Campfire Ranger
O
If it has great optics I could care less what it was called. SMFH

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The name is so overtly deceitful, I'll pass on them. Buying optics is getting to be as confusing as buying a mattress.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
2 guys I've hunted with in Arizona (Where glassing is THE game) were product testers for GPO, They were VERY impressed.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bottom line on GPO, IMO, is this.
The people involved in GPO are long standing high quality folks from Zeiss & Swarovski. They've got decades of industry involvement and know how to produce and quality control products. They know what they're doing. Their products punch above their price point, however, if made in China is a deal braker for you then some of their optics aren't for you. Many folks need high quality options in Binoculars and Riflescopes in a sub $500.00 price range and GPO is a strong choice

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
If I'm forced to buy Chinese optics, I'm going Athlon. At least they're up front about it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Sub $500. optics has become a pretty crowded field. Who knows....maybe the clever name will give the brand an advantage.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
If I'm forced to buy Chinese optics, I'm going Athlon. At least they're up front about it.

Same here. Haven't seen anything sub 500 that performs as well as those rice burn'in Helos yet whistle

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Perhaps it cuts both ways too. Given European labor rates, one might think that a sub $500. German product is of inferior quality.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a pair of these GPO Rangeguide 10x50 Binocular Rangefinders and they are clear, light weight and the rangefinder works well also. I have no complaints.

Used them in January on my Scimitar Oryx hunt and will use them this December for my cow elk hunt.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0137-0b4f-00163e90e196?variation=1946277

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TeeBone
Sub $500. optics has become a pretty crowded field. Who knows....maybe the clever name will give the brand an advantage.

Clever? I don’t think being intentionally misleading is clever!

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

Clever? I don’t think being intentionally misleading is clever!

Am I okay with it? Not really, but understand how the game is played.

In the "About GPO" tab on their website, the company highlights their American and German management team, superior German engineering and design, and links to well respected manufacturers including Zeiss and Swarovski. The only clue to manufacturing sites is a reference to "global production facilities". No specific reference to their Asian partners who actually make the things. Perhaps they think the country of manufacture isn't significant. More likely, they hope the consumer will learn of the country of manufacture only when reading the engraving on the scope tube - after the purchase.

If they produce a high quality product at an attractive price point, and then stand by it, I wish them great success. But for me, it just feels like they are putting a little too much effort into concealing their business model, which isn't unique among sports optics manufacturers.

Last edited by TeeBone; 05/17/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Just remember, when you buy a GPO, you are buying a scope from people who thought "Passion" was a good name for a scope. I'd hold out for their Gladiator series.

This belongs in the "If your scope was your pecker" thread.

I'd have a Vortex Spitting Cobra.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Just remember, when you buy a GPO, you are buying a scope from people who thought "Passion" was a good name for a scope. I'd hold out for their Gladiator series.

In an effort to foster more transparency, their new lines will have names like Shanghai Select, Colectivist's Choice, Big Red, etc, etc.

In fairness, GPO might not take the cake for most purposely obfuscating moniker; from what I read about sourcing, VX Freedom might have that title.

Swamp Fox has some winners in the category of misleading names, too.

And you can buy USO that are Chicom.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
SMH at the idiotic comments. People so far removed from reality it is not even funny.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OEH:

LMAO at the names these optics companies are scrounging up. Some are straight up Orwellian Doublespeak. Must've tested well with the focus groups.

FWIW, I'd suspect that most here understand globalism to some extent. If not, most understand that the concept of "getting more for your money" usually means the inclusion of cheap labor somewhere along the line.

If someone likes their "German" optics straight outta Shanghai, more power to them. Use what you want. But you can't take some of the names these companies select too serious. You just can't.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Starbuck
OEH:

LMAO at the names these optics companies are scrounging up. Some are straight up Orwellian Doublespeak. Must've tested well with the focus groups.

FWIW, I'd suspect that most here understand globalism to some extent. If not, most understand that the concept of "getting more for your money" usually means the inclusion of cheap labor somewhere along the line.

If someone likes their "German" optics straight outta Shanghai, more power to them. Use what you want. But you can't take some of the names these companies select too serious. You just can't.

Like I said before I could care less what they are called if they are great optics.

The name is so overtly deceitful, I'll pass on them. Buying optics is getting to be as confusing as buying a mattress.

I wonder if this person realizes that Leupold's are not entirely made in the US. Is their mention of global sourcing on their webpage?

Here is a link to their about page. I guess they hide that they globally source their products.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 05/17/22.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
SMH at the idiotic comments. People so far removed from reality it is not even funny.

Let the gaslighting begin....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Let the gaslighting begin....

A dumbazz with hurt feelers who does not even own the product is posting drivel. GFY

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You guys have so much “Passion”.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It sure appears that some "Fire" members get way more enjoyment out of building a case against another member for liking or using a brand of optic that they do not like or use, than any enjoyment they get out of hunting or shooting. RJ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.