-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Failed the physical. Eyesight, hearing and weird feet.

Thanks to you all who did serve.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
E-1 to O-5 over 24 years.
My wife is currently O-6 and has received recommendation for O-7. She just has to decide if she wants another 5 years of the crap when she planned to be done at the end of this year.

I know a woman who was in the same situation. She opted to retire as an O-6 and seems satisfied with her choice. That said, getting promoted to flag rank is a special achievement in any military organization and not one to be taken lightly.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
O-3 in the Army. Did five years. 13A Seems like a long time ago and time really flies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CTI3 - E4 Third Class Petty Officer, tho I picked up 2nd Class as I was getting out, just never got to put it on.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My wife is currently O-6 and has received recommendation for O-7. She just has to decide if she wants another 5 years of the crap when she planned to be done at the end of this year.

I know a woman who was in the same situation. She opted to retire as an O-6 and seems satisfied with her choice. That said, getting promoted to flag rank is a special achievement in any military organization and not one to be taken lightly.

Definitely. When she was asked by the 2 star she works for if she was interested in a star, she said no. I told her to go in there and rescind that no and think about it. I know she is ready to be done, but I don't want her to regret the choice. There's a big jump from 0-5 where I finished to O-6 where she is now, and an even bigger jump to O-7, so I really want her to be OK with the choice either way. My ego can survive being married to a General.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Definitely. When she was asked by the 2 star she works for if she was interested in a star, she said no. I told her to go in there and rescind that no and think about it. I know she is ready to be done, but I don't want her to regret the choice. There's a big jump from 0-5 where I finished to O-6 where she is now, and an even bigger jump to O-7, so I really want her to be OK with the choice either way. My ego can survive being married to a General.
I should think so! That's a hell of a "Pink" ID car to have. Good on her.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Maybe she will reconsider that. It's a pretty big deal.

Retired cat herder.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
CW3

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sgt. E-5.....U.S. Army July 1967-June 1970.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
USAF 1956-1960. E-3. There were few promotions in the AF at the time, but our Army and Navy counterparts made good rank. We provided OJT training to Navy CTs (like Teal) who got out of tech school with more rank that we experienced airmen had. I did an E-5 job as an E-3. You could tell the supervisors by their faded stripes. Best friend from HS was in an Army company (ASA) next door to us, and he was a four stripe sgt. before the end of his three year hitch.

It didn't sit well with veteran airmen when some Army or Navy NCO tried to pull rank. Saw a couple of fights in the NCO club over that.

Luck of the draw, the times. Later there was a heck of a deal with an early out and reenlistment that would have quickly resulted in two promotions and proficiency pay, but my separation date was three days too early to make the cutoff, so I did the full four years to the day, and got out with my faded two stripes and a Good Conduct medal. Missed the Korean GI Bill by six months too. Can't complain too much. Picked up the Vietnam era GI Bill in 1966, and got an Expeditionary medal a few years later when they recognized that I had served in a hot zone. Also, 20 years later got a couple of medals from the Republic of China, presented by an ambassador at a big Chinese dinner event in Chicago for their national holiday. Nice of them.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you all that served.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ROTC and a high draft lottery was as close as I got. I still have my draft cards from College, you were supposed to have them on your person at all times. When I was In college the draft designation changed for a little deferment for being in school...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul39
USAF 1956-1960. E-3. There were few promotions in the AF at the time, but our Army and Navy counterparts made good rank. We provided OJT training to Navy CTs (like Teal) who got out of tech school with more rank that we experienced airmen had. I did an E-5 job as an E-3. You could tell the supervisors by their faded stripes. Best friend from HS was in Army company next door to us, and he was a four stripe sgt. before the end of his three year hitch (ASA).

It didn't sit well with veteran airmen when some Army or Navy NCO tried to pull rank. Saw a couple of fights in the NCO club over that.

Luck of the draw, the times. Later there was a heck of a deal with an early out and reenlistment that would have quickly resulted in two promotions and proficiency pay, but my separation date was three days too early to make the cutoff, so I did the full four years to the day, and got out with my faded two stripes and a Good Conduct medal. Missed the Korean GI Bill by six months too. Can't complain too much. Picked up the Vietnam era GI Bill in 1966, and got an Expeditionary medal a few years later when they recognized that I had served in a hot zone. Also, 20 years later got a couple of medals from the Republic of China, presented by an ambassador at a big Chinese dinner event in Chicago for their national holiday. Nice of them.

When I was in (02-06) - the services picked up rank pretty even, except for AF. They were stuck at E3 longer than we were in the Navy but by the end of 4, we were all E4s at a minimum. Differences being sea services have E4 as NCOs and the others don't. Most Navy were looking at E5 tho right at that 4 year mark and my AF friends had to go a while longer - it seems.

Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I finally finished college and started grad school in 1970, I ran into a guy in the hall who had been an E-2 supply clerk in my last squadron. Going to college under an AF education and commissioning program. Later I saw in an alumni newsletter that he was a Captain. I'd have given my right nut for a deal like that. Like I said, the times. Missed Vietnam, nobody shooting at me, although the ChiComs threatened us constantly.

Side note. Our base security was provided by Nationalist troops, who were mostly Chinese Communist POWs from Korea who chose to go to Taiwan and serve in the Nationalist army rather than be repatriated to the mainland. Not a warm fuzzy feeling.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When I was discharged, I was a staff Seargent in the US Army Reserve.

You good folks?
TM-3 (SS) in the Navy..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When I was discharged, I was a staff Seargent in the US Army Reserve.

You good folks?
TM-3 (SS) in the Navy..

My bunkmate in basic was a TM - they merged with GM in 07.

Me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
1 year 11 months 27 days reg.active Army. Discharged as Spec.5 Swaped 1 year active for 1 year National Guard.
1 year US Army National Guard--- Spec. 5

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
SP/4, though they tried numerous times to send me off to BNOC. I didn't want to go, and didn't. 11C1P. Long time ago, but not that far away.

Was BNOC a predecessor to PLDC??? BNCOC was for SGT (P). SPC (P) went to PLDC..

Basic NCO Course.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
SP/4, though they tried numerous times to send me off to BNOC. I didn't want to go, and didn't. 11C1P. Long time ago, but not that far away.

Basic NCO Course.

BNOC is what all the army types in my shop called it when I was there.

They were E4 and hated the Army - get picked up for Bnoc and E5 - came back as devout followers off all things green.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by 79S

Basic NCO Course.

BNOC is what all the army types in my shop called it when I was there.

They were E4 and hated the Army - get picked up for Bnoc and E5 - came back as devout followers off all things green.
For me it was PLDC, BNOC1, BNOC2, ANOC1 and ANOC2 in that order just to get to E-7 Plus I threw in a Blackhawk school for 7 weeks July and August 2001. My basic and AIT was in 1973. I was out for 8 years and went back in in 1985.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.