Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I threw up a little when I saw the mounts. Please buy it and get rid of them. LOL

I'm not a fan of the mounts either. I've gotten to where I put Talleys on everything I plan to use much.

Me too, really like Talley bases and split rings.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Those Enfield actions were quite heavy. In past years they were a favorite in 06 to punch out to 300 H & H. They have a very long action. Not bad, but heavy. Beautiful rifle.

I'd pass on it for no other reason than the weight.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If you like it and it checks out. Get it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by hanco
I threw up a little when I saw the mounts. Please buy it and get rid of them. LOL

I'm not a fan of the mounts either. I've gotten to where I put Talleys on everything I plan to use much.

Good luck finding a set of Talleys for a '17 Enfield. Just get a new set of rings and leave the base alone.

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by hanco

Good luck finding a set of Talleys for a '17 Enfield. Just get a new set of rings and leave the base alone.

As I got to looking closer at the mount setup, I got to wondering about this myself. It's only tapped for 3 base screws, so that limits me to a one piece base unless I want to have it tapped for a 4th hole. I think just replacing the rings is going to be my simplest option. I figure a scope with a longer tube and good eye relief will be a must, with the very long action and how far forward the base has to be mounted. I've got an extra Conquest 3-9x40 I may try.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B2

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I did get it on my postal scale. It's a heavy beast, definitely will be used as a shoot house rifle, not one to be carried through the woods. 10lbs 4oz as it sits. I figure my Conquest 3-9x40 will add a few ounces.

I can understand why the Enfield action would be more popular to use for rifles chambered in the big African rounds where the weight would be a plus to soak up recoil.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Ask yourself if it didn't have that wood, would you still buy it? Checkering does not indicate a upper tier rifle despite the wood.

I would check the headspace before I left the store with it.
Prezacktly. Nope.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If I had done that stock work, I probably wouldn't brag on it but I wouldn't be too unhappy either. If I had done that metalwork, I would wear a bag over my head if I was to be seen with it. I would not buy it at any price. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Did you get it? Shoot it?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 72 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,989
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.