Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I have been loading a rather wide variety of pistol cartridges and a few rifle for a few years now. I have always used a single stage press and, as per my standard procedure, have always checked every powder charge from my measure on a digital scale for accuracy. I don't mean one is checked out of every 5 or 10, I mean every charge. While this is usually customary with loading hunting or target rifle cartridges, and understandably so, I suppose maybe it is a bit too "persnickity" when it comes to loading pistol ammo. But, that is what I have been doing since day one and no telling how many thousands of rounds I have loaded this way. Yeah, it is time consuming. It is not uncommon for loads to measure 1/10 or sometimes 2/10 of a grain over or under my intended charge. If so, I adjust accordingly with a powder trickler until the scale reads the correct exact charge.

I am now thinking about upgrading to a progressive loader for pistol cartridges and it has occurred to me that there can be no way to get consistent exact powder measurements in each cartridge using a progressive loader. So, what is the accepted variance of a powder charge with progressive loaders? Maybe I have been too anal about exact powder charges? Frankly, if I were not concerned about as much as 2/10 of a grain over, I would save a LOT of time using my single stage. I do like to load mostly book max loads, but when I look at the pressures these loads are supposed to be generating, they are always a good bit less than SAAMI maximum pressure specs. Does 1/10 or 2/10 of a grain make any significant difference in pistol ammo? So, what is your acceptable variance as to pistol powder charges?

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Charge them the way you have been. Do every step PRECISELY the same.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You can't hold a pistol steady enough to see any difference in accuracy that 1/10-2/10 of a grain would make. I've been loading handgun ammo using an RCBS Little Dandy for many years, never weighed charges but verified charges when loading max. loads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am no authority on this, but a powder measure gives me ammo with the accuracy I want from most handguns. The small caliber (.25 ACP, .32 ACP, .32 Long, etc.) loads are more touchy (0.2 grains is a 10% error in a case that does best with 2.0 gr like the .32 Long) than the big cases (.357, .44, .45), but we don't generally get into maximum loads with the "pocket pistols". They are low power/low pressure guns to start with. I see no need to test the upper limits of these smaller caliber guns. I usually look for good accuracy rather than higher velocity, so I try to find a "fluffy", fast-burning powder (like Clays, Bullseye or Red Dot) that drop small charges with less weight error in my volumetric pistol measures. It also seems prudent to look at several data sources for loading recommendations, then choose loads that give some wiggle room before a minor error would put it over the top/max load (or result in a squib). It appears that the reloading manuals of today have been edited by attorneys, but it seems unwise to ignore the manufacturers advice and the pressure tests they conduct. An error of 0.1 or 0.2 grains is a rather small percentage error in a larger case. Those reloads are constructed with more dense powders with slower burn rates, still allowing a small cushion off the max loads.

My cheap and practical handgun measures drop reliable charges with a steady technique. I'm shooting for pleasure and recreation, not in competition, so I can usually find an accurate-enough load without wasting components. My old Lee dippers work as well as their Perfect powder measure, or I can use the RCBS Lil Dandy, Bonanza with the rotors or the Hornady-Pacific to get the load I want without much effort, resulting in a more satisfying experience at the loading bench. I have a brief warm-up with whatever powder and measure I use, checking 2 or 3 dropped charges for accuracy on a scale, then bulk-load a block of cases and check the accuracy again by weighing another charge. The powder level should be kept about the same for all cases and I use a baffle in the hopper when one is available, and homemade baffles work fine. So far, in the last 40 years, there has been no abnormality in the first and the last readings . Yeah, I still do the double-check with a flashlight, making sure that bridging hasn't occurred. Using a measure seems about as quick as using a programmed electronic dispenser and a matching scale without having to go through the setup and tear down procedures. I have not been able to discern any difference in accuracy between weighed charges and those that are thrown by a decent measure when an appropriate powder is used.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m not sure about any other progressive presses, but it’s pretty simple to check a powder charge on my Dillon Square Deal B. Pull the pin at #3 before you seat, dump the case. Simple, but time consuming. I’d venture to say if you feel like you are more comfortable weighing each charge…by all means, do so. Once I get my powder charging station set, I’ll check, and re-check, 5 random cases out of the first 20 and if their within 2 to 4 tenths of a grain…we rock and roll. Take notice of where your powder stops in the cases at your bullet seat station each time you’re ready to set a bullet on top of the case. If it don’t look right, stop and check it. It’s amazing how accurate and repeatable my powder charger is on that press. I’m thinking most others are like that as well, but this Dillon is the only progressive I’ve used. Good luck and happy loading/shooting.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, you're too anal. As gunswizzard said, you can't shoot good enough to see 2/10ths of a grain. But don't feel bad, lots of guys spend time trying to control the variables that don't matter.

Best bet is to throw, weigh, and record a string of 20 charges, set for your desired charge weight. Find the Extreme Spread and Average. Find the Standard Deviation too if you want. Now you can adjust your charge weight if you're concerned. Or you can quit using powders that meter poorly just because they were endorsed by Abraham Lincoln. But at least you'll have an idea. And you'll save time. Less fondling and more shooting.

Last edited by dla; 05/23/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have already established, and recorded the mass of your completed loads (to the point you have a feel for the standard deviation of your completed cartridges mass) then you can use that completed mass as a tool to QC your finished loads...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17Fan, 28 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,593
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.