Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
NIce find

BY MICHAEL WING TIME MAY 18, 2022

At Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas, a would-be treasure hunter “wet sifts” through pay dirt with a set of screens. Immersed in water, finer material washes away, leaving coarser rocks caught in the metal mesh. Sometimes, there are diamonds.

It was here, at the East Drain of the park’s 37.5-acre tilled soil search area, that a regular visitor, Adam Hardin, on April 10 found his first-ever diamond weighing over 2 carats. The rough-shaped, coffee bean-brown gemstone is about the size of a pinto bean, and is the largest diamond found at the park so far this year.

“It was right in the middle when I flipped my screen over,” Hardin told park officials. “When I saw it, I said, ‘Wow, that’s a big diamond!’”

He placed it in a pill bottle and carried it to the park’s Diamond Discovery Center, where staff confirmed the find, and registered it as a 2.38-carat brown diamond.

Following the state park’s tradition, Hardin named his diamond, dubbing it “Frankenstone” because of its monstrous appearance. “I thought of the name because it has a pretty and kind of not-so-pretty look to it,” Hardin said. “Us diamond miners call that ‘character!’”

He’s been digging for diamonds for over a decade, and has found hundreds of littler ones over the years. The quest for the valuable gemstones has even gotten competitive among park regulars.

“One of the other guys and I have been going back and forth, seeing who can find the biggest diamond,” Hardin said. “I found a big one, then he got a 1.79-carat, and we were joking about who would find the next big diamond and be ‘king of the mountain.’ As soon as I found this one, I had a feeling I had him beat. Now he’s trying to find a bigger one, but I’m planning on staying on top!”

Park interpreter Wayman Cox said wet sifting with a set of screens of varying mesh sizes is a common method used by visitors to quickly sort gravel by size and wash away loose dirt. When proper technique is employed, the heavier diamonds settle on the bottom of the screen; when flipped over, the sparkling stones sit on top of the pile.

“Mr. Hardin’s diamond is about the size of a pinto bean, with a coffee-brown color and a rounded shape,” Cox added. “It has a metallic shine typical of all diamonds found at the park, with a few inclusions and crevices running all along the surface.”

According to the park, Hardin typically sells his diamonds locally, and that’s what he’s planning to do this time.

Hardin’s diamond is the largest found at the park since September, when a 4.38-carat yellow gem was located on the surface of the diamond search area by a visitor from Granite Bay, California. Hardin’s Frankenstone is the largest brown diamond removed from here since the 9.07-carat Kinard Friendship Diamond was produced on Labor Day in 2020.

To date, 260 diamonds have been registered this year at Crater, totaling over 44 carats in weight. It averages 1 to 2 diamonds picked by park visitors per day. All told, over 75,000 diamonds have been found at the park since the first precious stones were discovered by John Huddleston in 1906. The farmer owned the land long before it became a state park in 1972.

The largest diamond ever found in the United States was plucked from here in 1924 during early mining operations on the land. This white diamond with a pink cast weighed 40.23 carats and was dubbed Uncle Sam. It was later cut into a 12.42-carat emerald shape and purchased by a private collector for $150,000 in 1971.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder if it's gem quality?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Wonder if it's gem quality?

No idea. But, good for him. Sounds like he and his buddy have fun with it.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been there 3 times looking for diamonds. Never found one, but folks find them almost every day there. It is the ONLY public diamond mine ON EARTH.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was there as a young kid…..nothing found either!

For many, many years I’ve suggested that periodically they “salt” the area with a few diamonds to keep the public finding them. When announced stirs-up those that think they will find the next one! 😉 OK…..calll me skeptical! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like the diamond he found was 2.4 ct uncut, not sure what that translates into as a cut and polished stone, but would have to think it won't be even close to 2 ct.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
wish they would have estimated its value

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
wish they would have estimated its value

I would imagine very little until, and IF, it was successfully cut. I have a 120+ Carat raw Ruby in the same boat. It could conceivably be worth some major bank, but there is no way to tell until it is cut. AND, it would cost several thousand dollars to have it cut, with no guarantees.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you like playing around in the dirt on one of the 27 days in the year that Southwest Arkansas isn’t miserably hot and humid or cold damp and rainy, then that’s the place for you. I grew up 30 miles from there and I went once in my entire life.

Last edited by JoeBob; 05/23/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I found one, I'd name it "MAGA".....just to piss them off.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"Rare, precious....spend 1/3 of your paycheck for 10 years to show her that your Love is Real....."

Pfft.......

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went there once with the wife and like everyone else I gave it a try. Found out real quick I make a lousy diamond miner. I'll bet it was 120 degrees in that barren field. Once was enough.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TimZ
It sounds like the diamond he found was 2.4 ct uncut, not sure what that translates into as a cut and polished stone, but would have to think it won't be even close to 2 ct.
“Mr. Hardin’s diamond is about the size of a pinto bean, with a coffee-brown color and a rounded shape,” Cox added. “It has a metallic shine typical of all diamonds found at the park, with a few inclusions and crevices running all along the surface.”

Probably wind up being several smaller diamonds when cut, according to jeweler friend.

Last edited by DHN; 05/23/22.

Dale

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was their one day when I was a teenager when a woman found a pretty good one. It was pretty dang neat to be their when it happened!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Watched on Tiktok they are deep plowing last few days.

I used to go to the Sapphire mines in Franklin NC when I was a kid. Went summer of 2016 but my hands were almost too blistered from the transplant meds. I could only screen for a couple hours.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by slumlord

I used to go to the Sapphire mines in Franklin NC when I was a kid. Went summer of 2016 but my hands were almost too blistered from the transplant meds. I could only screen for a couple hours.
My wife found a 67 Carat ruby when we were there in 2006. That was pretty neat.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DHN
Originally Posted by TimZ

Probably wind up being several smaller diamonds when cut, according to jeweler friend.

That was my take.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by slumlord

My wife found a 67 Carat ruby when we were there in 2006. That was pretty neat.

Wow. Cool.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We went there when I was a little kid, remember it being hot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 20 invisible), 1,976 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.