Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MD,

I found a few of your articles in some of the old AR - back in the good old days. Your reply was sufficient to substantiate what I was feeling and others wrote.
It seems like the articles now are paid advertisements. Further complaint for me was also stated by others: plastic crap - AR-15 and semi auto pistols. I don’t give a rip about either.

I’m guessing that a lot of new buyers of guns buy these things though, maybe even some older loonies?

I’ve moved a lot in my lifetime and it appears that most of the magazines I had back in the day were tossed - Outdoor Life, American Rifleman, Field and Stream, and most of the hunting magazines and gun magazines I used to devour. Good magazines like Rifle and Handloader though have stuck with me. Unfortunately, when I was over-seas, I took Handloader and Rifle on-line. Now the old computer I downloaded on is virtually dead. I’ve replaced many, but not all.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I always enjoyed grays sporting journal, and fur-fish-game. Been a while since I bought a magazine though

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The rag wecreive is just burnt barrel trash

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Was it the old Sports Afield magazine that had the Grampa and the Kid articles? Those were my favorites
A lot of those were compiled in a book called "The Old Man and the Boy."

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lost interest for hunting magazines back in the 1980's.

I guided hunters in Wyoming with some of the guides stories were published about.

Irwin and Peggy Bauer wrote some articles about hunting and being in camp with some of these guys. The stories were embellished to just sell magazines. Real BS!

One particular article in Outdoor Life was about top Wyoming Mule deer guides. I worked with and for these guys. The outfitter was just a business man. He ran a huge outfit with many camps. He gave hunters a great experience from his camps but couldn't guide himself out of a paper bag. I never saw him ride a horse and he sure never guided any of his hunters. The guides written about hated deer hunting and would only guide elk hunters.

Another well known writer was a wimpy ass whined and complained about how hard the elk hunt was. What did he expect for a camp that was 30 miles back from the trailhead? He never paid his bill and never wrote the article after going on a 10 day elk hunt.

Some of the writers today you can just tell they are full of IT.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pullit
I look at the armed citizen section and toss mine

Pretty much the same here. Almost nothing that interests me in the American Rifleman. Been that way a long time.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The NRA needs fresh blood! Starting at the top!

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We should save them for the coming toilet paper shortage!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm with the majority. I've gotten my share of AR over the decades of being a life member. I generally speed read the "Armed Citizen" and trash it. The new tupper
ware bargain rifles, hi capacity handguns and bull pup shotgun articles are not my thing.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agreed. I suspect but do not know that if the NRA published one and only one official journal, that is less scattered material, there might be more interest to go with more waste. I have multiple copies of the old "cardboard" cover Wolfe publications as I kept replacing copies in storage when I moved. I don't much care for any of the current paper and YouTube style publications on guns and hunting - Barsness excepted as he conveys a sense of fun - and some other writers are good enough to engage my interest despite subjects that I don't much care about. I'll blame the decline of the Rifleman and so much else on Wayne LaPierre as choosing to dilute the soup by the time honored method and seeking more news stand sales while caring less about long term members.

IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
The latest issue has a cover article about some 9mm semi pistol that is a clone of some other 9mm pistol. Who the hell cares?

Any hunting articles in either the Rifleman or the Hunter usually involve some company introducing a new plastic rifle and paying for a hunting trip for the guy writing he article. Gun goes bang. Game goes flop. Whoop de doo.

My wife gets an Email newsletter called NRA Women. It has much better articles than either the Rifleman or the Hunter.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a chronological library of old American Rifleman, dating back to the early 70's, chock full of good useful information, the old ones had at least 1 gunsmithing project how tos, one stock making or refinishing how to, at least 2 articles on loading for common and obscure cartridges, history of classic arms, in depth cast bullet how tos....arguably, one of the most useful magazines ever printed. Then came the rapid downhill slide, by 2008, it was not worth the paper it was printed on. In my opinion it was vying for 'most worthless gun rag' with Guns and Ammo (who never met a product that they didn't like).
In retrospect, where would we be today if we had listened to Neal Knox...every "whacky" conspiracy theory he spoke of turned out to be true. Eric Holder's Fast and Furious is a perfect example. Knox predicted this, but I was too stupid to believe at that point, the govt would stage false flag events to influence outcomes. Boy, was I (we) wrong. Harlen Carter and Neal Knox were the hardliners that believed in take no prisoners 2nd Amendment, no compromise. If we had only listened. Now we have a self serving pork barrel bureaucracy, which should be called, Keeping up with the LaPierres.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hi Mule Deer:

