Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Grocks,

Irons don't sweep Open Division Tournies,because they are SECRETLY "better" and "faster". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Well, the shooters sweeping Open Division are the better shooters that do benefit. That's what the study I posted says. It's the average shooter that doesn't practice from the holster that will likely not benefit until they do regularly practice that way.

In a 2016 article, Paul Howe observed that no one has yet passed his pistol standards using a slide mounted red dot sight, and in a recent podcast, Mike Seeklander (another trainer, USPSA Grand Master and experienced Open division competitor) advised listeners that the red dot sight was not an advantage inside of 10 yards, with some disadvantage associated with finding the dot upon presentation of the pistol.

Those observations track with our study results. Adding a slide mounted red dot sight typically doubles the cost of the pistol, providing at best a 10% gain for those at already high skill levels. For those not already at the USPSA B class, IDPA Expert, 80% on FBI qualification test or higher skill level, particularly those that do not dry fire regularly and do not practice getting the gun from ready (or holster) to target under time pressure, adding a red dot sight to the pistol in an attempt to buy skill with equipment will likely not produce the desired result.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
If you are on your sights at presentation, then you are on the DOT if you can't find the DOT then you aren't on your sights

Exactly, if your presentation sucks, adding an RDS isn't going to help, and may very well make things worse. There is no substitute for practice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I still need to wring this bish out.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by deflave
Some thoughts for you monkeys before I roll out this morning:

Don't fall for the trap about speed and irons vs speed and dot sights as it applies to close distance. I fell in this trap with my first couple forays into optics on defensive handguns and it's a fallacy. The site does not make you slower. You are making you slower because you're not learning. You're reverting.

When you figure out the correct presentation you will find that the dot being somewhere else is because you are not gripping and presenting your pistol correctly. This is something that you're not seeing with irons and it's the cause of a lot of your "What the fugks" when you head downrange and look at targets. If your grip is pushing left, the dot will tell you. If your grip is pushing things right, the dot will tell you. If you're heeling, the dot will tell you. If you're sending rounds south of the intended target because you're pushing the gun at the apex of your draw, the dot will tell you. The dot will tell you by not being there when you hoped/thought it would.

To save range time and money (or do it at the range if you want) put a holster on and set your timer with a par time that suits you. If you're a one shot, 2 seconds, from the 7yd line guy with irons, then set your par time to 2 seconds. Gun should come straight up and out while your support hand moves toward the center of your chest. When they meet, slide the gun toward the target. Don't bring your head down. Don't lean forward. Don't "blade" toward the target. Just stand there, draw with both hands in motion, and push the pistol toward your target while keeping the top of the slide parallel to the deck. Trigger should be breaking with the dot on what you want to hit as the par time beeps.

Do this 10,000 times and reduce your par times accordingly.

Once you get your old bullschit out of the way (this will happen because not seeing the dot is going to fix you) you are ready for some range time. While on the range use an iron equipped handgun that you've proven effective with. Run some drills with it, run some drills with the dot. If your dot is still slower you're doing something wrong. This is due to your not listening to Flave's previous writings. Listen to Flave.

If things are where you want them to be, reserve some ammo for 25 and 50 yard shooting. You may find that your par time at the 5yd line somehow became the same at the 25yd line. Your brain will whisper something like "holy fugk, Flave really is God." While that may be true the reality is that the dot is simply allowing you to do what you've always been capable of doing. It's doing this by showing you what's wrong with you. It's showing you by disappearing until you get it right.

If your optic equipped handgun came with irons that co-witness, great. But ignore the irons. Tape over them if you have to. If your optic equipped pistol did not come equipped with co-witness irons, leave it that way while you're learning. I find some of the worst advice you can give a guy is using the front or rear sight to assist with finding the dot. You're just keeping yourself in the same old rut. They are there in case the optic fails. Nothing more. Ignore them until you've mastered the dot. Which is really mastering your grip and presentation from the holster.

The issues of fogging, dirt, etc. have (in my experience) been moot. I live in what most would consider a mildly humid region and while there is a thin film of fog when you exit an A/C'd building or vehicle, it would in no way impair your shooting of a person that was in need of shooting. On most quality optics, you won't even know it's there.

Last but not least, when you read or hear about a person that claims competition shooting has no relevance to real world application of force, you are reading or hearing the words of a fugking idiot. While some types of gear, teaching points, and tactics may not be transferable to on-duty use of firearms, the vast majority of it is. When you reach regional, state, and national level champion type shooting, you are in the F1 world of handgunning. If those people make a separate classification for dot sights vs. irons, you can rest afugkingssured that they have determined the dot sight gives an advantage that irons cannot compete with. Shooters being comparable of course.

