Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
I have been way happier since I quit buying a new turkey gun or 3 every year. Still like to look at and handle them, just not buy them. Somewhere along the line, playing with shells and chokes got expensive and time consuming.
I have (2) guns now and life is good.

Yep.

I haven't sold a turkey gun yet...........except for one early 835 that just, plain sucked and never even saw the woods. But, I've spent several decades narrowing it down to what my "perfect turkey gun" should be. Been using that one for about 5 years now with ZERO plans to change a thing. Have quite a few guns that just sit, now.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I sold all my 12 ga turkey guns several years ago and went to 20 ga. and pixie dust. My poor screwed up shoulder thanks me ever time I pull the trigger.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
I sold all my 12 ga turkey guns several years ago and went to 20 ga. and pixie dust. My poor screwed up shoulder thanks me ever time I pull the trigger.

With age comes wisdom..........usually.

I still have all the 10 and 12 gauge guns. But they've been feeling awfully neglected for a good many years, now.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by LFC
Everyone's entitled to a mistake, Luther. Even you.

You made a big mistake when you bragged about "being paid by the choke tube and turkey hunting industry for over a decade"....or was it over two decades ?

It was two, Luther. TWO.

Try to keep up, buddy.

Tell us the two companies names and what you were paid to do ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC
Everyone's entitled to a mistake, Luther. Even you.

You made a big mistake when you bragged about "being paid by the choke tube and turkey hunting industry for over a decade"....or was it over two decades ?

It was two, Luther. TWO.

Try to keep up, buddy.

Tell us the two companies names and what you were paid to do ?

Not two COMPANIES, Luther...................two DECADES. Try to keep up, buddy.

It was THREE companies. wink

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Fill us in yoderbOy.....

They pay you to hang out in their booth and act like you know something.

No.need to be ashamed of it

How much they pay you to be their bitch ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Fill us in yoderbOy.....

They pay you to hang out in their booth and act like you know something.

No.need to be ashamed of it

How much they pay you to be their bitch ?

Hey !!!!! Good morning, Luther !!!!

Good to see you back to your old self again. I knew that, with your last two posts that actually CONTRIBUTED to the cause, you'd reached your limit and would have to default back to dickhead mode.

Glad to see you're OK and back to normal !!! wink

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
All you got to do is come clean

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by humdinger
Now I have to resist the urge to look at more turkey guns.

Why ????? grin

For fear of disappointment.
I recenly tried a OU 20 gauge and the triggers were way too heavy...
I want to try a browning cynergy OU for the two choke concept, but my recent turkey came in at 15 yards and i just instinctively put the Franchi red dot on him and bang. Just pure execution.
(I've tried a turkey choke on my Browning 725 and its great... its just too pretty to take on a rainy day)

So I'm sitting with a franchi affinity in 12 and 20 gauge and both are set up with Burris FF3'& sumtoy mounts. Triggers are a touch creepy, but light. The only negative is the black barrels do rust easily and cerakote would be nice.
I should quick looking...

But I've thought a savage 220T bolt action would be nice...
Or a Browing Cynergy...
Or winchester SX4...

I need to break the cycle on love the one i'm with.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have finally arrived at the perfect turkey gun for me. And, ironically, it's about the plainest, simplest, least expensive gun I've ever used.

Over the years I've set up a bunch of different guns.

BPS
SX2
SX3
and some others.

Except for the 835 (which was just a cheap, lousy gun all around) each of them had it's strong points. All served the purpose very well or better. Then I set up a NEF single 20 for my older daughter. Then for my older son. Then for my younger daughter. The whole time I'm watching them slay birds, I'm lugging around something way heavier and longer than what I need to be. Took a while for my little lightbulb to come on and I set one up identically for myself. Short.......light........fantastic trigger........kills with much confidence and authority.

I enjoy bringing a new gun home as much as anyone. But, I think I'm done on the turkey gun front.

Last edited by Yoder409; 06/12/22.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'll think I'm all done and set.... and then I'll see something else! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

It can happen. LOL !!! But, I seriously believe I'm done.

