Are they on a High School team?

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We have driven across the country multiple times with the family. I had the option of pulling a family camper behind my 2500 Duramax or staying in a hotel. When I put the pencil to paper, I couldn't make the math work out with the camper. If staying in an RV Park, you're not saving much money over a hotel. Combine that with the fuel economy towing and you're upside down. I also abhor the idea of parking a camper on a concrete pad next to "neighbors" to "enjoy the great outdoors". Something about that is corny as hell. Now, if boondocking in the Bighorns is on the list, I could go for that.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For anyone who has to choose staying in a hotel room over camping, because the hotel is cheaper, I really feel sorry for you.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Travel Trailers"

Run.

Run fast and don't look back.

LOL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love my 28 foot TT. No regrets whatsoever.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pal
For anyone who has to choose staying in a hotel room over camping, because the hotel is cheaper, I really feel sorry for you.

Yep 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We have had a 26' BHS..12' slide. I had the factory raise it 4", to increase ground clearance. Bought new in 2012, no issues yet. Take care to do the proper maintenance. I believe I could sell it for close to what I paid. Considering todays prices. The next will be a toy hauler, in the 22' size range..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by pal

Yep 👊🏻

💯

It’s awesome having your trailer set up with all your stuff and comforts of home.

Plus you’re not sleeping in beds or showering in showers that hundreds of disgusting strangers have before you

😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We actually keep a weeks worth of cloths and a buncha grub in ours. I can hook up any day of the week and hit er. 👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
I have been kicking around the idea of buying a travel trailer. I have never owned one but have seriously thought about buying one numerous times through the years. It seems that a lot of people that do own them are always having to work on them. It seems this or that is always out/broken. I really like the idea of a travel trailer but the idea of the air conditioner going out in the middle of a trip in July (or any other repairs) keeps me from buying one.

I can’t fix anything. If you want something really messed up let me try to fix it.

How much trouble is a 24 to 26 foot travel trailer to keep everything up and running? Is it something a guy with low mechanical skills fix and keep them working. Or should I keep staying in hotels.

Thanks
Stay in hotels. Something is always needing fixed or you have to figure out how to configure it to use it. But, I'm not a fan.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll add, just like most things, a camp trailer is one of the things I’d buy brand new. Like anything used, you don’t know how it was maintained/taken care of. Just my opinion

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We don’t travel enough to justify one. We have a place in the N.C mountains, and my Dad has a place on the S.C coast. No need for a camper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I love my little Lance. It’s lifted and gets into ugly areas like elk and deer camp. Nice bed, kitchen and bath. Although I love tent camping, the weather has to be cooperative.

Quite an improvement from tenting it all of my life.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a 24 ft Alsco (?) that I've spent a few summers in MT in. Wife really loves it. We have it in the Mtns. up by Lassen this Summer. Pretty cheap get away vs. the 100+ degree heat in the valley. If gas hits $10/gal my tune will certainly be different!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We have used outdoorsy.com to rent a a camper in the past. My experience was great. The guy delivered to the site, set it up for us and picked it up when we were done. Gonna do it again this summer. Not a bad way to go if you want to try before you buy.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you travel with the boys get the 26-28' trailer. You'll like the room and just as easy to tow. I have a 24' Outdoors RV but it's just the wife and I. With more people I'd want more room.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
We have a 5th wheel which my wife loves. This is what I pull on hunting trips. It's a hard side popup that weighs less than 3,000 lbs. It's perfect for 1 or 2 people. I'll sell the 5th wheel before I get rid of this
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have looked at those online. How long does it take to set up and take down? Does the AC keep it cool?
It doesn't take long to set it up or take it down. I timed the take down the other day and it was about 4.5 minutes and I was by myself. This rig actually has a heat pump and it works really well. In addition to the heat pump, it has a gas fired furnace.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 06/05/22.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Judman
I’ll add, just like most things, a camp trailer is one of the things I’d buy brand new. Like anything used, you don’t know how it was maintained/taken care of. Just my opinion
And you are correct.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
Thanks everyone.

My boys are competitive trap shooters and it would nice to have a place to stay at the shoot instead of driving back and forth.
When you're at a trap shoot, look to see what RV's and travel trailers are there then talk to the owners. They love talking about their rigs and you will learn a lot of what works and what doesn't.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
We have a 5th wheel which my wife loves. This is what I pull on hunting trips. It's a hard side popup that weighs less than 3,000 lbs. It's perfect for 1 or 2 people. I'll sell the 5th wheel before I get rid of this
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have looked at those online. How long does it take to set up and take down? Does the AC keep it cool?
It doesn't take long to set it up or take it down. I timed the take down the other day and it was about 4.5 minutes and I was by myself. This rig actually has a heat pump and it works really well. In addition to the heat pump, it has a gas fired furnace.

Does yours have the cassette toilet? If so, how does that work out?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 59 invisible), 3,282 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,963
Posts18,499,212
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.