Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
So my dad was a nut for Mepps spinners. A #3 Gold was his go-to; there were times when he might step outside his comfort zone and go with silver, or REALLY get radical and go with a red & white daredevil, but generally it was the Mepps #3 Gold undressed.

I recognize that, on the one hand, if you only use one lure all the time you’ll catch all yer fish on it. Duh.

Conversely I recognize you’ll miss the fish that aren’t interested.

And that many lures are nothing but marketing hype trying to separate fools from their money.

A few weekends ago I went fishing with a buddy & his son. My buddy and I rotated through our usual favorites… Mepps, Cleo’s, and rapalas. His son, however, stuck with HIS favorite the entire time, the Beetlespin, and outfished us 2-to-1.

This past weekend I ran a beetlespin with a Berkley GULP minnow and nailed a lot of fish, but went back to my standby Mepps on my way out & nailed my biggest smallie of the day.

What’s your favorite lure? How willing are you to experiment? How hard do you push it when trying something new?

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Do I have to pick just one? Able to fish year round here so it varies.

Usually a Mepps Musky Marabou or a Medusa swimbait.

If those two aren't getting looks, I don't dare to throw something different.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I use live bait most of the time, but when I do throw artificials it's usually a Beetle Spin or a Johnson Silver minnow with a little 1" grubtail trailer. I use better jigheads on the Beetle Spins, though. The hooks that come on them are about as firm as microwaved butter...

*added*

Ice fishing I'm mostly after panfish, a 2-3mm tungsten jig is my standard 99% of the time, usually tipped with Gulp waxie, a nibblet of crawler, or a wax worm. If something bigger does cruise through and scatter the panfish, I'll drop a chain or sliver spoon, or a small #1 or #2 jigging plug.

Last edited by zcm82; 06/08/22. Reason: addition
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty vague question. Species, time of year, water conditions, all that makes huge differences in lure selection.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Tough one. In the far north for my boat a wades wobbler or doctor spoon. Lakers, pike, walleyes will take those. If far enough south a musky or smally will as well at times.
A jig with rubber tail if the same fish are moving slow.

Years ago there was a crank bait called a Cacklin rap I believe. I’ve got some left back home. I’m not sure what scale the sound is when it clicks but it is flat incredible catching fish. No longer made, of course.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have caught many, many fish on Beetlespins. I have neve caught anything on any of the Mepps that I have tried. I have not really used them extensively, so I am not saying that no one catches anything with them, just that I haven't. I have tried them when other things are catching fish to try and give them a fair chance, but it hasn't worked out. Likewise, I have never caught any northerns/muskies on bucktails. I think that there must be something in my aura.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around here, my go-to has often been a dark-colored 6" plastic worm, either Texas rigged (around cover) or on a long-shank jig head (open water). I'm also fond of a cheap little H&H spinnerbait in a light color. They aren't much bigger than a BeetleSpin.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Trout fishing it would be a rooster tail, brown trout color. Rapala for everything else. I can't say what my tried and true musky lure is.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I put together a small tray-style tackle box I could grab and go fishing. Mostly geared to bass and farm pond type fish.

Rooster tail spinner, beetle spin, rapala original, couple of six inch plastic worms, couple bobbers and hooks and weights, a few twister tails on jig heads, a jitterbug, and a small buzzbait.

Those are the ones that always seem to work, and when one doesn't get it done, another will.

Once again, I have overthought things and spent hundreds on lures and different ideas.

Could have saved all that money and time. Just like guns. Could have bought a 223 and 308 and retired early lol

Last edited by mjbgalt; 06/09/22.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a pile of stuff to sling, . . .

BUT

If I can't do it with a white spinner bait, black and silver Rapala, copper Mepps, I am having a NO fish day.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My “do-all” is either a rooster tail or the micro 1/8 oz chatterbaits.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JPro
Around here, my go-to has often been a dark-colored 6" plastic worm, either Texas rigged (around cover) or on a long-shank jig head (open water). I'm also fond of a cheap little H&H spinnerbait in a light color. They aren't much bigger than a BeetleSpin.

Hard to beat a plastic worm or spinner bait for Bass. When I was a kid I the late 1960’s, the first bass lure I ever bought was one of those H&H Spinnerbaits.
They were $.19 cents at Gibson’s Discount Center.

Nowadays, if I’m fishing for bass and crappies with an ultralight spinning rig, it’s either a Beetle Spin or a small Mariboo jig head with a spinner blade or curly tail plastic grub on it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Pretty vague question. Species, time of year, water conditions, all that makes huge differences in lure selection.
This.

Or if you want to cover "most" species I would say a nightcrawler.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/09/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
lead head jig

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on the targeted species, but if I had to pick........... I could do all my fishing with :

Johnson Silver Doctor spoon

J07 or J09 Rapala in silver (S)

Joe's Fly in brown w/silver blade

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by MOGC
This.

Or if you want to cover "most" species I would say a nightcrawler.

No that’s fair. I ought to have disclosed to type of fishing I do.

I mostly fish smallmouth, northern, and trout on smallish rivers.

I guess I was asking not just what yer standby(s) might be for your typical fishing but how long you try something new that you’ve heard is good also before you go back to what you know?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rooster tail, Panther Martin, Mepps should all cover what you have listed.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.