Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
A friend needs to sell his M1A and wants me buy it.

I have shot this rifle a few times but only with the irons. He has a scope mount for it and I know he has used it that way quite a bit.

My question is how well does the mount return to zero if removed?

I could only remove the scope and leave the mount base on and be reasonably sure I could come close to a return to zero.

I know there will be times when I just want to run irons and am curious how this might work if anyone knows.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
might depend on the scope mount. Brand and type. I use an ARMS mount on my M1A, but don't think it's ever been off the rifle since I bought it.

Sam......

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It depends on the receiver, and the scope mount - some are better than others - Smith Enterprises, Sadlak, and Fulton are typically better than the stock Springfield IMHO - but YMMV.

What is the receiver make, and serial number age?

Springfield made a number of tweaks to the receiver over the years of production, and this affects the scope mount fit and security.

Most of the side bolt mounts are set high so that you can look under them, and still use the iron sights, but this also means adding a cheek riser on the stock for the scope.

Typically, on a post- "Golden age" Springfield receiver (Serial # 042201 to 063000) , I've had limited success with scope mounts - used the Springfield two screw mount with the 56mm when they first sold them, the mount was soft metal, some constant play, and a very high LOS for the scope. The mount seemed to shoot "loose" every 50 rounds or so, and there was quite a of marring between the receiver, and the mount track.

If I really want a scope on the M-1A, I prefer the two point hard mount, which replaces the rear sight, and would not be what you are looking for.

The Scout Scope Mount is an option that may work better for you, you'd get magnification when you wanted it, and could take the scope off when not needed.

The scout rail is going to be a better chance of RTZ than the bolt on side scope mount, IMLE.

Most of the side bolt mounts are set high so that you can look under them and use the iron sights, but this also means adding a cheek riser on the stock for the scope.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a 70’s vintage Springfield M1-A and used their brand of mount. Return to zero was always an exercise in futility.

After purchasing a GDI (Global Defense Initiatives), my problems went away.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Sadlak
Bassett
Arms18
Smith enterprise

They’re all excellent mounts.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 53 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,647
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.