J
Fugg em in the neck!

No more!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Tredeu knows if the truckers aren’t armed, they are much easier to control.

What would they do after the government freezes their money, not much because they have no money or reason to e feared.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Post up the regs in place for handguns in canadia and show me the effective difference.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BillyGoatGruff;
Good evening sir, I hope you had a better day than we did up here and that all who matter to you are healthy.

I've owned what's called a "restricted" class firearm up here since I was 18 and for a few years was an instructor/examiner of the federal firearms license course, so while not an expert can speak from a reasonably informed background on the subject.

Today's announcements were coupled with the national police force - the RCMP - suspending all transfers of restricted class firearms. I'd note that today was not the enacting of it as law, just the first reading of the proposed bill which if passed will become law.

Yet it is being enforced as law today... cool, no?

We in the organized opposition to such madness will raise more money and launch additional legal challenges against the government, but as always it's nettlesome to be raising extra money to fight your own tax dollars in court. Cool again though, no?

The Coles notes on major changes today are no more transfers of handguns period.

Up until now while they were heavily monitored, registered and by definition restricted, they could still be bought, sold and in most cases inherited from an estate. No more as of today it seems.

There's other gems in there too, like a 5 round capacity max on all long guns - including all the tube magazine lever guns and all the .22 repeaters out there.

We're still sorting through the quagmire of virtue signaling verbiage to see what it really means, but on first blush it's not good.

For some of us who've spent our adult lives working to educate folks on firearms issues it's a bloody dark day for sure.

What does it all mean? We'll see.

All the best and God bless.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Never go full retard.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good evening Dwayne,

I feel bad for you and your liberty loving countrymen. I’ll be honest and admit Canadian politics confuses me, as far as the rules and processes. But without a doubt I think you’re going to get bent over. In all the conversations I’ve had in person with my northern neighbors, not many were frothing at the mouth over the restrictions. Some of course, but many were content to have a long arm legally available at hand at the homestead. The confiscations during the Peace River flooding and a couple other incidents that I’m too far into my cups to accurately remember notwithstanding

A sample small enough to be irrelevant probably, just my $.03

Hell the Mounties weren’t allowed to carry off duty!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BillyGoatGruff;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

I believe you meant the flooding in High Level and indeed it gave the RCMP brass a black eye, especially in Alberta.

Nonetheless when they had opportunity to send the RCMP a message and not renew the contract for provincial policing, Alberta did not do that. It's too bad that Surrey, BC is showing them how to get that done.

Please note I am in no way anti RCMP Constable in any way. There are in my view, actions taken by the upper management such as today when they're choosing to enforce the will of the government which is emphatically not law yet and may never be that I find particularly galling. That and aiding in the seizure of Canadians bank accounts during the Convoy indicates to me they need to be reined in considerably.

Most or better said too many of my fellow Canadians do not see that the firearm seizures are the tip of the wedge as far as losing our ability to have/maintain private property. Firearms are a convenient test run as was bank account seizures during a "terrorist event".

It does not, in my view, take much imagination to conjure up situations where it would be for the greater good of all Canadians to have the government take over all manner of assets in order to redistribute them in a more fair and most certainly environmentally equitable manner, no?

Too many of us were busy trying to pay our debts, put our kids through school and maybe set aside something to retire on because God knew the government was pissing our Canada Pension funds into the wind with foreign aid and virtue signaling de jour....

A little extra tax here and an infringement on freedom there was something we worked around and honestly we kept going because what choice was there? Nobody else was coming to help so we did it ourselves....

The problem was that this disconnect, especially out west I feel. has led in part or whole to our lives being run by a group of self described "elites" who believe they know what's best for us all.

Some of us are waking up, albeit slowly, but some are waking up.

I hope it's not too late, but as always sir, we'll see.

All the best.

Dwayne

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dwayne- over the years, I've talked to several seemingly right leaning hunters/outdoorsman Canadians who said it was such a PITA to get permitting for handguns, they didn't want to deal with it.

Can you elaborate?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TimberRunner;
Good evening sir, I'll try to do so and be brief.

Up until today of course when this changed.

We'd take a Restricted Possession Acquisition Course - usually $150 - $200 pass it, then submit the paperwork and a fee to the government in order to get a Restricted PAL - Possession Acquisition License. This took anywhere from 3 months to a year in some cases and meant that references including exes were interviewed. We also had a complete background check done.

All RPAL holders are subject to daily checks of our status as far as criminal activity - daily....

Then we find a restricted firearm for sale and after the price is agreed upon, we apply to have the registration transferred from them to us. This can take weeks or months, depending.

Once that's okayed, we apply for an authorization to transport it to our home.

We can only shoot them at approved ranges. They are transported to and from the range in a locked container with a separate lock on each firearm.

They typically cannot be used in wilderness areas without a special permit which is difficult to obtain and more difficult to keep once you have it. It includes annual qualification with the arm you're permit covers.

That's the high or better said low points of owning and shooting restricted firearms up here, so indeed I can see that many would consider it a pain.

As mentioned I've had one since I was of legal age to do so, because I felt and still feel that if more Canadians did that - had some skin in the game - we'd be in better shape than we appear to be today.

Hopefully that made sense and was useful.

I'll check in tomorrow morning if there's further questions or if I've made some errors.

All the best.

