-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
My 1962 manufactured Savage 99 trigger pulls at an average of 4.9 pounds. My gunsmith will not smooth it any more as he feels it would be dangerous. I respect that. I have noticed when I measure from the very tip of the trigger instead of the middle, it pulls at an average of 4.5 pounds, or 6 oz lighter. This is physics - the leverage effect. Due to the curved shape of the 99 trigger, it is not very comfortable or natural to pull from the tip, and a straight trigger would be better. I am just wondering if there is anyone who has somehow straightened the trigger or bought an after market product to help? Those ACE #19 shoes, if they are even available anymore, just widen it and do not straighten it, so I dont think they are the answer. I kind of doubt if there is anything more I can do, but I thought I would ask - how do I get a straight trigger for my 99?

Last edited by Stillkicking; 05/20/22.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You have a smart gunsmith. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a lot of variability in 99 triggers. Some are tolerable, some are God awful and there is everything between. Monkeying with them can make them dangerous and suspectable to slam fires or any hard knock can set them off.

IMO the trigger and your ability to control it is the number one determining factor in any gun's accuracy. Some would argue that point but again IMO a pristine bore is useless if you can't control the trigger.

My advice is if you don't like the trigger sell it and keep hunting for one with a better trigger.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just to add, I have a 1963 308 DL and it has an excellent factory trigger. No mush or creep in it at all. I've never measured it, but I am guessing it breaks clean at about 4 lbs. That is about the best you can hope for in any 99.

I've had others that felt like they travelled 1/2 inch and broke at 10 lbs.

I don't have those anymore because all of my guns need to shoot and be able to hunt if called on.

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
Just to add, I have a 1963 308 DL

You know what they say, photos or it never happened!

LOL
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My 68 DL had an excellent trigger on it.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I received a Ballard Pacific yesterday and naturally I had to try the factory double set triggers. The front trigger breaks at such a low point that my trigger pull gauge can't measure it. Maybe 3 or 4 ounces? Absolutely delightful. Unset is a pound. The point being, I have to agree with Randy about a good trigger being essential for capturing the accuracy of a good barrel. One without the other is a waste of a rifleman's time.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I received a Ballard Pacific yesterday and naturally I had to try the factory double set triggers. The front trigger breaks at such a low point that my trigger pull gauge can't measure it. Maybe 3 or 4 ounces? Absolutely delightful. Unset is a pound. The point being, I have to agree with Randy about a good trigger being essential for capturing the accuracy of a good barrel. One without the other is a waste of a rifleman's time.

The person makes the tool.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Reshaping the curved trigger is a good thought, or adding a pad to the front, so your finger contacts at the very end and gives more leverage. Easy enough to experiment by adding to the front of the curved factory trigger.

And I agree, messing about with the sear engagement on 99s is not generally a safe or encouraged experiment.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.