Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Remsen,

I really hate to tell you what we call them cars down here. It’s just so stereotypical 🙁

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Remsen
...of really well preserved/restored late 60s/early 70s American cars, especially the big GM ones (I generally hate GMs, but they ruled in this era). I came across this beaut tonight...all 8.2 liters of American V8. I wouldn't want to own one, but I sure like these cars. I think this is a 1970 or so Eldorado. If it had been a 1971 Riviera, I'd have spent more time drooling.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's a mile of hood in front of that hood. Love it! I had a '70 something Chrysler New Yorker years ago. 440 CI, 4 barrel carb. That car moved fast quite comfortably.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Remsen,

I really hate to tell you what we call them cars down here. It’s just so stereotypical 🙁

Racist Mobile ??? 😁

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Big pimpin'!

Back when my brother and I were both in college we had a 1977 Olds Toronado. Local dealer got it in on trade, one owner, town doctor's car.

Big block cruiser.

Jesus we went through 9 lives in that thing!

That the big FWD model?

Think about how many of those 500CID Cadillacs and 460CID Lincoln’s never has the “go” pedal pushers deeper than 1/4 throttle ‘cause grandma Owned them……

My grandma had a ‘76 Lincoln w/460. I remember dad taking us for a ride and getting it over 100MPH. It was “floaty”. Best to not have to turn or stop in a hurry.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Big pimpin'!

Back when my brother and I were both in college we had a 1977 Olds Toronado. Local dealer got it in on trade, one owner, town doctor's car.

Big block cruiser.

Jesus we went through 9 lives in that thing!

That the big FWD model?

Think about how many of those 500CID Cadillacs and 460CID Lincoln’s never has the “go” pedal pushers deeper than 1/4 throttle ‘cause grandma Owned them……

My grandma had a ‘76 Lincoln w/460. I remember dad taking us for a ride and getting it over 100MPH. It was “floaty”. Best to not have to turn or stop in a hurry.

Floaty is the best word to describe them.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My second car was 74 ElDorado. 500 engine/front wheel drive. I-40 had 12-14" of powder snow on it, and I drove 3 of us back home, from college. I was the fastest car on the road, by far.....while kicking up a huge plume of snow, behind us. Rock solid.

Andy3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pop had a Blue '67 4 door 225 with the 455 engine. It would eat the road up and do it in style. It kind of floated.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My grandmother gave my daughter her '74 Montego, with the 400 ci engine, back ~ 2000.
Car had just under 36K miles on it. Had to have the heads worked on, so she could drive it back and forth to NMMI.
She never put a lot of mileage on it.
Daughter is keeping it to restore.
Needs a new vinyl top, upholstery redo, and mostly some small things.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I miss big cars in general. Like going down the highway on a couch.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by OGB
I miss big cars in general. Like going down the highway on a couch.

This+1

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
I still remember my dad's '67 Toronado.

My neighbor had one. I enjoyed watching that neat speedometer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
That’s a Nice Sled ..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I visited with my neighbor yesterday and he shows me a DeLorean DMC-12 project. Interesting, but not my cup of tea. I need to do some more stalking. Car show season is just kicking off here.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by mirage243
Remsen,

Racist Mobile ??? 😁

Nope,,,,

Jew canoe

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Remsen,

Racist Mobile ??? 😁

Nope,,,,

Jew canoe

Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remsen,

Racist Mobile ??? 😁

Nope,,,,

Jew canoe

That's goin back some. Dang I miss the racial jokes of the 70's.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy had an olds with a 455, he out ran the Cops, things were going good until he ran out of fuel.
Cop pulls up beside him LOL.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
A good friend of the family was a big car guy in the 70s. He was a professional truck driver, and got hit by a train at a street with faulty crossing bars. He spent the remainder of his life as a paraplegic.

So he needed large entry doors, and he liked big engines. A 66 Toronado. then a 71 El Dorado, and then another Toronado, this one a '73 with dual square head lights out front of that Olds 455. All of which were a sheer pleasure to ride in. I still love the lines of the 66 Toranado.

One of my Aunts drove a pilot car to accompany mobile home transporters across the country in the early 70s. Her pilot car? A 1971 Buick Skylark GS Stage 1 with the high output 450 HP Stage One Buick 455 and Ram Air.

That one ended up on blocks for about ten years needing the turbo 400 rebuilt. Finally it was sold. The buyer got T-boned towing it through the nearest intersection on the state hiway.

My kids knew that I always lusted for a 71 Riviera. When my son was a Senior in High School,(about 2000) he found an old baby blue junker 71 sitting on the back of a used car lot for $400. Between him, his little sister, and his Momma they scraped together the money and towed it home.

It needed the engine rebuilt, the tranny rebuilt, the vinyl top replaced, and the entire interior redone, as well as the trunk floor and rear fenders were rusted through.

I had it about ten years before the price of recycle metal got high enough to recover the kids $400 selling the old car by the ton.

One of my favorite cars was my Mom's 71 Impala Custom two door. I used to drive it to work in '77. It had the convex rear window and ventilated trunk lid a la Chevy Corvair. Just a 400 CID SBC with a Turbo 400 and new radials. But the old girl sure drove nicely.

Then the economics of transportation hit me in the face. I bought my first car, a 71 Toyota Celica, I have been driving 100 HP 4 cylinder cars ever since unless I needed to use my HD pickup.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Remsen
...of really well preserved/restored late 60s/early 70s American cars, especially the big GM ones (I generally hate GMs, but they ruled in this era). I came across this beaut tonight...all 8.2 liters of American V8. I wouldn't want to own one, but I sure like these cars. I think this is a 1970 or so Eldorado. If it had been a 1971 Riviera, I'd have spent more time drooling.

My wife and I saw one of those yesterday afternoon except it was painted bright, metallic purple with those huge wheels. Pimpmobile to the extreme. 😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Piss on the economics of transportation. One of the thrills in life is high horsepower cars or trucks. Gotta live a little before ya die. I’m gonna be 70 tears old this November. I bought a new 2018 Challenger Scatpak. 485 horse and I know for a fact it’s goes faster than 165. Miles per hr. Edk

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,064
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.