Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What ever you do, good luck.
I've run all kinds of traps. They will all work...to a degree. Until they don't.
One thing I've done that seems to work well.
Whatever trap you use, set the trap with the door blocked open (this will require a considerable amount of bait!) until the hogs get used to the trap and going in and out. Once they become accustomed to the trap, set the trigger.

Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Also, they will tolerate hunting pressure and trapping. They will NOT tolerate continued pressure from catch/bay dogs for long on smaller tracts. They will move out, and move back in once things quiet down though, so it is only a temporary reprieve.

Don't know where you "hog hunt", but here in southwestern Oklahoma, if you trap them, they soon become "trap wise". Shoot 'em up a time or two and they go nocturnal.
Keep shooting up a sounder and they will relocate. Sadly, nature hates a vacuum and another sounder will replace it....and the never ending cycle continues.
Dogs do little to actually thin hogs and they scatter sounders to the four winds and actually make things worse. Don't tell the dog hunters! They think they have the answer.
All findings of the Noble Foundation who has done extensive studies on feral hogs.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have hunted hogs with dogs for 45 years....

The dogs absolutely WILL make them relocate for a time until things get quiet again. They CANNOT stand dog pressure but will get trap wise and go nocturnal with gun pressure. Please tell me how your dog hunting for hogs has differed.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
S&A,

I've seen the dog hunters scatter sounders quite a bit down here.

Get called in to eliminate hogs on farms before planting and after planting quite a bit.

The farmers have better luck with making hogs disappear by 1) Hunters shooting them in the fields with thermal or NV at night. 2) Helicopters. 3) trapping a whole area, like a target. If the field is the target, concentrate efforts there around it, and trap outlying areas too.

The farmers don't really call the dog boys in when they have a problem. Maybe because the dog boys tend to be somewhat problematic themselves? Some are better than others.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve got a pig brig and it works great

Buy a pig brig and a cell cam so you don’t have to constantly check it in person and don’t waste your time with the other stuff. Big upfront investment but it flat works and you will be better off in terms of time and money in the long run

We have caught multiple times from the same site.

I just pulled the t-posts where we had the trap because after trapping and shooting about 50 in a 9 month period we have not seen a pig since we trapped the last group back in February

The most I have caught at once is 9 but I know of people that have caught as many as 40 at a time

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I have hunted hogs with dogs for 45 years....

The dogs absolutely WILL make them relocate for a time until things get quiet again. They CANNOT stand dog pressure but will get trap wise and go nocturnal with gun pressure. Please tell me how your dog hunting for hogs has differed.

You be right about one thing, when things get quieter, pigs WILL eventually return. They will never go away. They are here forever.

S&A, you're in Columbia, SC. SW Oklahoma is heavy into wheat production, both as grain and as pasture.
The problem isn't so much running pigs with dogs, it's the fences, pasture and grain the dog owners destroy pursuing their dogs! They do more damage than the hogs!
The hunters think they are doing a great public service, but seldom catch enough to make even a tiny dent in the population.
I think the guys with the infra-red scopes do more good than anyone else.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Guy up the road from me bought the pig brig. Im running my cell camera on it. We have caught 35 this spring. 14 was most at one time.

I havent had a hog pic in a month. Netting is durable, caught several over 200lbs

Last edited by TLB2; 05/19/22.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’d like to make a door like that for my round pens. I’m studying on that

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
RockinB, I’ve now got the 2 gents who run our lease looking at the Pig Brig that you put on here.

I believe they’re gonna spring for one for our club. We’ll just assess each member to cover the cost. We badly need to do something effective to put a dent in our problem.

Much appreciate the, Man.

Thanks to all the rest of you good folks that contributed here too.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
https://jagerpro.com Good reading & info on sounder behavior

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great idea, I'd like to see one and get some measurements. I can get plenty of old shrimp or purse seine webbing and build something similar.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There was a YouTube video i watched, forget the name or who made it.

He had a big circular trap with a camera and remote triggered gate.

He watch it every night.

Slowly they starting coming a feeding.

His point was you gotta wait........

He did that for 3 wks or so. Finally got the big brood sow to come in.

Trapped like 30 at one time.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.