Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Finally I’m on a pretty decent strength and aerobic program……for an elk hunt that I won’t be having! 🤬 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Didn't draw a tag the year. Might be a blessing. Had my knee replaced and am a little behind where I should or want to be. Then the weather sucks so bad its hard to get out and walk with the wind/rain/snow. Unbelievable how much strength you loose after this surgery, sucks. And put weight on to make matters worse. I'm in trouble!! Need the weather and leg to straighten out. Keep at it guys!!!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Seriously, Rona wrecked my azz. Lost thirty pounds of leg and arm muscles. Going to be a long summer of up the suck hikes.

Damn, sorry to hear that wyo. The good thing is, elk season is about the best motivation you can get to put in the work. Good luck with your getting back into shape.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wytex
You all will find when you hit the mountains your cardio is pretty good but unless you did some hip flexor and abductor training your legs will get shot pretty early.
Lots of going over downed timber that taxes your various hip muscles way different than normal gym exercises. You'll be swinging your legs over logs sideways and every which way except straight over..

This is good advice. I just did a hike with a lot of blowdown and it's always surprising how that will sap you if you don't do it much. Which reminds me one of the reasons why my favorite hunting spots are my favorites--no beetle kill so less blowdown than a lot of places. But still plenty.

I used to do a lot of leg lifts but I developed a little arthritis in one hip and my PT told me my hip flexors were way too tight and I needed to stop doing the leg lifts, stretch the hip flexors and tighten up the glutes to help with the hip alignment and reduce the arthritis. So far that's worked for the arthritis but I'm not looking forward to stepping over a bunch of blowdown this fall.

F
F
Monday & Thursday:
Pullups, single bar dips, goblet squats, suitcase carry KB mile

Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday:
Kettlebell swings
Suitcase carry KB mile

The KettleBell mile is a suitcase carry (I use a treadmill on a slight incline), changing hands when necessary. If the mile takes more than twenty minutes, use a lighter bell next time. Once the pace gets to 15 minutes or less, move to a heavier bell.

IC B2

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
bwinters tell us more about the LSD ?

Last edited by byd; 05/18/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Training? What training?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by XBOLT51
Training? What training?

That would be the training that, while you're halfway into your first good climb of the season at 10,000 feet and stopping to suck wind way too often, you wished you'd done more of.

I've never seen it work the other way, as in being halfway up and thinking "I really put in too much time training the summer."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Seeing the OP again this morning got me to thinking…….how do you train for disappointment? memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, go bowhunting.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb
Seeing the OP again this morning got me to thinking…….how do you train for disappointment? memtb

😂 I hadn’t considered that! 👍 memtb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hoarsecock
Right chaps, it’s finally warming up here, north of the medicine line.
Time to get my fat ass in shape for elk season.
What is everyone doing to get in shape?
I run a little, bike a bit. Plan on doing one steep hike with my pack at least one evening a week.
What’s everyone else doing?
How old are you donkey cock? I work for a living. That always keeps me in good enough shape. Try fitting 608 feet of angle iron in a day and you'll know what I'm talking about. Elk season is like a vacation. Still "work", but not quite.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fedora
Monday & Thursday:
Pullups, single bar dips, goblet squats, suitcase carry KB mile

Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday:
Kettlebell swings
Suitcase carry KB mile

The KettleBell mile is a suitcase carry (I use a treadmill on a slight incline), changing hands when necessary. If the mile takes more than twenty minutes, use a lighter bell next time. Once the pace gets to 15 minutes or less, move to a heavier bell.
Try carrying a suitcase welder through a barge with a 3 ton come along and all your other tools and get back to me

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Try carrying a suitcase welder through a barge with a 3 ton come along and all your other tools and get back to me

LOL, you're my hero.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run
Pack hike w 45#
Bike

I like guns | optics | fishing
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Between the covid and cancer treatments, I’m a mess. I’m working on it, but surely not going to hunt as hard and long as I usually do particularly for mule deer in the early season.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking of booking a high fence hunt in TX.
I hear is just as difficult as hitting the mountains but you get to eat real good and sit on the couch and get drunk with the other "hunters" each night.
Do they have a catering truck that visits the box blinds?
Do I have to fill up the corn feeder on my own?
If so I should probably start doing curls.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by memtb

My entire hunting career has been geared toward such. Pretty used to it now….grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I found that no matter how good of shape I was in, the elk made me wish I was in just
a little bit better shape.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
This reminds me I'll have to change the oil on my 4-wheeler.

best idea here yet.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,268
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.