Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some further perspective of the nation at that time and the reaction to LBH is the book "1876," written by Gore Vidal.

Old guy, old guns.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by elkcountry
I Love this thread! I’m obsessed with two battles in history, Gettysburg and Little Big Horn! I can’t read enough about both battles. I’ve been to Gettysburg and was in absolute awe and amazement. I will one day visit LBH and am sure I will have the same feelings!

Interesting you mention Gettysburg and another little known Custer engagement. Custer turned Jeb Stuart around, who was supposed to come in the backside and crush the Union between himself and Lee.

All you hear about is Pickett’s charge and Chamberlain at Little Roundtop, not realizing the action of Custer and his 600 Michigan Wolverines, chasing Stuart off and probably saving the day for the Union.

“The Custer Myth” by W A Graham, is one of the best books to find out more factual information than regurgitated stories told to people that get rewritten by different authors with no insight. Graham actually corresponded personally with Benteen and others that survived the battle. This book was written from Graham’s contacts and research in the early 20th century when much of the information wasn’t as polluted as it has become.

A most excellent book, great detail on the Stewart beat down (Stewart was over rated). That said and slightly off topic, but had Stewart gone through with his charge on the Union rear, he would have run into the massive reserves behind the Union lines and he probably would have been defeated. The loss at Gettysburg rests entirely on Lee's shoulders.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by elkcountry
I Love this thread! I’m obsessed with two battles in history, Gettysburg and Little Big Horn! I can’t read enough about both battles. I’ve been to Gettysburg and was in absolute awe and amazement. I will one day visit LBH and am sure I will have the same feelings!

Interesting you mention Gettysburg and another little known Custer engagement. Custer turned Jeb Stuart around, who was supposed to come in the backside and crush the Union between himself and Lee.

All you hear about is Pickett’s charge and Chamberlain at Little Roundtop, not realizing the action of Custer and his 600 Michigan Wolverines, chasing Stuart off and probably saving the day for the Union.

“The Custer Myth” by W A Graham, is one of the best books to find out more factual information than regurgitated stories told to people that get rewritten by different authors with no insight. Graham actually corresponded personally with Benteen and others that survived the battle. This book was written from Graham’s contacts and research in the early 20th century when much of the information wasn’t as polluted as it has become.

A most excellent book, great detail on the Stewart beat down (Stewart was over rated). That said and slightly off topic, but had Stewart gone through with his charge on the Union rear, he would have run into the massive reserves behind the Union lines and he probably would have been defeated. The loss at Gettysburg rests entirely on Lee's shoulders.
I assume you mean "Stuart"? As in James Ewell Brown Stuart?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
I assume you mean "Stuart"? As in James Ewell Brown Stuart?[/quote]

OF course, yeah like JEB!...over rated...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Old state Deaf, Dumb, and Blind asylum on south side of 19th st. (Now MLK blvd) between west frontage road of IH-35 and Red River st. in Austin. Custer’s occupation HQ while in the city. His troops bivvied down along the banks of Shoal Creek at west 15th st. in a park area. Now Pease park

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Building is still there on Univ. Of Texas property. Naturally the majority of folks around know nothing of this. As is true with most of the history around here.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/31/22.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You mean it didn't go like this?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

OF course, yeah like JEB!...over rated...[/quote]
We'll just have to disagree on that overrated part

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

We'll just have to disagree on that overrated part[/quote]

He got his ASS kicked by Custer and with a vastly inferior force for starters...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

He got his ASS kicked by Custer and with a vastly inferior force for starters...[/quote]

3,200 troopers vs. somewhere between 3,400-5,000 exhausted cavalrymen and their mounts who had just ridden nine days straight while raiding Maryland and Pennsylvania. Gregg's Cavalry was fresh and Custer was aggressive

