Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I drew a Montana deer tag, Billings area, and hopefully an antelope tag for this fall.

Shots for both will potentially be long. I plan on taking two rifles.

The 96 Swede in stock configuration and CA Mesa Titanium in 6.5 PRC.

The first two days of the hunt I plan on packing the M-96 to see what I can do with it.

I have already killed everything 5 or 10 times over and am looking to test
my open sight skills, again. I like the challenge.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m loading up sone 160 gr Hornady RN bullets over IMR -4350 to try out tomorrow.

No idea if this is a good powder choice for a 160 gr bullet in the Swede, but it’s what I’ve got on hand and listed as a load by Hodgdon.

Last edited by Tannhauser; 05/27/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Good afternoon John, I hope the tail end of the week is behaving for you all.

Thanks for the additional info on the Swede loads. While I don't have any of the old X bullets left in .264", I do have some in .224" and at least one box of .308" if memory serves. I seem to recall them being a bit bad for fouling too now that you mention it.

You might or might not recall that when I was tossing around making my .270 into a Swede you commented to the effect that you'd done that and I should go try to run some Swede ammo through it to see if it'd feed nicely.

That's what I did and that's where I ended up - with no regrets might I add once more.

Thanks again and all the best to you both this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RE-17 45.2 gr., 143 ELDX, 6.5x55 Nosler brass 26" Bartlein 1/8 26". Pre 64 M70. 2840 fps. Excellent accuracy

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Heck, I have a "strong" modern 6.5x55 - a Ruger #1. I stick with the old load that worked beautifully in a dear departed M70 Featherweight and a string of M94, 96, 38 Swedish Mausers in the past, and a 41 Swede Sniper - 47 gr. IMR4831+129 Hornady Interlock, of which I'm sitting on maybe 1000 pieces. The same powder charge behind the 130 Berger VLD Hunting yields a skinch more accuracy, but not enough to justify the added hassle of finding those bullets, a moot point as I have a few hundred of them. 139 Scenars are superb too, and I use 46 gr. IMR4831 for them. Got a few hundred of them too. All three of those bullets allow the little Ruger to deliver well under MOA accuracy, boringly on demand...

You gotta figure that the old timey loads were figured out in the dim times of reloading and just plain work. laugh The 160 gr. Sierras used to work great for me. After they were discontinued, I switched to Prvis. Re 22 worked well with them and the 156 PPs. Before that, I used 4831, but it didn't group as well as Reloder.

I have exactly one full box of the Sierras left. I haven't tried the Norma bullets, but Prvis are inexpensive and it would be unusual to get a shot past 150 yards or so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...Also used Magnum rather than Hunter due to finding it more temperature-stable, especially when used in a somewhat compressed load, such as 50 grains with 140s in the 6.5x55.

The temp stability issue really dogs me.

The IMR powder has been a stellar performer in the .270 for decades, and Hodgdon gives it some very favorable numbers for the 6.5x55mm as well.

But, at the same time, given the popularity of the Extreme Powders, can't believe that 2.5 gr. more of H4831 in the .270 Win., and a coupla grains in the 6.5x55mm, couldn't be worked to produce at least a better than adequate precision and velocity load.

IMR 4831 - is listed as 1.10 fps/°F.
H4831SC - is listed as 0.08 fps/°F.

That's almost the Song of the Sirens.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Garandimal;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that this blustery Friday finds you well.

In answering your query about reloads for the Swede, I had to dig into my reloading notes which I thought would give me some more precise data.

It appears that I started loading for the 6.5 SE in early June '87, but since I had no chronograph back then can only say that in the 96 military rifle I'd modified for my father with a 20" barrel the first load was 41gr H380 and 140gr Partitions.

Back then I was going through a bit of a "need for speed" phase and we then tried 120gr Nolser Solid Base and 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullets on local bucks before settling back into 129gr Hornady Spires, though I see some loads for 140gr Hornady Spires too.

When Dad's health declined, he stopped hunting and the rifle was passed onto our eldest daughter. In 2007 when she started hunting with it I loaded 48gr H4831, 130gr TSX, CCI 200 for 2658fps and that's still what she hunts with today.

With that load she's taken about 8? local mulie and whitetail bucks. We don't have a range finder but some of the shots seemed like an awfully long walk to get to the downed buck. One particular mulie stands out in my mind as I asked her at least twice if she wanted to get closer, but she said her rest was solid and as it turned out is was, as the buck made two shaky steps and collapsed.

I'll note we've never "caught" a 130gr TSX yet from her Swede and usually we'll aim to break one or both scapula. That long shot across a wide draw broke a rib going in and then hit the knuckle connecting the scapula and ulna I believe it is before sailing out onto the BC mountainside behind it.

I was impressed...

Actually more than a little impressed as a year later I unscrewed the .270 barrel on my walking around rifle built on a 98 action and had a near new Swede military barrel installed. I'll note I was looking for the deep grooves and 1:7.8" twist they had, but it wasn't the cheap way to make a Swede on a 98 for sure.

