Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Golf ball mortar I just finished building. I bet I could hit Joe Martin's house from here. (Of course, why would I want to shoot Joe's house?)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It'll be at Noxen. Fore!!

Jeez, Fireball must think I'm nuts - I didn't time the screws or wing nuts. Mea Culpa.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
We made one to shoot D batteries back when I was in high school, but it wasn't that fancy. A chunk of pipe with an endcap, lantern striker, a couple hinges on a slab of plywood, and a turnbuckle hooked to a tacked on washer to adjust elevation 😂

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice. What makes it go bang?

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Black powder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't like things that make loud noises. They scare me. Ima go take a nap.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is the work of a man with too much time on his hands

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hold my beer!!! Cant wait to see that go off. Lol

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Beautiful craftsmanship! - as always!

What's the finish on the 'barrel'?

My buds and I woulda had fun with that back on the farm!!

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Beautiful craftsmanship! - as always!

What's the finish on the 'barrel'?

My buds and I woulda had fun with that back on the farm!!

Thanks Mike. Finish is good old black stove paint. It's what we used on our cannon barrels back when I was into reenacting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Golf ball mortar I just finished building. I bet I could hit Joe Martin's house from here. (Of course, why would I want to shoot Joe's house?)

Joe can be your forward observer.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 05/25/22.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Super nice Gary. That would be a lot of fun!

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Imagine pulling that out of the golf cart and setting it up on the first tee...

FORE!!!

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well done!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you guys are hilarious!!!

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyo1895
you guys are hilarious!!!
You think they are funny here!! You should come spend the weekend with us at the Rendezvous. Lol. My guts hurt by the end of the weekend. I will video the golf ball cannon going off.

Joe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll bring the golf balls since I have plenty and can't seem to do much good with the clubs. What a hoot! You are the man Gary.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Jeez, Fireball must think I'm nuts - I didn't time the screws or wing nuts. Mea Culpa.
and that threaded bolt is not plumb

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Be careful boys my son lost half of his hand with a black powder cannon !!! it was 50 years to the day when my grand father lost half his arm forth of July with a muzzle loader !! the the old timers said gramp could still out work any other man drunk or sober!
and my son went on to finish 3rd in the nationals that year in shotput .he has also gone on to be one of GE,s top engineers .world wide hunter fisherman and also gun collector at the at age of 40, including many savage 99s so not all bad

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 99guy
Imagine pulling that out of the golf cart and setting it up on the first tee...

FORE!!!

...er, "PULL!"

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by topnotch99
Be careful boys my son lost half of his hand with a black powder cannon !!! it was 50 years to the day when my grand father lost half his arm forth of July with a muzzle loader !! the the old timers said gramp could still out work any other man drunk or sober!
and my son went on to finish 3rd in the nationals that year in shotput .he has also gone on to be one of GE,s top engineers .world wide hunter fisherman and also gun collector at the at age of 40, including many savage 99s so not all bad

Indeed, black powder is not to be taken lightly. I served on several muzzle loading cannon crews earlier in my life - 12-pound Napolean gun and 3" Ordnance Rifle, Civil War, and 2-pound galloper, 6-pound battalion gun, and 3-pound grasshopper, Revolutionary War (British, 42nd Reg't of Foot - The Black Watch). At one point we had to complete the National Park Service artillery school in order to be allowed to discharge the beasts on Park property - a wonderful class to take (if they even still hold it). I have a lot of respect for black powder.

An older friend of mine, since deceased, was serving on a 12-pound Napolean gun at an early Civil War re-ennactment in the late 60's at Sharpsburg, MD, right down the road from where I grew up. He rammed a charge home without swabbing because his loader offered the charge at the muzzle out of sync with the drill, plus they were "in the heat of battle". He knew better than to ram a charge into a bore that hadn't been swabbed, but did it anyway and lost most of his right hand.

The worst mishap I personally witnessed as a re-ennactor was a blind (!!!) yo-yo who left his rammer down the bore of his Springfield and sent it twanging over the heads of a line of Confederate infantry. All the guy wanted to do was take part in one re-ennactment and his life would be complete, so we dressed him, put him in between two guys whose sole job was to lead him around and watch that he didn't do anything stupid. They weren't paying attention.... (It was an incident that lead directly to the Park Service banning ramrods on the "fields of battle". Thereafter all we could do was dump the contents of the blank cartridge down the musket barrel without ramming the paper/wadding on top of it, which made for a wimpy report - so we started using double charges in order to get a loud bang.)

Then there was the time our drummer boy fearfully pointed out the two neat round .58 caliber holes, in and out, in his drum after we were all done for the day. We never figured that one out, and of course every Confederate opposing us that day swore and declared he didn't screw up and load a live round instead of a blank....

Fun times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.