounds, the bare rifle weigh 7lbs even....And no, the 3+ inches of barrel that supposedly got cut off did not weigh a full 1 pound!!!
Time to hit the books gentleman?

The gentlemen that you are disregarding and being condescending in your remarks wrote the books.
i have been building and shooting buying and selling guns for 60 years+. every type and grade. if i want to know something Savage 1895-99 these are the gentlemen i listen to.
i can discern disappointment in your post responses.
you thought you had found the Holy Grail of old guns. I have been there and done that.
I felt the same when these gentlemen dissected what i had and i learned i hadn't found the nicest specimen extant.
and everything these gentlemen pointed out was correct.
you will not find better or more aggregate knowledge on the savage than here.
Rory was the consummate polite gentleman with his responses, and i will openly bet you 100.00 that his assessment is correct.
cool off and you will learn much.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang.. now I'm really curious to know what an 1899A/pre-1927 99A barrel weighs. I've got a 22" 1899A SR barrel handy to weigh.. do I want to drag a takedown 1899A out of the safe? Hmm...

I can see a new chart for the bigger book - barrel weights. grin

22" 1899A SR barrel - 44.6 oz.

Last edited by Calhoun; 05/16/22.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
As far as his judgment on which model my gun is, he could very well be correct, and I was not condescending about that point. My point was he could not with absolute certainty determine that the bluing and stock had been redone with unclear and poorly lite photos. He also blew off an eyes on evaluation by a 40 year gunsmith with tons of bluing experience. He also avoided any comment about the remaining separate piece of metal were the front site would had been, because it put his 26inch barrel narrative in question...Will he avoid the full 1 lb weight discrepancy in the model 99A and my rifle?
Is this a discussion board or Calhoun's "I have spoken" board? I have no doubt they probably know more about Savage model 99s then anyone but they dont a free pass on every aspect of gun evaluation, sorry I dont buy into it...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SkinnyKenny
You guys are a echo chamber at this point...Later

It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and you're wrong about the configuration of your rifle being factory original. Just because you want to believe that something is so doesn't make it so. There is a saying among Savage guys, that when it comes to Savage, never say never, but the probablility of your rifle being original is to the right of the decimal point following 0.

Doug Murray's book has a number of errors in it that have been well documented and which Calhoun has corrected in his book.

My personal perspective is that if a firearm isn't in a recognized cataloged configuraiton than I want to see a factory letter confirming that any variation to the accepted standard was made at and documented by the factory. Anything that isn't factory original is "custom".

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
You used the catalog in proving your facts today, should we ignore it if I make my point quoting it? Maybe Savage overstated the weight of their rifle by almost a pound? Now I'll speak with certainty....no friggin way...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 74 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,629
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.