Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We have small ones here most you can't feel. I remember the refrigerator rocking back and forth and the winows rattling as a kid.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Once, on Long Island, when I was a kid. Woke up to everything in my bedroom rattling at about 5:00 AM. Weird feeling. Turned the TV on to hear that we'd experienced an earthquake. On Long Island, an earthquake is generally mild, because it's basically made of sand, which cushions it a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only one that I've felt. Here in Virginia. A 5.8 in 2011. I was on the 4th floor of a large concrete building. I had never felt one before and just figured it was vibration. It turned out to be a swaying motion that lasted a lot longer than I figured one would. Epicenter was near Richmond but it was felt very clearly in DC and southeast Virginia. It actually caused quite a bit of damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Virginia_earthquake

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been in 2 pretty good shakers in Idaho but both times was far enough away to seem like tremors.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Only one that I've felt. Here in Virginia. A 5.8 in 2011. I was on the 4th floor of a large concrete building. I had never felt one before and just figured it was vibration. It turned out to be a swaying motion that lasted a lot longer than I figured one would. Epicenter was near Richmond but it was felt very clearly in DC and southeast Virginia. It actually caused quite a bit of damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Virginia_earthquake

We felt that one in Frederick, MD about 100 miles away. About a year earlier, we had a small one where the epicenter was about 5 miles away. That was small, but it woke me up. I could hear the vibration through my pillow. It was pretty weird.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I experienced a nice one on the Wilcox rifle range at Camp Pendleton.
Flat as a pancake for thousand yards in every direction.
Then we had west 2 foot swells at about 8 seconds.
You could see them coming and watch them go, Range Control was screaming cease fire.
It will mess with you a bit to see waves in soil, just like water.
Before cell cameras unfortunately.

Oh, am I supposed to have some pithy saying here? Sorry, not today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many. My high school was destroyed in the Loma Prieta quake. I lived at the time in the Monterey Bay Area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few mild ones. Nothing big. Was dropping my kid off at his mother's early in the morning when the Spring Break Quake (Scott's Mills 1993) hit. Thought my RX7 was getting a flat.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm waiting for the Yellowstone Caldera to blow.That'll solve all my problems.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Several mild ones, slept right through a few.
Seems the Rocky Mountains like to dance, on occasion!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 64 quake and the 7.1 from a few years back were the biggest, but there were many more.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lived in SoCal since 1968. Was working when the Whittier quake hit in 87. I was moving between fire stations that morning. The radio station I was listening to immediately started playing "Whole Lotta Shakin" by Jerry Lee Lewis. We did a district tour, patched up a people with cuts and bruises from falling stuff and breaking glass. We rescued a some people from a stuck elevator at the California Federal bank headquarters building. One of the ladies was completely catatonic with fear. Out cold mentally like a zombie. I never saw anything like that before or after. This building was 10 stories tall but looked like as if you picked up a doll house and slammed it on the ground.
Northridge quake we were assigned to a mobile home park nearly under the I5 bridge collapse where the cop ran off and died. The park had no water so we were there for fire protection.
Was at home for the Sierra Madre quake, I had just picked up a brand new 6 x 10 utility trailer. I was sitting at a red light when it hit and watched in the side mirror as the tire bounced about a foot off the ground like a basketball.
Landers quake and several smaller but noticeable quakes.
I hate them. You don't know when they are coming, how strong they are or how long they will last. I figure with smoke detectors and a security system I have a little time and tools to react. Not so with quakes.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
at home I try to get the kids out of the house.

At work, I ride and earthquake like a surf board.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I was visiting my parents in Ecuador in April of 2016. They moved there from Washington State in 2011. We were up in the Andes Mountains about 100 miles east of the epicenter of the 7.8 quake that killed hundreds of people.

The earth was definitely moving!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been through a few. Most noticeable for me was in 1957. One very noticeable one about 1 PM as I recall with several good aftershocks the rest of the next few days. For some reason the one I remember the most during those few days was I was in my bedroom when an aftershock hit and I'm watching the houses across the way bobbing up and down as waves ran through the sand. Looked just like large swells on the ocean. For about three days San Francisco was really rockin' and a rollin'. Went through a few others at different times but they weren't much and were over and done quickly.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was sitting in a wooden rocker one morning, drinking coffee. Wife in the kitchen making biscuits.
The chair suddenly wiggled slightly under my butt! I looked up just in time to see the ceiling fans (2 in the LR) swaying gently. South central OK.
Yup! Tiny quake up near Moore, OK.

From then on, I kept a fishing rod propped in the corner of the LR. The slightest tremor and the fishing rod would dance!

Did get to see some of the pictures of the 1964 quake/tsunami that hit Kodiak Island. Awesome!
They say that the fact that the tsunami hit about 5 o'clock in the afternoon saved lives. Everybody (most) was home eating supper.

"... The tsunami killed eight people in Kodiak and destroyed 158 houses. The magnitude 9.2 earthquake was the second largest ever recorded, but tsunamis triggered by the earthquake and landslides that followed the earthquake killed 106 people out of 115 deaths in Alaska. ..."

Last edited by martinstrummer; 06/04/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in San Francisco during the 1989 earthquake. It wasn’t much fun at all but it was exciting. I was in my hotel room on about the 30th floor. It came to mind that if it crumbled, at least I’d be close to the top of the pile of rubble. Soon as it stopped, I headed down stairs not really knowing what else to do. Electricity was off and the elevators were shut down. Not that I would have gotten in one. I had a flashlight and portable radio. The radio was the only way we could find out what was happening. Met my wife in the lobby.

The hotel did a fantastic job of providing for people looking for shelter as well as their guests
Walking back up 30 floors to get my luggage wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. My wife and I bringing down our luggage and parents luggage 30 floors wasn’t easy or fun.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mbhunt
" ... Like a lot of things, they're really a man made catastrophe for the most part.

Huh??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by mbhunt
" ... Like a lot of things, they're really a man made catastrophe for the most part.

Huh??

L.W.
Another way to put it: β€œearthquakes don’t kill people, falling buildings kill people.”

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool. Live in a tent.

Last edited by Joel/AK; 06/04/22.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 9 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.