As of the last while........most of my turkey-related purchases have been custom and collectible box calls. It's a rare evening I don't spend at least a little time in the garage playing calls.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Shiny objects catch your eye.. Or I meant camouflaged ones.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Lol! Shiney, camouflaged, matte... whichever. I don't discriminate, I like them all.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There's girls you date............... Then there's girls you marry. The marryin' ones are not always as flashy.........but they're dependable and solid for the long run.

I'm married to this 20 gauge single.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

There's girls you date............... Then there's girls you marry. The marryin' ones are not always as flashy.........but they're dependable and solid for the long run.

Yeah... but is that taking a nice hot italian model like sophia loren or raquel welch or Gina Gerschon (I think they are all italian)

and settling for a homely amish woman???

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did someone say Gina Gershon?

We have one more week of squirrel season here but I'm going to sit it out. I went two days and the heat, humidity and especially the gnats and deer flies were unrelenting. They even bite thru Deep Woods Off. Got in the woods when the gnats had the morning shift and stayed until almost noon by which time the yellow deer fly shift had started, with an occassional bot fly and hornet making its presence known. And all the big trees with bark have big black ants on them so got those crawling on me, too. They don't bite but its no fun feeling them on the neck. Only got one tick. I did see one new fawn with spots, but never saw mama. Squirrel activity was overwith by noon and it was too hot to keep carrying around dead squirrels so I didn't stay past noon either day. Now my spring seasons are over.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone seeing poults?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't see poults but I did hear what sounded like 3 yelps early in the morning. No gobbles. The woods were scratched up, that was easy to notice.

Virginia's numbers are already out. Here's a summary of what happened during spring 2022.

The Department of Wildlife Resources (DWR) announced a harvest of 19,711 turkeys during the 2022 spring turkey season. This is the fourth highest spring turkey harvest on record, with the three highest harvests having occurred in 2015, 2021, and 2020. Ryan Brown, DWR Executive Director, stated “Virginia’s spring turkey season continues to provide exciting opportunities for individuals to connect with nature, family and friends while helping to conserve the state’s wildlife resources.”

The 2022 harvest was well within DWR staff expectations, and the slightly lower harvest this season appears to be driven by lower participation on opening weekend caused by poor weather. Much of the western portion of the state experienced cold and wind with several counties reporting snow on opening day. The opening weekend harvest was down approximately 28% from the 2021 spring turkey harvest. This difference was minimized through the remaining 5 weeks of the season as the harvest totals finished only 4% lower than last year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As in previous years, more birds were harvested East of the Blue Ridge (66%) than West of the Blue Ridge (34%). The eastern harvest was down approximately 7% from 2021, while the western harvest increased by approximately 3%. Adult gobblers (those with a beard at least 7” in length) made up 86% of the total harvest, while juvenile gobblers known as “jakes” (those with a beard less than 7” in length) accounted for 14% of the harvest. Turkey harvests occurred overwhelmingly in the morning (91%) versus the afternoon (8%).

The majority of the spring turkey harvest took place on private lands (94%). Public land hunters (both federal and state) accounted for 6% of the total spring harvest, which was nearly identical to 2021. A majority of the federal land harvest occurred on the George Washington-Jefferson National Forest where a total of 639 birds were taken, 13% lower than 2021 (737 birds).

Although some states within the region are reporting declining spring turkey harvests and populations, Virginia seems to be a bright spot regionally. Considering that three of the top 4 season harvests have occurred since 2020, there is considerable room for optimism within Virginia’s turkey woods. However, that optimism is somewhat tempered with the realization that there are several areas of the Commonwealth where DWR’s Wild Turkey Management Plan calls for increasing populations. DWR biologists are monitoring these areas for potential management solutions. More details of the turkey harvest can be found at: https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/turkey.

For harvest by county information please visit the DWR wild turkey webpage.

2022 Virginia spring turkey harvest by county:

https://dwr.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/media/2022-spring-gobbler-harvest.pdf

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah... but is that taking a nice hot italian model like sophia loren or raquel welch or Gina Gerschon (I think they are all italian)

and settling for a homely amish woman???

Gina whoever can be as hot as she wants........... If she's high maintenance and doesn't put out (like some Italian shotguns) I'll take the sturdy and ultra-dependable Amish woman EVERY TIME.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.