Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Most gunshops around here do it and store the copy with the 4473. I have no problem with it as you have already given them all the info that's on it so whats the difference if they have a copy or not? I DO NOT however put my SSN on the 4473. If a store says they require it I point out that the form itself states it as optional.

If you are worried about identity theft believe me there are far easier methods for a thief than breaking into a gun shops physical files and stealing paper 4473s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Most gunshops around here do it and store the copy with the 4473. I have no problem with it as you have already given them all the info that's on it so whats the difference if they have a copy or not? I DO NOT however put my SSN on the 4473. If a store says they require it I point out that the form itself states it as optional.

If you are worried about identity theft believe me there are far easier methods for a thief than breaking into a gun shops physical files and stealing paper 4473s.

+1
I don’t get the aversion to them making a copy. In most states it’s a public record/document which people could get anyway. Heck you don’t even need a driver’s license to find someone‘a address. Most areas (local governments) have that information on their GIS system which many are now online. Don’t forget all all of your real estate sales are public information and easy to find.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Same thing was told to me at Tractor Supply when they wanted my birthday and copy of my DL to buy DEF fluid. Yet no one else is doing it.
WTF, over??? Why??

Maybe because DEF fluid contain urea, and urea can be used to make urea nitrate. Urea nitrate can be used as an explosive like ANFO.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/explosives-anfo.htm

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They've been doing driver's license and CC W here in Florida for a while when you fill out a 4473.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
They keep copies of it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by jnyork
Same thing was told to me at Tractor Supply when they wanted my birthday and copy of my DL to buy DEF fluid. Yet no one else is doing it.
WTF, over??? Why??

Maybe because DEF fluid contain urea, and urea can be used to make urea nitrate. Urea nitrate can be used as an explosive like ANFO.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/explosives-anfo.htm

Ok but they are the only ones doing it. If it is law, then there are a lot of law breaking companies in MT.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by marktheshark

Not worried about ID theft, but going above the law in what is required bugs me. Like I said I don't like filling the form out or getting permission to practice our freedoms. Now the ATF is violating the law by keeping these forms on computer getting a backdoor registration.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
We don’t scan or keep the front of any drivers license. We do scan the back. We use an electronic bound book and it mirrors our POS system. At the time of checkout, we scan the model number on the gun, the serial number on the gun and then it prompts for drivers license. We scan the back and that specific firearm is disposed correctly in the customers name. No mistakes that way….and that’s a huge ordeal when selling high volumes of firearms. Everything matches on the paper form (we physically check it against the drivers license before checking out) and in the bound book.

Where does that info go/get stored?

By scan, I mean the scanner for the POS system. Not a physical, hard copy of the license. The info is stored in our computer system and doesn't go anywhere.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It says right on my Drivers Lic. (not for ID purposes).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
It says right on my Drivers Lic. (not for ID purposes).
But did you get the Fed-approved "Real ID?"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When did the ATF start requiring gun stores to keep copies of Driver License of buyers?

Between the feds and your LGS can be a layer cake of regulatory authority to whom the dealer may have to answer. In some urban areas this sometimes comes right down to a city license for gun dealers. Did someone specifically cite an ATF reg when they took your DL info?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by johnw
When did the ATF start requiring gun stores to keep copies of Driver License of buyers?

Between the feds and your LGS can be a layer cake of regulatory authority to whom the dealer may have to answer. In some urban areas this sometimes comes right down to a city license for gun dealers. Did someone specifically cite an ATF reg when they took your DL info?

No they didn't, but they emphatically said it was the law. I am pretty sure in MT no such law exists so it would have to be federal. I wanted to get my ducks in a row before asking them to show me the reg. I am also sure they will refuse to show it to me because it doesn't exit or there are several FFLs selling illegally.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've never carried a SS card. I had one when I was a kid, but have no idea what happened to it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.