You're welcome,
Flave

Flave,

I recently picked up a new optics ready carry gun, but I've used red dots on hand guns in the past.

Which one do you recommend?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been dabbling a little. I vote yea.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Don't fall for the trap about speed and irons vs speed and dot sights as it applies to close distance. I fell in this trap with my first couple forays into optics on defensive handguns and it's a fallacy. The site does not make you slower. You are making you slower because you're not learning. You're reverting.

When you figure out the correct presentation you will find that the dot being somewhere else is because you are not gripping and presenting your pistol correctly. This is something that you're not seeing with irons and it's the cause of a lot of your "What the fugks" when you head downrange and look at targets. If your grip is pushing left, the dot will tell you. If your grip is pushing things right, the dot will tell you. If you're heeling, the dot will tell you. If you're sending rounds south of the intended target because you're pushing the gun at the apex of your draw, the dot will tell you. The dot will tell you by not being there when you hoped/thought it would.

To save range time and money (or do it at the range if you want) put a holster on and set your timer with a par time that suits you. If you're a one shot, 2 seconds, from the 7yd line guy with irons, then set your par time to 2 seconds. Gun should come straight up and out while your support hand moves toward the center of your chest. When they meet, slide the gun toward the target. Don't bring your head down. Don't lean forward. Don't "blade" toward the target. Just stand there, draw with both hands in motion, and push the pistol toward your target while keeping the top of the slide parallel to the deck. Trigger should be breaking with the dot on what you want to hit as the par time beeps.

Once you get your old bullschit out of the way (this will happen because not seeing the dot is going to fix you) you are ready for some range time. While on the range use an iron equipped handgun that you've proven effective with. Run some drills with it, run some drills with the dot. If your dot is still slower you're doing something wrong. This is due to your not listening to Flave's previous writings. Listen to Flave.

If things are where you want them to be, reserve some ammo for 25 and 50 yard shooting. You may find that your par time at the 5yd line somehow became the same at the 25yd line. Your brain will whisper something like "holy fugk, Flave really is God." While that may be true the reality is that the dot is simply allowing you to do what you've always been capable of doing. It's doing this by showing you what's wrong with you. It's showing you by disappearing until you get it right.

If your optic equipped handgun came with irons that co-witness, great. But ignore the irons. Tape over them if you have to. If your optic equipped pistol did not come equipped with co-witness irons, leave it that way while you're learning. I find some of the worst advice you can give a guy is using the front or rear sight to assist with finding the dot. You're just keeping yourself in the same old rut. They are there in case the optic fails. Nothing more. Ignore them until you've mastered the dot. Which is really mastering your grip and presentation from the holster.

The issues of fogging, dirt, etc. have (in my experience) been moot. I live in what most would consider a mildly humid region and while there is a thin film of fog when you exit an A/C'd building or vehicle, it would in no way impair your shooting of a person that was in need of shooting. On most quality optics, you won't even know it's there.

Last but not least, when you read or hear about a person that claims competition shooting has no relevance to real world application of force, you are reading or hearing the words of a fugking idiot. While some types of gear, teaching points, and tactics may not be transferable to on-duty use of firearms, the vast majority of it is. When you reach regional, state, and national level champion type shooting, you are in the F1 world of handgunning. If those people make a separate classification for dot sights vs. irons, you can rest afugkingssured that they have determined the dot sight gives an advantage that irons cannot compete with. Shooters being comparable of course.

You're welcome,
Flave

Flave,

I recently picked up a new optics ready carry gun, but I've used red dots on hand guns in the past.

If you've used them before you should have an idea of what features you want. If that's a typo I'm afraid I don't have a real solid answer for you as I'm not real dogmatic about them.

I can say that the Triiicon SRO is probably the easiest one to start with and you'd be hard pressed to find something more amazing. It has great coatings, a perfect auto on/off that self adjusts brightness, and a huge window that makes them very easy to learn with. They are very durable in my experience but they're not recommended for duty use.

You can't go wrong with any of the better quality ones. The upper tier Sigs, Holosuns, Trijicons, AIMPOINTS, and Leupold DeltaPoints that I've been around all work very well.

Be cognizant of the fact that not all optics readily mount to all types of pistols. Especially when things are marked Sig or Glock.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by toad
Been dabbling a little. I vote yea.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hey toad.

I like your big long barrel.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I think anyone that states RDS are a great improvement over irons with respect to speed and accuracy at short ranges are overstating their benefits. There are studies that she even the best shooters only benefit a little from RDSs, and poor shooters tend to do somewhat worse.

