Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
From 5 yards . . . average for 15 runs was 3.93.

At 7 yards . . . average for 8 runs was 3.94.

That's good shooting! Couple questions:

- Did you even have any runs that were no-go's (missed shots or over time)?
- What is your typical/average draw time?

Thanks.

I had a no-go from the 7 at the end. After getting the 3.61 I wanted to see if I could down to 3.00 and it went off the rails with two misses.

The 4.28 was a 2.03 draw and 2.25 reload.
The 3.61 was a 1.61 draw and 2.00 reload.

I can’t safely draw and fire from concealment faster than 1.2ish. So 1.7ish for an actual hit from 7 isn’t too bad, IMO.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gee, thanks for calling me out Waders, ha! I'll try to get to the range, but it would have to be tonight or tomorrow if i can. We've got a good chance of storms this evening and tomorrow. Boy do we need the rain and the cooler weather we are supposed to get with it. We're headed out of town Friday for a wedding. If not, I'll get out there next week after we get back and post up. Got to get out there to mow anyway.

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been practicing under a timer from concealment in a while or near as often as I should (or would like to). Looking forward to this drill. Thanks for posting this and encouraging some good drills that we all need to practice.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Waders, thanks for this handy drill. I use the same holster (G-Code) on my Glocks but today I shot my new (two weeks or so) Sig P365XL out of an Urban Carry holster. I showed it to my Training LT and he liked it. Did two from three and two from five yards, average time was 5.48. Ammo used was Norma 115gr FMJ.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I did a couple of practice runs today on two 6" plates with my XD45.2 Subcompact using two flush fit 9 round mags (2 finger death grip) and 230 grain reloads. I normally carry it in an Azula high rise under a tail-out T shirt, so that's how I shot it.

I discovered the arthritis in an old left hand injury is worse than I thought, and so were my times. I arranged my spare mag in the same manner as Blue and frankly, I fumbled it a couple of times. When I didn't, I ran 4.70-4.89 with hits near the center of each plate. This was at seven yards.

The purpose of these drills is to learn things and my case, I'm going to have to adapt to compensate for some dexterity I've lost. I'll shoot this again later with a full-size mag for the reload.

Does anybody know of a better Android shot timer than Splits? I had to run an earplug loose to hear the damn thing and now have an ear ringing pretty good.

I use splits with my Moto G power and the volume is enough if nothing else is going on. You might try vibrate mode with the phone in your shirt pocket. I had to set the beep duration to 1/8 second, and the sound intensity wider to keep the beep from being recorded as a shot. I wouldn't mind trying a different app too if someone has a recommendation.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I tried the drill today at 7yds with an M&P40c out of a level 2 retention paddle holster at 4 o'clock. I put the extra magazine in my front left pocket (cause I forgot my mag pouch). I averaged 2 seconds to first shot drawing from under a buttoned, untucked shirt. My reload times required a sundial to measure. I never made par. All my shots were money.

I also timed drawing a PF9 holstered in my front right pocket - 3 seconds on average. I found I had to slow way down in order to make the shot as getting a solid grip was difficult.

I used the "Splits" shot timer app for Android. It is better than nothing, but I'm open to suggestions.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
While we are on the topic of timers, can someone recommend a shot timer that they like? Sorry, I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I never paid much attention.

I'll try to shoot this drill tomorrow.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cwh2
While we are on the topic of timers, can someone recommend a shot timer that they like? Sorry, I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I never paid much attention.

I really like Competition Electronics.

The Pocket Pro works just fine.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

$140 bucks??? Who has that kind of money??

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S

Winners.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve got the Pact Club timer but I really like the CED 7000 due to its small size.

IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Winners.
I see they used to sell one for $79.

This a case where something from "Bing Wong's House of Fine Electronics" would be adequate.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A bluetooth speaker or one that plugs into the phone would work from the tailgate of my little pickup - along with the Splits app.

Headphones over my earplugs, phone in my shirt pocket.

Or search Alibaba for the $10 solution.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I didn't used to own or use a shot timer. I just guessed at how fast/slow I was. Finally a friend convinced me to download a shot timer app for my phone.

From the first trip to the range, I was hooked. Shot timers cannot be lied to, bribed, or befriended--they just tell the truth regardless of what you want to hear. My iPhone app wasn't super consistent so I went timer shopping. Bluedreaux answered some questions for me; I bought one (Pocket Pro II); and I've never looked back.

My speeds are not flashy, but I have improved steadily since using a timer.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dla
Winners.
I see they used to sell one for $79.

This a case where something from "Bing Wong's House of Fine Electronics" would be adequate.

I have one with a cracked face and it’s at least 15 years old.

Still going strong.

I think that’s a worthwhile investment if you like to shoot.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Winners.

I want to be a winner…. Unfortunately my dump job, they withheld money from my check this week. Sounds like my rent went up on the land my trailer sits on..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Waders
FWIW, I didn't used to own or use a shot timer. I just guessed at how fast/slow I was. Finally a friend convinced me to download a shot timer app for my phone.

From the first trip to the range, I was hooked. Shot timers cannot be lied to, bribed, or befriended--they just tell the truth regardless of what you want to hear. My iPhone app wasn't super consistent so I went timer shopping. Bluedreaux answered some questions for me; I bought one (Pocket Pro II); and I've never looked back.

My speeds are not flashy, but I have improved steadily since using a timer.

Training without a timer is like running without a stopwatch.

“I ran three miles” doesn’t mean much unless you’re talking to somebody that hasn’t ran in 20 years.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Very humbled tonight, took the new Dagger out this evening, sighted in the HS507C and was keeping them in the A zone at 50 yards. Decent groups at 25 even with the stock trigger, which is not as nice as my Gen 5’s.

Feeling confident, I tried this drill and couldn’t get a good grip from the draw, had to hunt the dot, wasn’t used to the open space in the sides of the grip and kept trying to reinsert the mag, never got under 6 seconds.

Dot came off and will go on my 19 MOS when the FCD plate gets in and I’ll try again. Dagger will go on down the road most likely.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I printed targets off yesterday and hope to try the drill this afternoon after I get off.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I ran the drill 4 times, I passed twice and failed twice. You said it could be shot form 3,5 or 7 yards, so I went with 5 yards.
Shot it with my S&W M&P full size (4.25" barrel). I knew when you come out of the holster that you are screwed on the ones I failed on, my draw was jacked up big time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pullit,

That's fast! What style holster--OWB or IWB? If IWB, where was it positioned--appendix? 3 o'clock? What was your cover garment--T-shirt? Hoodie? Jacket?

Again, those are good runs!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (1lesfox, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 26 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,732
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.