-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So they're renaming Fort Hood ... Fort Cavasos.

https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/fort-hood-gets-new-name/

They're also renaming Bragg and A.P. Hill ....

So lemme share with you what I know about General Cavasos.

He cost us 7 dead and 156 critically injured ... in peacetime.

Operation Gallant Eagle 1982 we jumped into the Mojave Desert on a training mission while preparing to invade Iran. Cavasos was the DZ SO for what was, at the time, the largest peacetime Airborne maneuver since WWII when they were preparing for the D-Day Invasion.

Long story short, we fly AGL all the way from Bragg to California and as we cross into California airspace we get word there were bad winds, known as Chinook winds, coming out of the mountains onto the desert there near Crystal Lake (dry salt lake) in the Mohave not far outside of March Airfield and Edwards Airbase ...

... so these winds kick up, deadly to paratroopers once we are under silk, but Cavasos was the DZSO and he gives the order to pop smoke on the DZ and put us out of the planes because, amd I quote what he told his party, "that's why they (we paratroopers) get hazardous duty pay" (an extra $55.00 a month).

40-60 knot winds ... damn near hurricane type gusts. Imagine jumping out of the bed of a pickup truck, going over an overpass at 45-70 mph, and landing on the pabed road underneath ... thr Mohave desert is like a parking lot, a paved parking lot. I saw PRC 77s smoke in that day that barely dented the desert floor.

7 dead, 156 critically injured. Those are not counting your normal broken bones and those type of injuries ...nthat's 156 crirically injured.

One of my dearest friends was among the dead, my former XO and our battalion S3 Air, Robert Breitmeyer .... great guy. His wife was pregnant with his son at the time, he was going to seenher in Washington state after the exercise was over ... I'm friends with Bob Jr to this day. Bob was still alive when he slammed into an overturned tank ... it was the drag that killed him. The wind drug him halfway across the desert before helicopters found him tangled in brush near Crystal Lake.

Cavasos is responsible for all the deaths ... and the injuries were horrific. Imagine 156 bad car wreck type injuries. Broken necks, shattered faces, faces dragged off (imagine being dragged behind a car across pavement at 40-60 knots for a couple of miles), exploded femurs, blown up ankles, arms ripped from their sockets .... crushed orbital sockets .... fractured skulls .... we saw it all that day. A guy that roomed across the hall from me, his femur was shattered, driven through his thigh muscle and into his stomach and it fishhook barbed where we couldn't pull it out there on the DZ. He lost five inches of bone ... he still walks around with a platform shoe on one foot to this day in his 60s.

Silk was pancaking in the sky ... paratroops slamming into tanks and jeeps that had been lapsed-in prior to our jump, many of them flipped over by the winds because their chutes were still attached when the winds whipped through. We jumpmasters and rhe reat of us who exited at the ends of our sticks ... we could already hear people screaming in agony on the ground and yelling for medics ... while we were still under silk.

Cavasos was never repentant about what he did ... and the brass protected him from repercussions. He cpuld have given a [bleep] about us.

That's the guy they just renamed Hood after because .... he was eventually the first Latino 4 star. Wonder if they asked him about his hand in Gallant Eagle 82 during the changeover ceremony?

[bleep] him.

I was a jumpmaster on that jump. We were warned when we were still under red lights how bad those winds were ... Loadmasters were getting word from pilots and praying for us shaking their heads not believing they were going to put us out of those planes .... but Cavasos ordered it done from his perch on the ground.

Fort Cavasos ... what a POS he was/is.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Of course, the left loves murdering good patriotic Americans.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rickt300
Of course, the left loves murdering good patriotic Americans.

He was one of the first outwardly aggressive liberal progressive generals. I think he had maybe just got his 4th star around that time ... he was, if I am not mistaken, commander of NorthComm at the time maybe. I'd have to do some research, it's been awhile.

He was a five jump commando having gone to jump school but never served in an elite unit ... he was not a paratrooper and shouldn't have been making the call that day.

He won a DSC in Korea which, front all accounts, he deserved. He added an Oak Leaf Cluster in Vietnam which, from all accounts, he didn't deserve. He also had some silver and bronze stars.

Rumor always had it, and I have heard he claimed this on more than one occassion ... that he was the inspiration for the little latino boy portrayed in the movie Giant with Rock Hudson, James Dean and Elizabeth Taylor. Maybe Sal Mineo played his part as an adult if I remember correctly. Supposedly the King son didn't like riding but the latino boy Angel Obregon jumped on the horse and took off ... Supposedly that was Cavasos. I've meant to ask James if that's the family's story at the hunting lodge as well ... I keep forgetting to ask.

I think Cavasos was a good soldier who overcame the stigma of being latino in his day ... but he was no saint and he did not deserve to have a Fort in Texas named after him imho and the opinions of thousands of others.

He was also very agressive about taking away the black berets from our Ranger Regiments and giving black berets to all army soldiers. It didn't go over well at the time .... it was a very very liberal progressive move although he claimed he pushed it for pride's sake. It's worked out okay I guess ... other NATO countries allow their regular army soldiers black berets as well these days.

Bottom line was that he wanted to wear a beret which, at the time, was only for elite Army troops. But he was one of those "make everyone equal" political generals.

In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was on that jump. And it hurt. Lost a few friends on that one. Shows you what the bastards want now. F**k em..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Surprised they’r not renaming Ft Hood to Fort Saint George Floyd, since General John Bell Hood was a Confederate General in the Civil War. 😡

Gotta appease the Groids ya know.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hood will be next.

Billc ... yeah, that jump hurt. Which DZ did you jump ... do you remember? No problem if you do not. I may know if you'll share which regiment you were with.

So the Son of a very well respected CSM at the time was filmed for ABC news crying and stomping his beret after that jump .... during an interview with that little gal from ABC ... there were so many reporters on all of our planes ... anyways ... he was caught on camera crying and stomping his beret. And he was the son of an active duty battalion CSM in which he served under at the time .... the actual son-of ...

He took three ass beatings over the course of the two weeks before we even came out of those mountains and deployed back to Bragg. Then when he got back he had to go in front of his regiment and apologize for his bravo sierra.

What he did was a major no no and his Dad did not protect him.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1234, 219DW, 2500HD, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 52 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,795
Posts18,496,223
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.