With the 98 action rifle I've got a 21" barrel and have been able to hit 2750fps with the 127gr LRX, but with just okay accuracy.

For a couple years I inexplicably quit chronographing some load development and was shooting 120gr TTSX, 49gr IMR 4831, CCI200 and Lapua cases which shot well but ended up wrecking the cases so that load is too hot in my rifle.

Then life happened and IMR4831 became unobtainium up here as did most Barnes bullets, so my current load is 120gr GMX, 44gr VV-N550, CCI 200 and Lapua cases for 2950fps. I've only killed one local mulie with that load and was pleased that the bullet opened up despite being one of those freak instances where it entered and exited without touching ribs. This buck was just shifting gears from trotting to their mulie bounce when I connected. He was visibly rocked when it hit him, taking about 4-5 more steps forward, then backing down the mountain for about that many steps before collapsing.

As to how either of our Swedes would do for really long range hunting I'd be guessing, but as mentioned at least a couple which our daughter hit had to be pushing or exceeding 300yds and they worked well.

Hopefully that was useful for you despite it being a small sampling of rifles, loads and field results.

All the best with your Swede whichever way you proceed.

Dwayne

Thank you for the well constructed and though out post.

Much appreciated.

Am rethinking both velocity and powders.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
... Before I invested a lot of time and money in monometels, for a 2700 - 2800 fps cartridge I’d try that SGK....

Find myself hunting the Western Soviet Provinces time to time... that fiat them.

As mentioned, have a nice pile of Speer 140 gr. Grand Slams already, that boast a G1 BC of 0.498... but don't believe it.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Gee, I've been shooting at least one 6.5x55 for 30 years. But also have used the 6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Remington, which do the same things. So far none of the animals have been impressed with the extra "class" of the Swede.

Might also mention that even though almost everybody in America calls it the 6.5x55 "the Swede," it was co-developed by the then Combined Kingdoms of Norway and Sweden, so both their armies could use the same round. This is why the round became known as the "Swedish Mauser" in the U.S.--far more Mausers showed up here than Norwegian Krags.

At least one(1.0) was apparently enough for SAAMI.

One would have thought they were sellin'em at the CMP.

Have heard that ~ 2700 fps is about all the 6.5CM likes to shoot in a 140 gr., which should put the spread closer to 100 fps.

And even that won't change the taste of the meat.

But it will help out a little bit on iffy range shots w/ an aperture sighted rifle.

... classy not w/standing.

GR

I've loaded and hunted with the 6.5X55 for awhile with 140 grain bullets. I run my swede around 2750 fps. My son in law runs his creedmoor at 2830 fps with 140s but has the advantage of small primer brass. He's out running my swede by 80 fps and his brass consistently lasts longer than my brass. We both use Lapua. I would give the 100 fps advantage to the creedmoor

Trystan

Interesting, thanks.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
I’m loading up sone 160 gr Hornady RN bullets over IMR -4350 to try out tomorrow.

No idea if this is a good powder choice for a 160 gr bullet in the Swede, but it’s what I’ve got on hand and listed as a load by Hodgdon.
..If you aren't happy with IMR-4350 & those 160 gr. Hornady RN's, ( although you may be), Try IMR-7828, either regular or SC with that bullet. I love that powder behind that bullet. At least in my my old Kimber sporterized Mod. 96. Not my go-to load in that gun but it's dead nuts accurate at 100 yds. My go-to is a half grain below Gnoaahhh's previously mentioned 47 grs. of IMR-4831 & that same Hornady 129 gr. Hornady Interlock ( #2620). IIRC it chrono's about 2620 fps and shoots flatter than the old 160 gr round nose.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
160 gr. Hornady RN

A trustworthy source has reported that's not a reliable bullet.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
On the other hand, the most erratic 6.5mm bullet I've used is the 160-grain Hornady roundnose. When started at 2150 fps or so in my Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine, it did everything from break both shoulders on deer and exit, to come apart before reaching the far side on behind-the-shoulder rib shots. Phil Shoemaker had the same basic experience with that bullet.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SU35
Curious, how is the Swede M-96/38 for heavier loads?
I have seen two of the swedes Kimber remanufactured with the action blow apart at the barrel tenon and both parties required left hand surgeries. Don't know if it was plug barrels, judious loading habits or simply luck. but it was enough for me to steer clear

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
...Also used Magnum rather than Hunter due to finding it more temperature-stable, especially when used in a somewhat compressed load, such as 50 grains with 140s in the 6.5x55.

The IMR powder has been a stellar performer in the .270 for decades, and Hodgdon gives it some very favorable numbers for the 6.5x55mm as well.

But, at the same time, given the popularity of the Extreme Powders, can't believe that 2.5 gr. more of H4831 in the .270 Win., and a coupla grains in the 6.5x55mm, couldn't be worked to produce at least a better than adequate precision and velocity load.

