Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No. I'm just an old gunsmith and Martin is a friend. He introduced himself to me in Calgary in the mid-80's and showed me a rifle he was taking down to the ACGG show that year. He was, at the time, planning to move to Canada and the Cranbrook area. Why he came to talk to me about it, I have no idea.
There are many layers to Martin and a book based on his resume would be fascinating to any gun guy. The really amazing thing is not just the quality of his work but the matter of fact way he approaches and accomplishes it. I have recounted, on another thread, the time he wanted to show me how he made his checkering tools and how he checkered a stock. He made the tool and checkered the grip as a demonstration; all in less than an hour.
He would, occasionally, farm out jobs. He showed me some checkering he had farmed out once and I saw, right away, a spot where a mistake had been made and fixed, leaving a very slight divot in the pattern. Martin said, "I can do better than that" and I don't think he ever farmed out any checkering again. I can't imagine why he ever did.
Sometimes, when he would ask me to do something, I felt like he was just throwing me a bone! I know damn well, anything I could do, he could do better. GD

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
If looking for a stock maker why not send it to Ralph Martini.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes, Ralf worked under Martin for several years and makes stocks in much the same pattern as Martin and I think the workmanship is excellent; I dont think one could tell the difference. GD

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You might consider Dennis Olson in Plains MT. Had a chance to see his stock work on single shots at his shop. Hopefully I’ll be able to send him a Ruger #1 I’m planning on to stock.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Tarquin Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks guys. 'Preciate the advise.

Tarquin
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
bringing up an old thread.

Anyone have any current suggestions for single shot work? All the guys listed either flat out said no or never replied.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
bringing up an old thread.

Anyone have any current suggestions for single shot work? All the guys listed either flat out said no or never replied.
As already mentioned, both Martin Hagn and Ralf Martini are great. Martin is definitely a master of the singleshots. He also does some flat top checkering that is just unbelievable.
Duane Wiebe. To me, he's a favorite.
Steven Dodd Hughes (SDH).
Dennis Olsen.
Aaron Little.
I believe Stephen Heilmann's son is carrying on his legacy.
There's a pretty good list here: https://www.acgg.org/

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
For Gunstock work (but these can do it all)

Steve Nelson (Oregon)

Reto Buehler (Oklahoma)

Roger Green (Washington)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.