This is a study that's been bandied about for several years on many handgun shooting websites that suggests the limited benefits of a red dot for most people, while pointing out that lasers have a much bigger bigger benefit than RDSs for most shooters.

https://blog.krtraining.com/red-dot-study-key-points/

No dispute at longer ranges the RDS is better for accuracy.

There is zero value in that study.

Zero.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The comparisons in the study are proper comparisons. That's a value.

Grocks,

Irons don't sweep Open Division Tournies,because they are SECRETLY "better" and "faster". Hint.

It's consistent with this Stick's statement, nothwithstanding Stick's suggestion that Open Division shooters are using the production guns and slide mounted carry optics we're discussing here. They aren't sweeping Open with the types of guns and optics were talking here. There are different divisions for thoses. Shooters in Open are typically using custom compensated race guns with frame mounted optics. The study compares it properly - a particular shooter's scores in Production Division versues that same shooters scores in Carry Optics Division.

"The high hit factors for USPSA classifiers in Carry Optics, relative to those in Production division, are typically a few percent (less than 10%) higher, indicating USPSA’s own assessment of the value gained by adding a red dot sight. By comparison, high hit factors for Open division, where the red dot sights are mounted to the frame, can be as much as 20% higher than the Production scores."

A neophyte shooter who starts out with irons, never learns how to shoot well with them, who switches to a carry optic, and through time and training becomes very proficient shooting with a carry optic may conclude may conclude that carry optics give a shooter a huge advantage. But it's a false dilema. The proper comparison is one where a shooter has reached top proificiency with both to determined the advantage the carry optic provides. The study does that, and the advantage is smaller than most people assume.

That's the value of the study: proper and consistent comparisons.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 05/23/22.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You're welcome,
Flave

Flave,

If you've used them before you should have an idea of what features you want. If that's a typo I'm afraid I don't have a real solid answer for you as I'm not real dogmatic about them.

I can say that the Triiicon SRO is probably the easiest one to start with and you'd be hard pressed to find something more amazing. It has great coatings, a perfect auto on/off that self adjusts brightness, and a huge window that makes them very easy to learn with. They are very durable in my experience but they're not recommended for duty use.

You can't go wrong with any of the better quality ones. The upper tier Sigs, Holosuns, Trijicons, AIMPOINTS, and Leupold DeltaPoints that I've been around all work very well.

Be cognizant of the fact that not all optics readily mount to all types of pistols. Especially when things are marked Sig or Glock.

Deflave.

Yes, that was a typeo, I have NO experience with red dot on pistols.

Thank you for your advice. I'll check out the Triiicon.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well the more I thought about it, I went and ordered one of the uppers linked above with the Holosun 507c X2 for $419 plus a Dagger lower for $99. Can't get into a Glock MOS for that plus I like the 507C, I've got one on my 686 and had one on my G45 MOS, never had any problems with them and the window is a bit bigger than the RMR.

The Aimpoint ACRO P2 is probably the pinnacle but it's wider than the frame and I'm not sure I'd like that, plus no one has a deal on the right now. If I find I like the dot, I've got a spare G19 I will have milled later. But for now this is too good of a deal to pass up.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Stuck a Holosun on a mk111 Ruger .22 to see if I’d like it.

Now I want one on everything.

That said, if your presentation sucks, it ain’t gonna make it better. If your presentation is in the ballpark of lined up (like mine) and your getting a bit far sighted (like me), it’s a game changer (to use an over used term).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If a skilled iron sight shooter sees less than 10% advantage to adding a dot, then for those shooters the dot is 90+% pointless; plus you've shoved a piece of plastic between those irons you use so well, to catch glare/dirt/dust/moisture and snow.

The exception would be the competition shooter who is striving for any point/time advantage he can get. To them, 5-7% is a win or a loss- a huge deal. I shot with old Bullseye shooters in my youth and dabbled in IPSC when it was a thing. so I really get that.

If a guy wants to try a dot, hell yes go for it. I've got a scary accurate old Buckmark which, with irons will make my little spinner target dance at 50 yards. Maybe it's time to slap a dot on it and see if I can do it from 75.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The comparisons in the study are proper comparisons. That's a value.

Grocks,

It's consistent with this Stick's statement, nothwithstanding Stick's suggestion that Open Division shooters are using the production guns and slide mounted carry optics we're discussing here. They aren't sweeping Open with the types of guns and optics were talking here. There are different divisions for thoses. Shooters in Open are typically using custom compensated race guns with frame mounted optics. The study compares it properly - a particular shooter's scores in Production Division versues that same shooters scores in Carry Optics Division.

