Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Incredible window into the mind of one of many horse lovers who would sacrifice the desert and responsible development for the sake of non-native, invasive horses.

https://www.rgj.com/story/opinion/v...up-colt-video-and-new-chance/9911818002/

Pancake wild horse roundup: the colt, the video and a new chance

Struggling to get out there, watching through a camera lens and trying to hold it together while half the time the government is trying to block me is a window into what it is like to be an observer. I shot the video of the young colt being chased by a low-flying helicopter, causing its leg to snap at the infamous Pancake Complex wild horse roundup in Nevada, which has been viewed by millions through multiple news stories.

One person can feel helpless. But don’t give up. Change throughout history has come from creating a ripple, and you never know how far it will travel. Out of this has come legislation and litigation.

Congresswoman Dina Titus saw the incident, took it to heart and gave homage to the colt in the introduced HR 6635, the Wild Horse and Burro Protection Act of 2022. It calls for the outrageous and large helicopter roundups across the West to stop and for the Government Accountability Office to look into alternatives and create a report.

A good alternative and place to start would be for the government to start doing its job. It is grossly failing to follow the requirement mandated in the Code of Federal Regulations: Herd management area plans “shall” be prepared for all areas where wild horses are allowed to live. In Nevada, for example, of the 83 areas, 82 do not have a herd management area plan.

These mandated management plans would be a lifeline for wild horses. Plans would have directives to start protecting the range they depend on to survive, start protecting their critical habitat so they stop losing it to industry, and start protecting their genetics. The effect of not having these plans is these outrageous and large helicopter roundups. The byproduct of not preparing these plans means the public is not being given a chance to comment on how these animals are being treated and managed, which violates the National Environmental Policy Act.

Events I shot that day are now part of a lawsuit pending in Reno Federal District Court alleging violations by the Bureau of Land Management of the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act. Defendants failed to prepare a herd management area plan as required for Pancake. “Round up and remove” is not a herd management area plan.

Imagine the sight of wild horses so strong and stunningly beautiful with unique characteristics from a genetic pool created over generations. My thoughts were how tragic that my fellow Americans will never see these wild horses. More than 2,000 were rounded up and removed from the Pancake Complex. Most were sent to facilities off-limits to the public, never to be seen again, their fate unknown. These beauties were sterilized, their genetics lost forever.

The colt was chased by a helicopter so it fell back from its family, slipped and snapped its leg, and in obvious distress and all alone was roped, loaded onto a trailer, and while struggling to stand, traveled over a bumpy road for a half hour to a temporary holding corral and was killed.

I am one human being who volunteered for those who fought for our First Amendment right for the access to view roundups and fought against abuse. Being there on the ground, watching and documenting, has given us a new chance, momentum, and a window of opportunity.

It is in the best interests of the public and wild horses to have herd management area plans to start protecting areas of our public lands from industry encroachment — livestock, oil, gas and mining. Once our land is gone, it’s gone.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wouldn't it be easier to just shoot them and turn them into food?

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarbe

.....and a great wailing and gnashing of teeth was heard across the Western lands from your post!! laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep make some canned bully beef ! get rid of the wild horses unless someone wants them on their land fenced and they capture and haul them.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Yep and horse meat is tasty. When our supply chain bites the dust MANY horses will be chile meat. And in my opinion about 60% of horses are good for nothing else.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can we all agree that they are feral, not wild?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Cuteness trumps environmentalism.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Can we all agree that they are feral, not wild?

Who you calling "we"? wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Filly mignon and porterhorse steak.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always remind these idiots;

INVASIVE SPECIES!

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a female friend---staunch Trump supporter and rock-solid conservative. But when it comes to wild horses, her brain goes out the window and she is completely driven by emotion. Heaven forbid anyone shoot one of these critters or drive to remove them from the range!

Tarquin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be OK with the horses if we could get them to reintroduce some Giant Sloths and Giant Camels to keep them company.

You know, like they had for company before they went extinct in these parts.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I have a female friend---staunch Trump supporter and rock-solid conservative. But when it comes to wild horses, her brain goes out the window and she is completely driven by emotion. Heaven forbid anyone shoot one of these critters or drive to remove them from the range!

How many of those horses has she adopted- - - - -or is she a hypocrite, too?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by rickt300

Yep and horse meat is tasty. When our supply chain bites the dust MANY horses will be chile meat. And in my opinion about 60% of horses are good for nothing else.

Yes sir. You can't swing a dead cat and not hit a horse around here. I've yet to see on rode or pulling a plow.

Last edited by JakeDog; 05/25/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't it be easier to just shoot them and turn them into food GLUE?

edit

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Feral covers horses and some maladjusted bipeds as well. The only way to fix stupid is to educate stupid out at the start. Didn't happen this time. Sigh.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I'd be OK with the horses if we could get them to reintroduce some Giant Sloths and Giant Camels to keep them company.

You know, like they had for company before they went extinct in these parts.
I'd be okay with that, as long as the horses here now where like those then... wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Congresswoman" says it all. Estrogen derived policies.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"... estrogen derived policies! ..." (snicker, snort, chortle!)

A few feral horses become useful....nowhere near all of them.

There is a program where applicants are chosen to adopt a horse, then break, train and show the horse. Some of those folks do some amazing work with those horses.

Federal law enforcement agencies that require mounts are supplied with feral horses.

I'm a real horse person.
I won't allow a horse under my care to be sold to a meat packer.
I won't allow a horse under my care to be left out for the buzzards. They WILL be buried.
....but the wild horses out west? It would grate on my nerves, but yeah, they need to go!
Sometimes you just gotta look "beyond the estrogen"! LOL!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
"... estrogen derived policies! ..." (snicker, snort, chortle!)

A few feral horses become useful....nowhere near all of them.

There is a program where applicants are chosen to adopt a horse, then break, train and show the horse. Some of those folks do some amazing work with those horses.

Federal law enforcement agencies that require mounts are supplied with feral horses.

I'm a real horse person.
I won't allow a horse under my care to be sold to a meat packer.
I won't allow a horse under my care to be left out for the buzzards. They WILL be buried.
....but the wild horses out west? It would grate on my nerves, but yeah, they need to go!
Sometimes you just gotta look "beyond the estrogen"! LOL!

Not the way my Nevada brother did it. Slap a packsaddle on that sucker and run her in a string of already "trained" horses on an elk-hunting trip to Idaho. No one died, but some of the rodeos were fun! The horses actually learned quickly what was allowed and not. OJT.

The first horse I picked to ride from his BLM string of 8 , he disallowed. "You dona't know enough. She falls asleep while walking. She will step off a cliff and kill you". She did too - she would walk slower and slower, her head nodding, until the horse behind her bit her on the ass - good to go for another mile or two.

The one I rode was a gentle plug - fitted for someone last on a horse 19 years before, with no horse skills to speak of. Coming out, at dusk, she started shying at shaded spots and rock outcroppings - a throwback to her range days, I think. Pretty sure she forgot I was up there until I nudged her with my heel, at which she lashed out with hind feet. "What the hell was that?" the guy behind me asked.

"Ghosts!" smile

Last edited by las; 05/26/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 39 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,698
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.