GR
H1000 works good with 140s. 2800 fps and not compressed or any pressure issues.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Way back in the Stone Age I religiously believed in the 160 Hornady RN when I got my first Swedish Mauser, a M94 all-original carbine. I for the life of me can't remember what powder I used in it but I do remember the brass: I made it out of .30-06 brass because 6.5x55 brass was pretty thin on the ground where I lived. What a revelation that first box of fresh Norma 6.5x55 brass was when I chanced upon some. No longer did I have that worrisome bulge above the case head from firing that undersize cobbled together brass in that Swedish chamber.

My then best friend moved out of state in the mid-80's and I gifted that little M94 Carbine to him as a parting present, as he had coveted it from the instant I showed it to him. He's since passed on and his middle-aged sons wrangled over who got The Swede.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/27/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gnoahhh;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the week treated you acceptably and you're well.

Thanks for your contributions to the thread and for sharing the photo of your No. 1. I've had a soft spot for them for years, likely due to the fact I used one as my horse hunting rifle for over a decade, but your 6.5x55 looks like a wonderful arm.

We truly do live in a different time regarding components these days or at least we did up until the beer flu mess set in.

When I built Dad's 96 I managed to get in 3 boxes of Imperial factory 6.5x55 before they closed their doors. Then one day down in a small gun shop in Oroville, WA I found a box of Privi Partisan. My daughter still uses that brass in the heirloom rifle she inherited.

[Linked Image]

It's running a 2-7 Compact now, but otherwise I think it's the same more or less.

The money pit 6.5x55 I built got a new paint job after last season - it's not pretty, but it's about the right weight for a guy who turns 60 this year to pack around in the mountains all day.

[Linked Image]

Again thanks to you and the rest for the input on an interesting thread.

All the best one and all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyoming260

GR
H1000 works good with 140s. 2800 fps and not compressed or any pressure issues.

Have read where that's a good, accurate powder for the heavier 6.5x55mm loads, especially for the longer Bbl's, and the temp stability looks good as well.

Was figurin' to use the same powder for my heavy .270 Win. loads, but that may be a hair slow, given that rifle's 22" Bbl.

Thanks.

GR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Been disassembling PPU ball ammo, to harvest the brass, ahead of a reloading project.

Rifle is a 6.5x55mm Ruger Hawkeye African 24"/1:8 Bbl., currently aperture sighted.

Tentative powder/primer selection is IMR 4831/CCI 200 respectively. (recommended, and is also used for the .270 Win/150 gr. load)

Bullets are .264/140 gr. Speer Grand Slam (current production), w/ an eye out for some of the new .264/130 gr. Barnes TSX-BT.

So, two basic loads.

Would like these loads to be at or near .30-06/M2 pressure - 50K CUP/60K PSI, a/o 2800 fps at the muzzle.

Hodgdon Reloading Data Center says 46.3 gr. of this powder will yield 2700 fps, remaining w/in the anemic SAAMI spec of 46K CUP/51K PSI for this cartridge.

Figure (extrapolate) ~ 48 gr. should yield ~ 2800 fps, and still be under the 50K CUP/60K PSI limit.

Would start the ladder at ~ 46 gr., chrono'ing above maybe 47.5 gr. and paying a little attn. to group size.

Figure the 130 gr. TSX would used the same final charge, albeit w/ a different velocity.

Questions/Comments/Concerns appreciated.

GR

Sounds interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see your progress. Sounds like fun. I'm also assuming you are scoping the rifle. Seems there is a lot of talk of 350+ yard shooting going on.. Sometimes I wish I could load my m96 hot, but its such a sweetheart with mild loads and it is pretty dang accurate, even with irons..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SU35
I drew a Montana deer tag, Billings area, and hopefully an antelope tag for this fall.

Shots for both will potentially be long. I plan on taking two rifles.

The 96 Swede in stock configuration and CA Mesa Titanium in 6.5 PRC.

The first two days of the hunt I plan on packing the M-96 to see what I can do with it.

I have already killed everything 5 or 10 times over and am looking to test
my open sight skills, again. I like the challenge.

That is a very cool concept! I really like the Carl Gustav M96, and I have shot various vintage military matches with several different configurations of original or CG/63 match rifles.... I've hunted with scoped sporters, but not original.... Realistically it's plenty accurate, so I definitely want to hear how this goes for you!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GR[/quote] H1000 works good with 140s. 2800 fps and not compressed or any pressure issues.[/quote]

Have read where that's a good, accurate powder for the heavier 6.5x55mm loads, especially for the longer Bbl's, and the temp stability looks good as well.

Was figurin' to use the same powder for my heavy .270 Win. loads, but that may be a hair slow, given that rifle's 22" Bbl.

Thanks. GR[/quote]

Why wouldn't Magnum work well in a 22" barrel?

Have found it to work well in many cartridges, some with even shorter barrels, such as the 21" 6.5x55 already mentioned. In fact, it works great in the .257 Roberts with 120-grain bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, anothergun, 375sunrise, 13 invisible), 834 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.