-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been out 12 years. Still stress a bit over stuff like where to drink my first cup of coffee: bed, sofa, or deck?

Don’t miss any of it, had zero trouble adjusting.

What fresh Hell is this?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I got out of management and and into a job managing only myself it was like retiring.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good for you. I retired at 49, 8 years ago. Everyone said your “ your to young to retire”. Lol.

Don’t miss the job, miss the guys and gals I worked with.

Don't gobble at me
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well, today I get to have a conversation with my boss and let her know that I am having knee surgery next month. After I heal from that, I will have the other knee replaced, and once I've recovered sufficiently from that, time to decide when I want to retire. I'll be 62 at the end of the year and have fresh wheels.....

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Been retired just over 15 years now. I think I was born to be retired.

I wake up each day and lie there a while to figure out what day it is. Usually, that's by remembering what was on TV the night before. The only reason it matters is because I golf on Mondays and Thursdays, and always have early morning tee times. In winter, it doesn't matter one whit what day it is.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

J
JHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sept 2nd is my last day of work…

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Pulled the plug 4 years ago at 60 when we were asked about moving and taking a promotion. Told them A M F and took my money and ran. Hunted elk all of Sept, filled my OIL Idaho moose tag and skied 72 days this winter. Miss some of the people, but not the BS or getting on airplanes. Wife has 3 more Monday’s to go so I will have to stop telling people I am a kept man or that I have a sugar mama!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I retired last September, and adjusted immediately. I got to actually see my younger kid play baseball this year. I do what I want when I want (unless the female boss gives me a job).

I don’t fish as much as I thought I would. It’s nice to know I can go during the week without fighting a crowd though. I may go in a little while after the rain gets out of here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm heading for a "soft" retirement, I think. Will be 62 this year, but I'm having a hard time mentally walking away from my business that I built up for over 20 years. Current line of thinking is that I promote one of my front desk guys (Very capable) to the role of managing the shop, me moving back to the 3rd office and then choosing my hours. Having more flexibility would likely sate my appetite for a while. I've been working since 1978, and I'm getting tired.

My biggest fault (or virtue), I guess, is my loyalty to my employees. My business is probably worth 4 or 5 million without the property, which I own, and it would be easy to sell and walk away and just be a landlord. But I've seen that movie played a few times, and 9 times out of 10, new ownership will turn the place upside down, piss off employees who end up leaving, and the business loses it good reputation. I owe them more than that. They stood by me when times were tough.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll know you've mastered retirement when you're not quite sure what month it is and could careless.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't retire so much as quit the public job and take up home repair. Our home is one long repair......
I do what I want at the speed I want and if I don't feel like it we hire help or a contractor to just do it.
Not fishing or shooting as much as I'd like but not having to deal with the corporate azzhats in ATL is like heaven.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been retired just over 6 years now. Called it quits at 66; to qualify for my full social security. Have been collecting the pension since age 62 from my 2nd last employer. What bothers me now is I hit 72 this year and get forced to take that first distribution from my traditional IRA and the market sucks. IIRC I have to take at least 4% and with the current value of the account that's a lot less than it was not that long ago. Don't really need it which is why I haven't touched it or my Roth, or the annuity, or any other investments that I have. They say I have until the end of this year to take that IRA distribution so perhaps I'll just hold off for now and hope the market comes up a bit more. Know what else sucks? Every dollar of what I get from these investments ain't worth as much as I thought it would be thanks to inflation. Once upon a time I joked around that the next depression or recession will arrive about the time I want to tap into my life's savings & investments and discover they are getting devastated. I might just be a prophet.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I’ve been working a day or two a week since i was 48. Dont think i’d give that up. Been awhile but I like my job self employed and get payed every day. Wifey has the insurance. If my stocks hit i wont even waste my time here we you folks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Been retired just over 15 years now. I think I was born to be retired.

I wake up each day and lie there a while to figure out what day it is. Usually, that's by remembering what was on TV the night before. The only reason it matters is because I golf on Mondays and Thursdays, and always have early morning tee times. In winter, it doesn't matter one whit what day it is.

I gauge what day it is by the thickness of the newspaper. Sunday’s paper are the thickest, Monday’s are the thinnest and the rest don’t matter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

That was my first thought too...

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am thinking of retiring sometime between now and shortly after the first of the year. I was ready to pull the trigger the other day when my boss told me I had to start driving back in every day. When I told him I had not interest in doing that and if he required me to do it, I was gone, things changed and I was not required to drive in.
But that did get me thinking and I will be 62 in Nov. so I have started getting the paperwork rolling for my heath insurance and checking with my finances to makes sure everything was good to go. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but it is nice to know that I don't have to put up with a bunch of crap if I don't want to.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
I'm only eight months into retirement and it's taken me about six of 'em to get used to it... Now? I love every day...

Same here....and loving every minute of it!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Batchief909
Originally Posted by Redneck
I'm only eight months into retirement and it's taken me about six of 'em to get used to it... Now? I love every day...

Same here....and loving every minute of it!

Guess I have a couple more months before I’m used to it

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,376
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.