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Circumstances make history interesting. JEBS was a no show at Gettysburg and Lee had counted on him. Lee's decision to hold his Generals back from attacking, like Pickett when he entered and could've easily beat the Union forces was the first of a cascade of mistakes that cost him the battle. Had Lee listened to Longstreet he'd have avoided the catastrophe that ensued. Lee was an offensive tactician and Longstreet was a defensive tactician. In the fog of war little mistakes and circumstances that arise make a lot of difference.
Had Lee won Gettysburg the war would've likely been prolonged and inevitable defeat of the south cost much more in lives for both sides. The North did not play well nor did the South on occasion. It's just the cost of mayhem and individual opportunity for mayhem in war.
Custer suffered the same fate, I think. He was a controversial figure. I read that he and his brother were hated but his brother more than he for what he did to Indians. in my mind Little big Horn was sort of a glimpse of what it would have been like if Lee had won Gettysburg. It prolonged the inevitable.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

He got his ASS kicked by Custer and with a vastly inferior force for starters...

3,200 troopers vs. somewhere between 3,400-5,000 exhausted cavalrymen and their mounts who had just ridden nine days straight while raiding Maryland and Pennsylvania. Gregg's Cavalry was fresh and Custer was aggressive[/quote]

Custer had less than 600 Wolverines at Gettysburg. But that was just a start. The end was Custer vs Stuart at Yellow Tavern…

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What people don’t know about Custer, eclipses that which they think they know. Most people’s knowledge of Custer is the defeat at LBH.

They know nothing of:

Why he was there
What his orders were
How plains Indians were fought (this alone changes the perception of fighting Indians)
Why he attacked in the 25th instead of the 26th
Why Benteen was sent on an oblique
Why Reno was sent down Reno Creek
Why he went down the River to attack from the East
Why Sheridan put so much faith in Custer
What didn’t happen that contributed to his defeat

Outside the LBH, Custer’s accomplishments in the Civil War are largely unknown.

Everyone knows of Lee, Grant, Sherman, Longstreet, Forrest and so on, but few even know that at Appomattox, Custer captured some of Lee’s artillery and forced Lee to surrender to Grant. Phil Sheridan bought the table the treaty and gave it to Custer’s wife, Libby with this note:

“Permit me to say, Madam,” Sheridan wrote to Libbie, “that there is scarcely an individual in our service who has contributed more to bring about this desirable result than your gallant husband.”

After Libbie’s death in 1933, her will specified that the table be given to the Smithsonian Institution.

Like Custer or hate him, history hasn’t been kind to him and most people don’t know what they think they know as they criticize him…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

3,200 troopers vs. somewhere between 3,400-5,000 exhausted cavalrymen and their mounts who had just ridden nine days straight while raiding Maryland and Pennsylvania. Gregg's Cavalry was fresh and Custer was aggressive

Custer had less than 600 Wolverines at Gettysburg. But that was just a start. The end was Custer vs Stuart at Yellow Tavern…[/quote]
Custer had that. But Custer wasn't in charge. It was Gregg's Cavalry and they had 3,200 Troopers at East Cavalry field

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"George Armstrong Custer. Custer was assigned to the division of Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick but happened to be on loan to David Gregg and requested permission from Gregg to join his fight. Altogether, 3,250 Union troopers opposed Stuart."

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
All interesting.
Shrap… I thought about some of your ideas as I recently returned from the area. Contemplations come easier to me when I’m on site so to speak.
I hope you find the cache of evidence of which you search. When the bands broke camp they fragmented as they always did and after the elation of winning the battle wore off and reality of consequence set in it strikes me that getting rid of evidence would be easiest and fastest if the evidence were thrown in the water.
I would also be magnet searching hard in the Bighorn, Yellowstone, Tongue, and others for metal objects, rings, watches, guns, etc.
I know a rancher who found a row of singed military buttons on his place among other things. Could it be some of the clothing taken off bodies was later burned along with other flammables?
Lastly I know from a very good source of someone who was cleaning out a spring to get the flow back up who found two military rifles in the mud. Seems they would have been thrown in there when the pool was full back in the day?
Noting the examples above is what really brought home the “hide it underwater thought” quick and easy.