"The high hit factors for USPSA classifiers in Carry Optics, relative to those in Production division, are typically a few percent (less than 10%) higher, indicating USPSA’s own assessment of the value gained by adding a red dot sight. By comparison, high hit factors for Open division, where the red dot sights are mounted to the frame, can be as much as 20% higher than the Production scores."

A neophyte shooter who starts out with irons, never learns how to shoot well with them, who switches to a carry optic, and through time and training becomes very proficient shooting with a carry optic may conclude may conclude that carry optics give a shooter a huge advantage. But it's a false dilema. The proper comparison is one where a shooter has reached top proificiency with both to determined the advantage the carry optic provides. The study does that, and the advantage is smaller than most people assume.

That's the value of the study: proper and consistent comparisons.

The article states that between 6-7 years ago somebody gathered 118 people of varying competence with irons sights and had them shoot targets at known distances to ascertain a baseline of speed/accuracy.

They then (with no training) had them shoot a comparable pistol equipped with a red dot and noted that none of them improved.

Well, no fugking schit.

To further affirm just how fugking dumb the people compiling that "data" are, they throw in this little gem:
Originally Posted by Dumb Fugk
Those with more experience and skill with firearms were able to use the laser and red dot more effectively, with those at the instructor level having the most success with the red dot sight and slightly more difficulty using the laser (likely because it requires a target focus).

One of the key pillars of getting pistol shooters up to speed with a red dot sight is making sure they understand that they no longer have to come back to The Artist Formerly Known as the Front Sight. You have to un-train that target, sight, target, sight, target, sight discipline that has been instilled in them. The red dot does not require you to stay on the dot. You can in fact look through the window and watch your target fall with the dot superimposed onto your target. It is one of the greatest attributes to a slide mounted red dot sight. When shooters stop focusing on the dot and let it become part of their peripheral, you will witness that shooter hit turbo mode. This happens regardless of distance because that is how our body, brain, and eyesight are supposed to work. You don't focus on the basketball, you focus on the hoop. You don't focus on the laces, you focus on the receiver. You don't focus on the stitching, you focus on the 1st baseman. Based on the above quote, it is painfully apparent that those conducting the "study" don't understand the basic principles of using a red dot to advantage.

The ability to maintain focus on the target is the whole fugking point of the red dot.

By all means, discuss your concerns about dust, water, battery life, fog, expense, bulk, etc. But don't try to convince people the dot is slower or will make you less of a shooter than irons. That is 100% horse schit.

Cease teaching, you should.

Start learning, you must.

You're Welcome,
Flave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You're welcome,
Flave

Flave,

Deflave.

Yes, that was a typeo, I have NO experience with red dot on pistols.

Thank you for your advice. I'll check out the Triiicon.

If you're shopping around and have the time, Sage Dynamics has tested the more popular ones and posts them on YouTube. He has his own standardized test that he puts them through.

He seems to have the personality of a scissor jack but he does put gear through its paces and posts about it honestly. Seems to anyway.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SargeMO
If a skilled iron sight shooter sees less than 10% advantage to adding a dot, then for those shooters the dot is 90+% pointless; plus you've shoved a piece of plastic between those irons you use so well, to catch glare/dirt/dust/moisture and snow.

The exception would be the competition shooter who is striving for any point/time advantage he can get. To them, 5-7% is a win or a loss- a huge deal. I shot with old Bullseye shooters in my youth and dabbled in IPSC when it was a thing. so I really get that.

Let's all thank Christ that SargeMO wasn't involved in the Apollo Space Program.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you are on your sights at presentation, then you are on the DOT if you can't find the DOT then you aren't on your sights

Exactly, if your presentation sucks, adding an RDS isn't going to help, and may very well make things worse. There is no substitute for practice.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The article states that between 6-7 years ago somebody gathered 118 people of varying competence with irons sights and had them shoot targets at known distances to ascertain a baseline of speed/accuracy.

They then (with no training) had them shoot a comparable pistol equipped with a red dot and noted that none of them improved.

You're Welcome,
Flave

Well, that is the point of the study.

Adding a carry optic to a handgun is almost certainly not going to provide an instantaneous benefit to the shooter. That benefit, if it ever to be realized, must come with training. If the shooter doesn't train with it, it m,ay never benefit him.

People that ask if a carry optic will benefit them, the only correct answer is "maybe."

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

So you don't agree practice is necessary. Just add a carry optic and all bad habits are gone. Got it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

So you don't agree practice is necessary. Just add a carry optic and all bad habits are gone. Got it.

I hope you hit the "Lady" box in PracticeScore.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,100
Posts18,483,097
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.