Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’ve been legally buying and selling firearms privately (and legally) for almost three decades. Just one of the perks of living in a relatively free state.

Yeah I have done just that my entire life.
Same.

Generally better deals both buying and selling privately.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I have no doubt that every dealer transaction involving the 4473 goes into a database.
7mm

I would be interested to hear more about how you think this is happening. If the 4473 is filled out hard copy, when doing the NICS check they ask if you are purchasing a handgun, long gun or both. The form is stored at the FFL premises. How is "Big Brother" getting make, model and serial number into the secret "Database"?

Federal law requires any shuttered FFL to turn in all 4473's.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sure would be a shame if a shed where the FFL kept those records were to burn down right before turning them in.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Sure would be a shame if a shed where the FFL kept those records were to burn down right before turning them in.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever listen to the dealer when he calls the NICS when checking if you are legal to buy a firearm? Every essential piece of information on the 4473 goes to the person at the other end of the line- phone or computer contact- and ends up in the NICS computer.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sheister
Ever listen to the dealer when he calls the NICS when checking if you are legal to buy a firearm? Every essential piece of information on the 4473 goes to the person at the other end of the line- phone or computer contact- and ends up in the NICS computer.

The only firearm information given is firearm type. No Make, model or SN.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 78CJ

And your name ,address,physical description,what type of gun,age.That`s all!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

That depends on what state we are discussing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don't have to do a NICS check here if you have concealed carry permit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No I haven’t. But doubt I’ve had a dealer run a NICS check on me since 96 or 97. They definitely haven’t since 2006.
Private sales here are legal. Long guns just checking DL is all that’s needed. Handgun a purchase permit or CHP plus DL required. Seller is required to keep a record (CYA)but is not required to report it. Plus there isn’t any way for a private seller to access NSP or NICS.

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have no doubt that every dealer transaction involving the 4473 goes into a database.
7mm

I would be interested to hear more about how you think this is happening. If the 4473 is filled out hard copy, when doing the NICS check they ask if you are purchasing a handgun, long gun or both. The form is stored at the FFL premises. How is "Big Brother" getting make, model and serial number into the secret "Database"?

Met a retired gun store owner.
I asked him about what happened to 4473's.
He said he called BATFE for instructions. BATFE said boxed 4473's go into huge warehouse where they are kept. He never heard back from BATFE where to send them

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
7mm

They can destroy 4473's after 20 years.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
martininstrument: What makes you think a law enforcement officer checking a serial number of a "suspicious" firearm is doing something "ILLEGAL"?
I've done it hundreds of times - granted its been 24+ years since I last did so.
Where "dereliction" of duty COULD possibly come in to play is if the "suspicious" firearm came up reported stolen and said law enforcement type did NOT follow up on that stolen firearm.
But it sounds to me that you are off on a different tangent than that scenario?
Do you also think it is illegal for a law enforcement type person to run a suspicious vehicles license plate or V.I.N. (vehicle identification number) for stolen?
If there has been some "law" passed and instituted in the last 24 years that makes checking on a firearms legal status "illegal" then I have not heard of it - and if your scenario should be true then I am thankful the statute of limitations has LONG since passed.
By the way I have also been buying firearms for more than 57 years now both via private sales and business sales and NONE of those hundreds of transactions have caused me any legal grief.
Perhaps thou worries to much?
Long live the Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
160: Where do you think all those 4473's go after the FFL holder dies or closes up shop? Hint: It is in West Virginia

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My friend who closed her gun store after 30-something years in business sent her 4473's to ATF. Too bad a few old car batteries happened to get spilled in her storeroom. Sulfuric acid and paper doesn't play well together!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
78CJ: What is Section A box 3 labeled? Hint: Serial Number. How do you think firearms are traced?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bottom line to me is this.
The people who run our federal government have been waging an undeclared war on the American People for some time.
Do you honestly think that they’re NOT interested in what you may have should push come to shove?
I swear, sometimes I think some folks actually refuse to see, and verbally attack those of us who do.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Oregon is another with (not so) instant back ground checks performed by State Police.

Make, modej, and serial number are given to OSP via phone with every purchase.

My last two Oregon transactions have been delayed. One for three days, an earlier transaction (Ruger 10-22) for 182 days.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had many private firearm transactions and that's exactly what they are - PRIVATE!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
You don't have to do a NICS check here if you have concealed carry permit.

That's the way it should be. Here in NY if you get arrested even for the smallest thing the next day or 2 someone will be showing up to take your permit and all hand guns. So if you still have it you're not in any trouble.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, AKislander, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 12 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.