Hop To
S
stumpy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Good article.
Interesting about the number of pigs estimated killed. Myself and many other landowners never report kills and they never see a meat processor.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/outdoors/tompkins/5194208.html

stumpy

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good article. I didn't know the hogs had been purposely transplanted all over the state.

Jaywalker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't imagine one hog in 10 killed gets to a processor - between folks who work up their own and just leave them lay, so maybe there's a bunch more killed every year than we realize...however, there is no way to keep the numbers down or wipe them out other than poison or disease.

DJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I read that right, they surveyed only two processors that supplied the restaurant trade.

A lot of piggies get cut up at home, or by the local cut-and-wrapper. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
stumpy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I wish the TP&W would ask each hunter how many hogs they killed last year just like they ask about the number of migratory fowl.
That would be an interesting number, even if you factored out the TX brag factor. grin

stumpy

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We killed 5 last year.....4 one morning. Our new lease has more hogs.

Anyone see that the only means not available for Texas hog elimination is poison?

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stan I can sort of understand the poison deal. I don't know of one that would work. Can't just go to scattering poison all over the woods because you would kill any resident animal that eats it while hogs move all over the country and would be hit or miss getting into it.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand as well but, you often hear of poisoning as a method of controlling hogs.

I reckon some form of drought, or hog virus will be what reduces the exploding population. I'm concerned for fawns every year.....

All American

All the time
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I did a couple of articles on feral hogs about five years ago and was told then by a fish and game biologist that there were some 2 to 4 million in Texas. I hunted on a ranch northwest of Abilene and it was an absolute blast. I shot three big sows with three different lever guns. I would go back to Texas in a heartbeat for that type of hunt. The country was similar to our ranch here in eastern Montana except for the red clay and mesquite. It was a "poor man's elk hunt." Lots of walking. Still, having seen the damage those pigs were doing I fully sympathize with Texas landowners. Feral hogs are like 300-pound omnivorous prairie dogs.

D
DSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
When I go to the Laws and Regulations class for pesticide license renewal, they make a lot of noise about poisoning hogs. You will kill black headed buzzrds at the same time and that we were told is a penitentiary offense.

Everybody knows that whole cottonseed will kill hogs deader than a hammer. Be carefull because it will also kill horses.

Davis Chase

Davis Chase
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never heard that cottonseed kill hogs......East Texas with all it's thickets may be a place for cottonseed baited stations! No horses on our lease.

All American

All the time
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What is it of cottonseed they are feeding the deer down south these days??? Thought it was just that, in a ring of hog wire,stuffed full and full of protein.... Hogs would certainly get to that down south?

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, maybe that's why I've never heard that it harms hogs.....of course, I've never heard that it was for deer either.

Someone will chime in here and give us the low down.

All American

All the time
D
DSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It is generally fed to cattle. Most neighbors buy it from the gin at harvest time by the truckload. I have never heard of feeding deer with it, but they have a complex stomach (chew the cud) like cattle. Simple stomach animals like horses and hogs will die if they eat enough of it. they will eat plenty if given the opportunity.

Check the label on cattle feed. If it has cottonseed in it, it will say, usually, do not feed to horses. Call a local large animal vet and ask him...

Davis Chase

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,023
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.