Dwayne

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It seems it will be more and more difficult to own legal handguns but there are no changes proposed for illegal ones. I think you have to prove gang affiliation to qualify for the special exemption.
Any new restrictions will not, of course, have any effect on so-called "gun violence" but that is not, nor has it ever been, important to the left. Their only concern is establishing and maintaining control.
The very fact that the government wants us disarmed is reason to be sure we are armed and well practiced. The recent incident in Uvalde underscores the fact that the police cannot or will not protect us and are not really on our side. I consider this to be profoundly sad, by the way.
I think it was in about 1973, during a town hall meeting, Len Marchand maintained that the handgun restrictions in Canada had shown themselves to be successful. When I told him, the only way they had bee successful was that they had been able to implement them. The restrictions had accomplished exactly nothing because the owners registered handguns were not people who shot each other. He said that was my opinion but he disagreed. Of course he did; he was a Liberal.
I was proven wrong in my statement, some years later, when a friend used his legally registered 45 Colt SAA to shoot and kill a man who was threatening his family.
The killing was, ultimately, found to be justified. GD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, and others on the Northern side of our "upstream" border,

So upsetting to hear this news. A law enforcement agency enforcing a law not yet enacted has got to be some sort of criminal act in and of itself. Of course, there's always that .gov immunity type coverage going on.

My one and only experience with your agencies regarding handguns was an attempt to return from Alaska to the Lower 48 by road as opposed to the ferry system which was most convenient for arriving in SE AK on time for my job. I had the luxury of not being renewed due to budgetary constraints (think 2008 economy) , and therefor had time to enjoy the trip home. Having never driven the AlCan Hwy, I thought that would be a great way to return to Cali. Ferry up to Haynes or Skagway, wherever that road connects, travel up to the highway, drive south and see the sights.

Upon investigation, I found in order to legally transport my small collection of handguns to where my wife was living at the time, I would have to receive permission from each Chief LEO of every Province I passed through. When I tried a couple of times to get in touch with the BC version (might have tried Yukon first?) , was put on hold and lost or was unable to get a return call after a couple of times, I decided to not even try the other Provinces. Came home on the ferry system again. Such a shame in my mind, as I was relishing the experience of seeing another part of the North American continent.

Good luck to you folks up there.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2013 flood in High River is where the RCMP broke into houses to “secure” firearms.

No discipline has resulted. Matter of fact, if IIRC, the lady in charge got promoted during the investigation.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can only offer my sincere support for all you good and law abiding Canadians as I think we’re going to have our hands full fighting the same fight down here. Good luck and God Bless.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But no worries if you are a native, they don't follow white man rules.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn you Canucks need a revolution or something up there. Pullin for youse guys.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
TimberRunner;
Good evening sir, I'll try to do so and be brief.

Up until today of course when this changed.

We'd take a Restricted Possession Acquisition Course - usually $150 - $200 pass it, then submit the paperwork and a fee to the government in order to get a Restricted PAL - Possession Acquisition License. This took anywhere from 3 months to a year in some cases and meant that references including exes were interviewed. We also had a complete background check done.

All RPAL holders are subject to daily checks of our status as far as criminal activity - daily....

Then we find a restricted firearm for sale and after the price is agreed upon, we apply to have the registration transferred from them to us. This can take weeks or months, depending.

Once that's okayed, we apply for an authorization to transport it to our home.

We can only shoot them at approved ranges. They are transported to and from the range in a locked container with a separate lock on each firearm.

They typically cannot be used in wilderness areas without a special permit which is difficult to obtain and more difficult to keep once you have it. It includes annual qualification with the arm you're permit covers.

That's the high or better said low points of owning and shooting restricted firearms up here, so indeed I can see that many would consider it a pain.

As mentioned I've had one since I was of legal age to do so, because I felt and still feel that if more Canadians did that - had some skin in the game - we'd be in better shape than we appear to be today.

Hopefully that made sense and was useful.

I'll check in tomorrow morning if there's further questions or if I've made some errors.

All the best.

Dwayne

Thanks for the clarification.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Partsman

Truth. When they talk about gun smuggling they conveniently forget to mention that the majority are brought across at native reserves which straddle the Canada/US border. And, of course, no enforcement.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Originally Posted by Partsman

Truth. When they talk about gun smuggling they conveniently forget to mention that the majority are brought across at native reserves which straddle the Canada/US border. And, of course, no enforcement.

Right hear on the Detroit and St. Clair River its only a couple hundred yards to the border.....on the St. Clair river is a very large Indian Reservation its thousands of acres of marsh....

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For a brief period, pre-Trudeau, the conveyance permits were easily obtained and covered wide geographic areas. I, for instance, was permitted to travel to any range in B.C., Alberta, or Yukon or to the international border. This meant I could go to Calgary, to an "F" class shoot, and take my pistol along to do some shooting after I was finished with the rifle. Trudeau, to make Canadians safer from gang violence, without inconveniencing the gang members, changed these requirements.
Like Dwayne, I have always had a handgun, just to have skin in the game. If I ever used a 22 pistol to shoot grouse, I will tell you now; that occurred in Idaho, where I was born and raised and would have been illegal here.
The thing to remember, always, is that the anti- gunners dislike us and want to control us. How we will respond to this remains to be seen. It is preferable that we vote them out repair the damage they have done but the actions of this government underscore the necessity for us to be armed, competent in the use of these arms, and vigilant.
We condone, facilitate, and in the entertainment media, glorify drug use. By doing so, our society supports the gangs which profit from the distribution of narcotics.
We observe known gang members and do nothing until they kill someone. Interestingly, gang members almost always walk on firearms charges when they are caught with an illegal gun. This much the same in the US where drug use is also permitted and glorified, gangs run rampant and skate on most charges. Drug dealers can even achieve hero status, post mortem. Look at George Floyd. GD

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,316
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.