This is slightly off-topic, but one of my favorite hunting stories of the past was, I think, the first of yours that I ever read. I was either in junior high, or early high school so early to mid-80's, when I read your story of guiding the young teen with a flinch, and resuscitating his rifle-shooting with your Ruger .220 Swift, and then guiding him to, as I recall, an antelope. Was that your article? If so, do you recall what year and magazine?

Thanks,

Greg Perry

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Greg,

Yep, that was my article!

Am not totally sure which magazine it appeared in, but the pronghorn in question was taken in 1988. Had been guiding for a rancher/outfitter for a couple years in central Montana. and the guidee was a guy just out of high school, as I recall from somewhere in the Midwest, whose life's ambition was to be an Alaskan hunting guide. So he purchased a Ruger 77 .338 Winchester Magnum, the rifle he brought to Montana for the pronghorn hunt his father bought him as a high-school graduation present.

He went with the outfitter the next day, and could NOT hit anything with the .338, despite being a good-sized guy. (Have yet to find much correlation between size and recoil resistance.) So the outfitter handed him his .25-06, and the kid still couldn't hit anything--no doubt because the kid was still flinching. After lunch the outfitter asked if I'd take the kid out, and I said OK as long as it wasn't that afternoon.

The outfitter (like many) didn't have a real range. Instead he had clients shoot over the hood of a pickup to "confirm" the rifle's zero. I'd built an actual shooting bench--not fancy but adequate--behind the main barn. Put up a foot-wide "gong" made from what I recall was a hubcap at 300 yards--which measured around 15" in diameter--but also had a paper-target board at 100. Had him sit down at the bench with my .220 Swift and shoot at the 100-yard target. He jerked (not flinched) noticeably when firing the first shot, then said, "Hey, that doesn't kick!"

He put three in about an inch at 100, then clanged the gong a few times. The next morning we within 150 yards of a pretty big buck, and while lying prone next to him I noticed the .220's muzzle was wobbling noticeably. Whispered in his ear, "Relax. He isn't going anywhere." Whereupon the muzzle steadied, the rifle went off, and the buck trotted slowly in a 30-foot circle and fell over.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yep, that's the one. I was 18 then, and your magic way with words captured my imagination. I haven't shot my antelope yet, but I do have a Ruger .220 Swift. I think I read that during a study hall in a magazine borrowed from the library, and I still remember it to this day.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Where are we going in the Wayback Machine today, Mr Peabody?" "Well, Sherman, today we're going back to 1988 - to a ranch in Montana where I'll introduce you to a guy named Barsness who'll teach you a few things about antelope hunting. Leave your Magnum at home. Then we'll continue on to 1953 and we'll swipe an American Rifleman magazine out of somebody's mail box so I can show you what a real gun magazine should be like."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have lost interest with any thing associated with the NRA until WLP is gone!

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only magazine I get I actually care for is Sporting Classics. Mainly to look at all the stuff I can't afford. I also like and keep Virginia Wildlife magazine.

The NRA magazines are nothing but advertisements. I've never seen a gun review in them that was really objective. I got a bunch of free subscriptions when I bought something last year that I can't even remember. Game and Fish, which is sometimes worth looking at, and Whitetail Hunter, which always has some hunter holding a up a rack that looks like it was bred and cultivated behind some high fence. Some others are just junk, too.

I wish I didn't get so many magazines. They aren't even good for burning. They make glowing ashes that fly away. I usually justy thumb thru them real quick and throwp them in the recylcing bin.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have all American Rifleman magazines going back into the 1920s. Stopped keeping them about 20 years ago. Although I get 2 other gun mags the only ones I keep are Rifle, Handloader and Sports Afield.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Bob338
The NRA needs fresh blood! Starting at the top!
And a BLOOD LETTING !!!!!

"not too grumpy"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,429
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.