Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I see they are still in business. Years ago, I used to buy a lot of damaged or incomplete rifles from them as fixer uppers. They had a lot of different Mausers for sale. At one point, I bought about 12 Mausers - 6.5x55s mostly - getting them for $40 each.

I fixed some, but most I sold years later for $75 to $100. I would clean them up and repair or replace the stocks or metal parts.

Did anyone buy from them?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I used to get their catalogues, I believe it was included in an Ontario outdoors magazine from time to time. Never ordered from them but looked their wares, too poor back then raising two kids, mortgage, car payments, groceries. Different times, different stages in life.

Thanks for the memory jog.

Nick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the last Friday in May has been a good one for you and you're all well out east.

For sure I remember their adds in the Gunrunner newspaper we used to get.

They were where I ordered the 96 Swede from which I modified into a hunting rifle for my father in '86 I believe it must have been. If memory serves I paid the $5 premium for "extra clean" and this one made in 1903 appeared unfired as there was no wear on the bolt fact at all.

[Linked Image]

This was passed back to me when he wasn't able to hunt anymore due to his health, with his hope that one of the grandkids might get it. As it turned out Steve our eldest spotted the odd looking full wood stock in the back of the safe when she started hunting and claimed it as her own. It's still her main hunting rifle today.

Thanks for the memories of days long passed Steve and all the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Nick1899
I used to get their catalogues, I believe it was included in an Ontario outdoors magazine from time to time. Never ordered from them but looked their wares, too poor back then raising two kids, mortgage, car payments, groceries. Different times, different stages in life.

Thanks for the memory jog.

Nick

You're welcome. That's why I used to buy their budget stuff. smile There are fewer bargains around these days. Military surplus rifles are a thing of the past, it seems.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Steve, showing your and my age - those days were 40-years ago. I think they were called then Century Arms International. I remember buying (6) Model 96's for $30 each delivered - I also remember paying an extra $10 each for hand-select and those three turned out to have never been issued, just stored - they had all the paperwork verifying that. Think what they would be worth now. I still have one of them still but fully sporterized-customized into a new stock and converted to cock-on-open but still shoots first two shots touching out of a cold barrel.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, time sure flies!

I think we both have fond memories of those days. Wouldn’t it be great to travel back and get some of the stuff that was available then at 1970s prices?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (007FJ, 44mc, 808outdoors, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,268 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.