Just some thoughts.. again I’m hoping your search goes well because any new items or evidence found would be great for the cause of understanding.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Circumstances make history interesting. JEBS was a no show at Gettysburg and Lee had counted on him. Lee's decision to hold his Generals back from attacking, like Pickett when he entered and could've easily beat the Union forces was the first of a cascade of mistakes that cost him the battle. Had Lee listened to Longstreet he'd have avoided the catastrophe that ensued. Lee was an offensive tactician and Longstreet was a defensive tactician. In the fog of war little mistakes and circumstances that arise make a lot of difference.
Had Lee won Gettysburg the war would've likely been prolonged and inevitable defeat of the south cost much more in lives for both sides. The North did not play well nor did the South on occasion. It's just the cost of mayhem and individual opportunity for mayhem in war.
Custer suffered the same fate, I think. He was a controversial figure. I read that he and his brother were hated but his brother more than he for what he did to Indians. in my mind Little big Horn was sort of a glimpse of what it would have been like if Lee had won Gettysburg. It prolonged the inevitable.

I completely disagree that had Lee been victorious at Gettysburg the "defeat of the South" would have been inevitable.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
"George Armstrong Custer. Custer was assigned to the division of Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick but happened to be on loan to David Gregg and requested permission from Gregg to join his fight. Altogether, 3,250 Union troopers opposed Stuart."

Understood, and Custer was never alone in any battle, it was what he did with the cavalry that he had command of that was so decisive. He was not "wait and see," he was always on the attack and with what would be considered a small force against superior odds.

Perfect? no, but as good as Grant or any other general was a tactician, Custer was as good or better, leading men into battle and that is what wins wars.

Growing up in Montana, I was embarrassed to see we had a forest, a county, a town and other notable geographic locations named after a pompous killer that attacked a large gathering of noble Indians camping on the plains of Montana.

It wasn't until I started investigating the Custer Battlefield (that is what they named it and I will still refer to it as that) that I learned of his exploits during the Civil War and subsequent conflicts with Indians and his leading several expeditions on the frontier, that I came to know more of who Custer was and wasn't...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Osky
All interesting.
Shrap… I thought about some of your ideas as I recently returned from the area. Contemplations come easier to me when I’m on site so to speak.
I hope you find the cache of evidence of which you search. When the bands broke camp they fragmented as they always did and after the elation of winning the battle wore off and reality of consequence set in it strikes me that getting rid of evidence would be easiest and fastest if the evidence were thrown in the water.
I would also be magnet searching hard in the Bighorn, Yellowstone, Tongue, and others for metal objects, rings, watches, guns, etc.
I know a rancher who found a row of singed military buttons on his place among other things. Could it be some of the clothing taken off bodies was later burned along with other flammables?
Lastly I know from a very good source of someone who was cleaning out a spring to get the flow back up who found two military rifles in the mud. Seems they would have been thrown in there when the pool was full back in the day?
Noting the examples above is what really brought home the “hide it underwater thought” quick and easy.

Just some thoughts.. again I’m hoping your search goes well because any new items or evidence found would be great for the cause of understanding.

Osky

There is a common thought that Sitting Bull had warned the Indians to not take any material from the battlefield, that would get them in trouble should they be captured by whites with that contraband. I have no clue as to the truthfulness of that claim. I can tell you that a plains Indian would not leave 2 important items if they had a chance to get them, and that would be a horse or a gun. Nothing was more important to the survival of any person on the frontier, white or Indian, than a horse or gun.

Our investigation is for whatever they did leave that they couldn't take with them, which still could include a firearm or two, but it is doubtfull they left many guns.

You can be sure, no Indian left a rifle or threw it in a river...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

I have collected some interesting artifacts over the years, just not the cache we hope to find someday...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I agree with the thought about what sitting bull said true or not. By this time buffalo were getting scarce in many area and a lot of Indians were on and off the reservations depending on time of year, food, etc.
How many involved in LBH were back on the reservations surrendering within a year?
I think they were savvy enough at this time not to show up among soldiers with gear/items taken from dead soldiers.
It was a different time for sure.
Do you know of anyone who has done extensive searches in the rivers and major creeks in that area? Many of the Indian crossing areas are still known of.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,860
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.