Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
well, sort of.
LINK

Slick way to end high speed chases, but...

General Motors (GM) plans to equip 1.7 million of its 2009 model vehicles with the system that allows pursuing officers to request that engines of stolen cars be remotely switched off through the OnStar mobile communications system.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Who the heck would want to steal a GM car? wink

Last edited by teal; 10/09/07.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How do the OnStar folks know which car to disable? Do the cops have a database connecting license plates to VINs or something? What if the bad guy has switched plates with somebody, and his victim gets her engine disabled just as she's pulling into traffic? I s'pose we'll be held responsible for that liability too, huh? How does GM know the caller is a cop in pursuit rather than somebody (possibly a cop) playing a practical joke on somebody?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
won't take long for those signals to be hacked, I bet. Kinda like the high tech equivalent of stealing your friend's distributor cap.......

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Inasmuch as power steering etc would also be shut down if the vehicle's engine is shut down remotely, one could speculate that even with pursueing LEOs choosing the "best time" to execute such a tactic that this could aggravate the risks to other vehicles in the disabled vehicle's path.

Bet the OnStar and GM legal and risk mgmt folks look long and hard at this and have all sorts of disclaimers..IF it ever happens.Jim

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
won't take long for those signals to be hacked, I bet. Kinda like the high tech equivalent of stealing your friend's distributor cap.......

I wouldn't want to try hacking them. Hacking the old analog garage-door openers was one thing: hacking point-to-point digital authentication is something else--regardless of what they say in the movies.

It'd be a lot easier to get your cop friend drunk and persuade him to tell you the authcode he uses when he's in a chase.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barak - you wouldn't want to try because of the challenge or because of the ramifications?

Not looking to paint you in a corner - just trying to see if that type of signal is difficult or not - I would think getting into the Onstar network to operate it's functions remotely would be the way to go - not intercept a signal and change it. Then again I have 0 background in either.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On Star* is another reason I will not buy GM, the other is that my local dealer royally screwed me on a repair with service contract...no more GM for me. Another thing, what's with this black box that records info and stores it after a crash. I buy the car and the cops get the info without asking nor subpoena. I'd like to disable that sob too.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The story is that the owner must report the vehicle stolen, and then the cop supposedly can call Onstar for a "depower" signal. Supposedly the Onstar will flash the lights on the vehicle so the cop can supposedly verify the right car. Then onstar can supposedly reduce power to the vehicle (not cut off).

That's a lot of "supposedlys" that Big Brother is not, in fact, watching us...... FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
257;
My '07 Toyota Tacoma has that black box. In the owner's manual it tells what it can record, and "assures" me that the info is just for Toyota... sick

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 10/09/07.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
Inasmuch as power steering etc would also be shut down if the vehicle's engine is shut down remotely,

According to the article, it won't kill the engine. It will slowly reduce HP until the car can't move. That will give the crook time to get off a busy highway before he becomes a traffic hazard. My guess is that when a crook discovered what was going on, he'd stop wherever he was, like in the middle of a freeway, and bail out.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wonder if they'll still break the windows out, even though the doors will unlock from satellite, too...?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
Barak - you wouldn't want to try because of the challenge or because of the ramifications?

Because of the challenge. Modern digital cryptography is essentially unbreakable, even at Fort Meade, until somebody finds a quick way to factor multi-thousand-digit numbers. I don't know the details of OnStar's satellite downlink, but it's certainly digitally encrypted.

If you wanted to send a bogus OnStar signal to a car, or to many cars, you wouldn't want to try it with a laptop computer and a handheld transceiver: you'd have to somehow compromise the security of OnStar Central so that you were commanding the encryption rather than trying to break it.

(Unless the OnStar computers in the cars run Windows, of course.)

The OnStar folks seem to be smart enough to keep humans in the loop. For example, if you call in a car-unlock request ten thousand times consecutively with incremental four-digit security codes, a human is likely to become suspicious, whereas a computer might not be. Also, it takes an entirely different skill set to "socially engineer" a human operator than it does to attack a webserver.

Nah, I'd work on the cop end of things, not the tech end.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most likely the individual officers will not have the code, any such athorization will be at the supervisory level. Most department pursuit policy, is structured so that a pursuit has to be authorized by the suporvisor to even be initiated, the suporvisor also can stop it at any time if they deem it to be more of a hazard that is called for.
I would think the point to point authentication from onstar would have to come from the supervisor, AFTER the true identity of the pursued vehicle is established through DMV records, and it's status. The only time such athority could be used would be say a pursuit of a stolen vehicle driven by a suspect who is proven or could be an extreme danger to the public or in a hostage situation. Not because Joe Sixpack had a few and was running for home to avoid another DUI. The only persons who should worry about this would be the Tony Soprano types who think they need to hide something.

Last edited by blinddog1; 10/09/07.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
God sakes folks, wake up a little. Of course Big Brother is watching all of us 24-7. Where do you think you live, anyway, in a free country where you have rights to privacy?

Wayne

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
How do the OnStar folks know which car to disable?

Apparently the onstar system includes a gps. They know where your car is alla damn time - and presumably you.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
well, sort of.
LINK

Slick way to end high speed chases, but...

General Motors (GM) plans to equip 1.7 million of its 2009 model vehicles with the system that allows pursuing officers to request that engines of stolen cars be remotely switched off through the OnStar mobile communications system.

Well.....you just gave me another reason to keep all of my older pickups.....been wanting to rebuild a couple of them anyway.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Exactly...............................................

Try to disable onstar and see how your vehicle runs.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If the purposew is to deactivate stolen vehicles why to the police need to be involved. Just call Onstar and report the vehicle stolen and let Onstar do it. Some way to prevent the car from staring after it had been turned off would prevent accidents though it might cause a line to back up at the gas station.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by peepsight3006
God sakes folks, wake up a little. Of course Big Brother is watching all of us 24-7. Where do you think you live, anyway, in a free country where you have rights to privacy?

Wayne

If they're watching me they must really get bored.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (338rcm, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,494
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.