Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
As title states,

I will be purchasing one of these two scopes for my classic select 280AI. Reticle 4a.

After opinions or first hand experience regarding which is a better fit for the action length and balance of the rifle overall. Pictures appreciated if available.

Thanks.

You only live once.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Either would work if you use a Picatinny base but IMO the 3-10x42 is a better fit for a long action Kimber.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Both scopes are pieces of fhuqking schit,no matter the receiver or it's chambering. Hint.

Reticle sucks ass too. Hint.

Impressive! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Z3 rides 5 weeks of the season in a saddle scabbard. It's the 3x10. Takes a lick or 2. No complaints from me.

Hang on tight !
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Either would work if you use a Picatinny base but IMO the 3-10x42 is a better fit for a long action Kimber.

^^^^

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ghostman
this.
I have several 3-10x42 Z3's and am a big fan. I also put a 3-9x36 on a Kimber of Oregon 84 223 Rem and it fits perfect. I don't think it would work as well on a long action.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 05/28/22.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a Hoot,by simply doing your best. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had both and I prefer the 3-10x42 for your application.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bum,

That is VERY "compelling. Hint.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stick who makes that rimfire pistol. Looks pretty sweet. How do you like it ?

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Both good scopes, good glass, plex reticle is about ideal in thickness. Just depends whether you are shooting longer distances (3.3-10) or up to perhaps 300 yards (3-9). The 36mm objective of the 3-9 sticks out less, but the 42mm of the 3.3-10 is slightly better in low light. 12.2 v 12.7 oz.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Forgot to mention, don't want to run a pic rail/pic mounts. Wanting to keep Leupold DD or talley split rings.

Stick, I don't want a big scope with exposed turrets. Nor do I plan on dialling. Least of all I don't plan on using my rifle as a measuring stick for trout or anything else. I think your durability requirements are different to mine.

You only live once.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'kat,

Ruger 22/45 LITE and they are tough to whoop. Especially when wearing 507C and CT grips. Hint................

RiffleKchunt,

You REALLY should be taking notes and it is HILARIOUS,that you ain't even bright enough to do that "much" on your own. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

subpar,

DD's are soothing,as I've yet to fail a set and they weathered the storm of my shooting my 378Wby to literal destruction,less an "issue". Hint.

The MOST important part(s) of a scope,are those you can NOT see. Guts matter more than all else combined. Swaro don't and can't. They are tender pieces of Fluffy fhuqking schit,with focus on everything that don't matter. Hint.

It is seldom that a Rifle ain't in my mitts,or at least on a shoulder and I've likely dabbled a "few",including mounting systems and scopes proper. Beings a guy has gotta look through a fhuqking scope,to make a shot,one may as well incorporate some mechanics which greatly bolster the connect percentages of same. ALL scopes have turrets,but they vary in their styles and impetus. Assuming like mechanics,do a capped turret piss me off? Nope. How about a locking turret? Nope. Do I have a qualm physically removing turret heads in some applications and simply gunning a WELL thunked etched reticle alone and in all of it's splendor? Nope. Hint.

Have I ever had a scope that kept zero too well? Nope. Have I ever had one track too well? Nope. Have I ever had one repeat too well? Nope...yet I'm patiently awaiting same. Hint.(grin)

Is a Skookum etched reticle,an unerring Ruler? Yep. Is a lineal graduated scale,THE Holy Grail? Yep. Do it matter that the etched windshield and internals speak that same language? Yep. Why? Scopes are for steering bullets and it never don't not crack me the fhuqk up,how others are in such an amazing hurry,to put the cart and all of it's contents wayyyyyyyyy in front of the fhuqking horse. Hint.

If your intent is to "do" so fhuqking little,as to not tax compromised goods,that's on you. That "approach" is the antithesis of mine,mainly because I actually fhuqking shoot. I realize that concept is novel to many and rest ASSURED that nobody enjoys that Hilarity,more than I. Hint.

Soooooooooo in a nutshell,I'm quick to weigh Mechanics and am all too happy to let others play in The Fluff. I get it that nobody listens and that is my FAVORITE fhuqking part,but in DD's upon said platform,I'd roll a 1-6x HD FFP LitBitch and never look back. You'd fhuqk up and learn something about Mechanics,groove on the Illumination and could rock THE fhuqk outta capped turrets and drive the rather exceptional reticle alone. I see one on the SampleList now. Hint.

I hear good thangs. Hint.

Even poked one on BabyMan's Vudoo and have quite a fhuqking few in general. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just saying.

Hint.....................

My bad,because I forgot to touch on how turrets are allllll fhuqking TENDER and schit. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Fair call,

I understand mechanics are important and have other rifles with optics suited to longer distance work - Schmidt Bender and Zeiss, neither of which have ever failed me mechanically. I have had numerous LRHS 3-12s also, and am a big fan of them too. Make of that what you will.

Im lucky to shoot 1500 rounds a year out of a hunting rifle which I know is less than most people - mainly due to time, and having to stay proficient with a pistol which obviously requires trigger time also (LE). But I have spent enough time to know that mechanics are important.

This rifle will without doubt have an easier life than most of my others and as such I'm a little less concerned about tracking ETC - it ill be set and forget. The other scope in contention was a S&B summit 2.5-10x40 which I only decided against due to weight even though I'm sure it would win the reliability contest 100%.

All of that said though if I see enough bad feedback re Swarovski reliability (z3) it may very well be the SB.

You only live once.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Both good scopes, good glass, plex reticle is about ideal in thickness. Just depends whether you are shooting longer distances (3.3-10) or up to perhaps 300 yards (3-9). The 36mm objective of the 3-9 sticks out less, but the 42mm of the 3.3-10 is slightly better in low light. 12.2 v 12.7 oz.

thanks mate - I think the 3.3-10 will be the ticket. Hoping ill be able to see both side by side to compare FOV before making the purchase

You only live once.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
subpar,

I'm not really a LRHS or LRHSi Fan(in any magnification),mainly due the G2 reticles. The LRTSi and especially in 3-12x,are simply fhuqking sensational. Though I shoot DMR2's and assorted variants,yada,yada,yada. Hint.

Zeiss has yet to make a scope worth a fhuqk and Schit & Blender is a crap shoot,due reticles,travel and parallax. Pass the LRTSi 3-12x G3. Hint.

If schit don't track or repeat,it CAN'T hold fhuqking zero either. HINT.

Just sayin'...................

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by barm
I have had both and I prefer the 3-10x42 for your application.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Gawd, that's hilarious. Well played.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh it's funnier than that and rent free. Hint.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own or have owned the z3 3-9x36 4a, 3-10x42 brh, SB summit and many others not discussed. The fact is some like an elegant looking rifle and they rarely shoot past 200. For those ranges any will likely do and the VX3 is/was about the classiest looking scope for such a purpose and most are excellent set and forget scopes. That said I have a full custom high grade based on a M70 with the 3-10x42. It has been perfect. I have the 3-9 on a nice Kimber. Again perfect for that purpose.

The only scopes I have ever sent in for service are Zeiss victory and SB summit. Both for debris on the lens. My dialing scopes are all SB pmii-s and they have served that purpose very well. That is to say they have been flawless. I have also had super chickens that lost POI with a focal adjustment. Another was perfect.

My 280 wears a Nightforce Nxs compact. It tracks perfectly and is ugly as [bleep].

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,020
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.