-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Getting ready for the summer. Wondering if anyone has experience with blackout curtains in their windows and if they actually noticed a difference in the home temperature at the end of the day.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
yes. in bedroom year round. But light sensitive. If too hot run a fan

Open windows rest of house at night when daytime temps above 80. Then close during day if too hot and no breeze. Run curtains during higher heat days

This is in northern latitudes of course

Last edited by ribka; 05/22/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can use tinfoil and cardboard, or car reflectors, or even silver wrapping paper .... anything that reflects UV rays back out the window is better than blackout curtains.

At any rate whatever you do it will help to lower the temp inside. Done properly it can save you hundred$ on your electric bill as well.

We actually had 3M come out and tint our south facing windows with this shatterproof adhesive that made it next to impossible to break that glass (they use it on school windows) .... our power bill dropped in half in the summertime.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SCRooster
You can use tinfoil and cardboard, or car reflectors, or even silver wrapping paper .... anything that reflects UV rays back out the window is better than blackout curtains.

At any rate whatever you do it will help to lower the temp inside. Done properly it can save you hundred$ on your electric bill as well.

We actually had 3M come out and tint our south facing windows with this shatterproof adhesive that made it next to impossible to break that glass (they use it on school windows) .... our power bill dropped in half in the summertime.

That is significant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JakeBlues;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend was a good one and this finds you well.

About 10 years or so back my good wife had some heavy duty roller shade type blinds installed in our upper floor windows.

Not only are they cooler in our Okanagan summers, they help with the cold in winter as well.

Sorry I can't tell you how much difference it's made in energy consumption in summer or wood burned in winter, but if I leave them up on a hot or cold day, I can tell the inside temp in the house immediately when I get home.

Hopefully that was somewhat useful to you or someone out there tonight sir.

Good luck whichever way you decide and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
When I lived in Fairbanks, I knew light-sensitive people that had to foil bedroom windows to be able to sleep during days with 22 hour daylight.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes. When we moved into our home we had the windows tented on the south side of house and that helped. Then we added blackout curtains and that reduced our electric bill for air conditioning noticeably. Worth the expense in comfort alone.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My parents were always going to “get around to” tinting their southern facing windows. Never did and ended up sun baking the floor. Permanent burns on the vinyl planking.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,735
Posts18,494,938
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.