Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It looks as though those who have participated in the past, and those who have expressed interest in our successful Summer gatherings in the SW, will have at least one more opportunity. This is an invite from three remaining members (CCCC, Darby and krp) of the SW gang that originated the event

Dates are the last weekend in July - Friday the 29th through Sunday the 31st – and the camp will be available at least one or two days before that for those who like to arrive earlier. We will be in the Coronado National Forest at about 8,0000 ft. up on Mt. Graham in the Pinaleno Mountains.

This invitational thread will run for about a month into early July, at which time we will make a final ID of all likely participants. Then, all of those signing up will be involved in a private group PM for planning, covering of tasks and essentials, and driving/location specifics.

If you need further info, have suggestions and/or wish to sign up – this is the place.

Welcome to all.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
tag

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Would love to attend, should have a better idea by July 1st.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
TTT

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tagged

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is a great event. I wish I could make it this year but my calendar won't allow it. Anyone contemplating attending will be pleased if they do.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wife is taking time off of work to attend with her husband this year.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
TTT

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Beautiful area. Used to hunt deer and quail around the mountain in the '80s.

Old guy, old guns.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My dad was born in Thatcher and raised there on my granddad's cotton farm during the depression. Their house didn't have electricity. When he was in the 8th grade they moved 3 times, my granddad was also a mechanic/welder for the mines and El Paso gas, whichever had work.

First he got a high paying Job in mexican mine, after moving the family down my grandmother was having none of it, so she packed the kids up and came back, he followed soon after. They then went to California and an oil industry job. My grandmother took the money they had and bought 40 acres in Tempe Az, it had 4 small houses, she sold 2 that were moved away whole, the second one she gave to my dad when he married my mom and that was where I was born.

Anyway dad still deer hunted up there every year, mostly at Eagle creek or Alma Mesa, that's where I started deer hunting. Twice we did hunt Mt Graham, but the last time was 1979, it's beautiful up there and remote, we went up the west side from Pima or Thatcher, I've never been up from the east side.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking forward to your storytelling, Kent!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'm looking forward to your storytelling, Kent!

Ha... I've spent some time in Safford, but it's been a long time. My grandparents still had some acreage there, they leased it to an alfalfa grower, a percentage of the bales would go to my dad to feed the horses. Dad had an old dump truck and a flatbed trailer he used with a backhoe on the water company he owned in Christopher creek. He'd make me drive that to Safford and load it to the max, bring that hay back to Mesa... butt puckering coming down from 'Top of the World' to Superior.

When my granddad was young, his dad, uncle and him would homestead around Silver city NM, they'd claim a couple at a time, throw up fences and a small building, and when the claim was proved they'd sell. Dad said there was still some fence posts with the Powell name on them.

Granddad met my grandmother in Willcox at a dance, by then he and his dad had farms in Safford. They married in Miami, Az after a couple month courtship.

My grandmother was living with her married sister after both their parents died in Durango, Co a couple months apart. She was 17.

Tough days back then, tough people.

Kent

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Kat and I will be there! Looking forward to another great time!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I am planning on being there, barring any unforeseen circumstances 😁

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/06/22.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hunted the area generally west of Mt. Graham a few times in the mid 1960s and 70s - one of the the first areas where I saw Mule Deer and Coues Deer sharing habitat, and once in a while could find a rare cross breed.

First went all the way up Mt. Graham to Riggs Flat Lake in 1971 - it was a weekend shakedown cruise for the 67 Dodge 3/4 ton crew cab, and I had put a big Red Dale cabover camper on it. It was a 2.5 or 3 hour trip from our home in Tucson and the whole family was enthusiastic about our first adventure in that rig. The four girls ranged from 2 yrs to 10 years of age at the time, and it seemed as if all of them were taking turns scooting back and forth from camper to back seat of the truck through the booted opening - all the way up the mountain - telling mom and dad the latest scene or animal they had seen.

We camped by the lake, enjoyed the blue sky mountain weather, went fishing and did some "boating" with a raft deal I had made using inner tubes (remember those?). We experienced some bears - and the gang likely will do so this July.

45 100 and his lovely wife drove us up the mountain recently to scout possible sites for this gathering. Very enjoyable.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've been up on Graham many times. I will be there in spirit since I ain't coming to Arizona in July. Besides, I'll be deer hunting🤷‍♂️

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We will miss you Dennis - until you started hanging out in AK, you were part of the fun from the very start of these gatherings out here many years ago. Have a great hunt.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
TTT

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thank you, Rick Bin, for making this thread a sticky.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes. my thanks as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.