Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
500 yards an in? Do you want to dial for wind and elevation or hold off? I've been out shooting PD's 4 times and used 4 different scopes, so it's a limited sample based on my experience.

Let the bashing begin - I've settled on (and also the fav of someone who has been shooting longer than I) is the Leupold 4.5-14x40 with varmint hunter reticle. Good reference points, intuitive elevation and wind references, not cluttered, easy to make a slight adjustment based on impact. You can pretty much run it on 14x all the time unless mirage gets extreme. I prefer to sight in once and use hold-offs. I've pretty much decided to sell the newest scopes that I tried (PST 5-25's) after getting back yesterday from a trip and stay with the Leupold's.

Is it the best? You'll never get anyone to agree on that, but they work well.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by remaction
500 yards an in? Do you want to dial for wind and elevation or hold off? I've been out shooting PD's 4 times and used 4 different scopes, so it's a limited sample based on my experience.

Let the bashing begin - I've settled on (and also the fav of someone who has been shooting longer than I) is the Leupold 4.5-14x40 with varmint hunter reticle. Good reference points, intuitive elevation and wind references, not cluttered, easy to make a slight adjustment based on impact. You can pretty much run it on 14x all the time unless mirage gets extreme. I prefer to sight in once and use hold-offs. I've pretty much decided to sell the newest scopes that I tried (PST 5-25's) after getting back yesterday from a trip and stay with the Leupold's.

Is it the best? You'll never get anyone to agree on that, but they work well.

I agree with you for the most part on the Leupold 4.5-14x40, I have quite a few of them from different generations. They are not all the same........I have several of the older ones with the A/O and like them very much, I have several of the newer ones with the side focus and like them even more, however I have 2 model 170691 VX3i with the vh reticle that have neither an A/O or a side focus and they flat out SUCK !!!!! there is always parallax above 10x. A scope Leupold should have never made, and I wish I had never bought.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I have the side parallax models, I guess I should have stated the model but they are out in the shop...VX-III long range I believe.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by remaction
I have the side parallax models, I guess I should have stated the model but they are out in the shop...VX-III long range I believe.

Yes those are awesome !!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Reupold 4.5-14x's are Steaming Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit,in ALL versions and sadly I've all the T-shirts and BT/DT. Hint.

They are good for ONE thing however. Hint.

Just saying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Hah! LOL. I was waiting for you saying that Big Stick!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts are tough on Snowflakes. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For the PD shooting I've done, I'd have been well served with a SWFA 10X (first choice) or the 3-9 version (second choice).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To date,Reupold cain't begin to scratch the surface of same. 10yd parallax,42 Mil's on the erector,tracks,repeats,2+ Mil's of erector for every ounce of weight and holds zero like few others. Hint.

Hell...it ain't even fhuqking "FAIR". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The Reupold 4.5-14x's are Steaming Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit,in ALL versions and sadly I've all the T-shirts and BT/DT. Hint.

I have always had good luck with the 4.5-14X50mm but then I am not forced to suffer poor rifles.

Killed a lot of PDs on the far side of 500yds with them.

While over budget for the OPs needs the 3-18X50mm Leupold is about as good as it gets for PDs but the world is awash in decent optics.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
To date,Reupold cain't begin to scratch the surface of same. 10yd parallax,42 Mil's on the erector,tracks,repeats,2+ Mil's of erector for every ounce of weight and holds zero like few others. Hint.

Hell...it ain't even fhuqking "FAIR". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

On my dedicated PD guns, I've never had the need for 10 yd parallax, nor 42 mils of elevation. I do have a couple SWFA's, and agree with your assessment of them, but I use them for different purposes where tracking and dialing is commonplace. Not needed on my PD guns and you won't be able to prove to me the VH reticle is not great for PD's.
grin
Cheers!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
rimaction,

Facts ain't "subjective". Your disabilities and lack of experience ain't mine. Hint.

There's NO fhuqking way to talk a SFP Reupold VH Archaeic Goat Fhuqk Reticle "pretty". The sanctity of an etched lineal scale windshield,that actually fhuqking means sumptin' and conjoins erector travel,is a touch more than obvious,for them who actually fhuqking shoot. Though perhaps you and Joan Squirms ringing endorsement of same,is gonna take Reupold to new heights?!? Give or fhuqking take. HINT.

Tracking,repeats and zero retention simply matter too. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a couple.of 10x on varmint rigs, for chucks and yotes.

A benched rig for PD?

Would think at least 12x. Wouldnt mind a little more on my rigs for the bigger critters LOL

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Bushnell 4.5-16x LRHS2 is a definite winner for P-dogs.

Hell, anything with a yardstick for a reticle is better than the old duplex we all grew up on.

Makes too much sense not to.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you saying varmintgay, and his duplexes, is a senseless twit?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Naw, I was just pointing out that a great reticle is awesome.

Does Leupold even offer anything worth while these days?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No. You just have to'hold into the wind'......sheesh

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
LOL

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Bullies…

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I find no matter the scope I end up at 12 power most of the time
Any higher the mirage is too bad
I don’t like a busy redical one of my favorites is a simple target dot

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.