Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My mother was a native Ukrainian that served in the Red Army (as a sniper no less), and was a POW that ended up in Dauchau. She was a foreign language student at the university in Kiev when she was drafted. She was fluent in German(which undoubtably saved her life as a POW), French, Russian, Ukrainian, Turkish, and could get along in all those dialects which exist throughout eastern Europe.

My Dad was a GI that waded ashore onto Omaha Beach in June 1944. He was a red-blooded American boy and found you could have a lot more fun in France if you spoke the same language as the natives.

Somehow my folks met in southern Germany after the War, and Dad brought home a wife and a son(my older brother)in 1946. Ma spoke English very poorly, they spoke French until my brother started trying to talk, and then they resolved to speak only English so he wouldn't have trouble in school. But even I started school with a Russian accent.

I learned German from my Mom, and then took some more in college. I helped my cousin and his family immigrate from Moldova about 15 years ago, picked up a little Russian as they were here and learning English.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a great story, Cowdoc! This is a great thread...

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My cousin's younger son Yuriy was 4 when they immigrated from Moldova. He learned English very quickly, from watching TV and playing with my 5 year old daughter. The older boy was 12, and had to have a personal tutor to get up to speed in English so that he didn't get behind in school.

I find it interesting that Yuriy thinks in English, his folks still hear the English, think in Russian and then translate back to English to speak. The older brother says he thinks in English, or Russian depending on the situation. Now that the boys are gone from home the folks admit they speak mainly Russian at home, after spending 15 years sticking to English for the boys sake.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have found myself combining both - often when I am stressed or multi tasking on the mental level - I will start the sentence in English and finish is Serb. Never used to be a problem till I got out of the Navy - everyone else there was the same way. You end up processing both without realizing you are listening to one or the other.

Was driving thru St Louis and there was a Bosnian AM station on - I was listening along without realizing it until the passenger mentioned she didn't understand a word - I then realized I never noticed it WASN'T English.

I still dream in Serb once in a while but my skills are rusty.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teal, I've done that multiple times, especially when traveling one direction or the other. Gets some funny looks sometimes.....

Personally, the quickest way to become functional in a language has always been with the aid of several glasses of beer and a pretty girl. I bet I could learn to get by in a language in two weeks, if so motivated. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I can bluff my way through English, Scottish, Irish, New Zealander, Australian and amd progressing through American. That's 6 languages.

The slang is the hardest part.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I can bluff my way through English, Scottish, Irish, New Zealander, Australian and amd progressing through American. That's 6 languages.

The slang is the hardest part.

AGW

grin

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
English and English wit a coonass dialect. Iat Cher.

Tact is knowing how to tell someone to go to hell, and have them thank you for it.

NRA Life Member, BAA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always think of that scene in Airplane, where the older lady says, "Stewardess, perhaps I can help, I speak Jive". grin

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't really count as multilingual but I've found that memorizing a few stock phrases will get you by in most situations.

I can say "Go back to your own country!" in 7 distinct languages and another 4 regional dialects.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I guess you're not part of the Welcome Wagon?
laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure I am!

"Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos!"
"Willkomen in die Vereinigten Staaten!"
"Bienvenus � l'Am�rique!"
"Добро пожаловать в Америку"

Now amscray! grin

Okay, I'm just kidding. But I do know how to order a beer and ask where the bathroom is in a few languages. Gotta learn the important stuff.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'm with you on that. I know enough Spanish for a Mexican vacation.

Dos cervesas, por favor. Uh, honey...you want anything? laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm finding the responses to how many and diverse languages that each of you speak even more fascinating than the "line of work" thread that I also found interesting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I speak Okie english and just enough spanish to another drink something to eat and get my face slap or my butt whupped.
For everything else theres Babblefish.

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 280sRN
Kyle....Isnt Swahili all that tounge clicking noise.......Why on earth wold you want to be proficient in THAT???? (LOL) I LOVE the romantic languages!!! I had a patient one time tell me something in Italian.....I asked im to repeat it about 10 times because it sounded so beautiful....the translation was........."I have laid on my nuts till I cant feel them,....will you turn me over nurse Kat?"

Dont that beat all!!!? Captured by a beautiful language and all he wanted was off his boys!!!

No, Swahili is really a cool language...it flows and lots of the words are really cool. I did quite a bit of work with it before we went to RSA, but the guys where we were spoke various Bantu languages in their villages and mostly Fanagalo at work. The Bantu languages like Xhosa have the clicks.

Swahili and Fanagalo are both trade languages, hybrids of words from arabic, Boer dutch, Portuguese, various black dialects, and even some English..pidginny English.

I love kufa for dead, tembo for elephant, jambo--hello, asante--thank you, simba for lion, nyati for buffalo. Probably a function of too much Ruark and Hemingway in my misspent youth.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After several Bitburgers I've been complimented on my command of German, by a German no less. Only problem was that he was on fifth or sixth Bitburger. That was a lot of years ago while on my second tour at Bitburg. It was a place, and people, I dearly enjoyed. I do know some ASL but mostly I finger spell; I'm almost up to idiot level.
batch

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should mention that in addition to the "standard" languages I speak, I can also speak Redneck, Fundamentalist Christian, and Long Island Sophisticate with the best of them... laugh grin whistle

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Knew a guy from Africa in basic - taught me one phrase in swahili - "um chinga ungaway" Allegedly means "Bite my crank" - don't imagine I'll have much use for it.

Me

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Does speaking in tongues count?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (222Sako, 22kHornet, 25aught6, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,380
Posts18,527,505
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.