Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by 79S
SP/4, though they tried numerous times to send me off to BNOC. I didn't want to go, and didn't. 11C1P. Long time ago, but not that far away.

Was BNOC a predecessor to PLDC??? BNCOC was for SGT (P). SPC (P) went to PLDC..

Basic NCO Course.

BNOC is what all the army types in my shop called it when I was there.

They were E4 and hated the Army - get picked up for Bnoc and E5 - came back as devout followers off all things green.
For me it was PLDC, BNOC1, BNOC2, ANOC1 and ANOC2 in that order just to get to E-7 Plus I threw in a Blackhawk school for 7 weeks July and August 2001. My basic and AIT was in 1973. I was out for 8 years and went back in in 1985.
kwg

Could be these guys were just using slang and calling it all BNOC? Don't know. I was Navy. You get a Petty Officer's Indoc class when you pick up e4 and then learn the rest OTJ it seems.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Corporal, Combat Engineers. Vietnam.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Paul39
USAF 1956-1960. E-3. There were few promotions in the AF at the time, but our Army and Navy counterparts made good rank. We provided OJT training to Navy CTs (like Teal) who got out of tech school with more rank that we experienced airmen had. I did an E-5 job as an E-3. You could tell the supervisors by their faded stripes. Best friend from HS was in an Army company (ASA) next door to us, and he was a four stripe sgt. before the end of his three year hitch.

It didn't sit well with veteran airmen when some Army or Navy NCO tried to pull rank. Saw a couple of fights in the NCO club over that.

Luck of the draw, the times. Later there was a heck of a deal with an early out and reenlistment that would have quickly resulted in two promotions and proficiency pay, but my separation date was three days too early to make the cutoff, so I did the full four years to the day, and got out with my faded two stripes and a Good Conduct medal. Missed the Korean GI Bill by six months too. Can't complain too much. Picked up the Vietnam era GI Bill in 1966, and got an Expeditionary medal a few years later when they recognized that I had served in a hot zone. Also, 20 years later got a couple of medals from the Republic of China, presented by an ambassador at a big Chinese dinner event in Chicago for their national holiday. Nice of them.

My dad was in during the same time and got out as an E-4. He said he lost some friends because he made rank so “quick”. Lol. He said it was basically impossible to make rank. They wanted to send him to Chinese language school and we’re trying to entice him to stay in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Made Sgt/E5 in under 2 1/2 years.
SGT(p) at ets, after 4 years active duty.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
E-4 mafia, USAF 462 Weapons.

Good Shooting!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Paul39
USAF 1956-1960. E-3. There were few promotions in the AF at the time, but our Army and Navy counterparts made good rank. We provided OJT training to Navy CTs (like Teal) who got out of tech school with more rank that we experienced airmen had. I did an E-5 job as an E-3. You could tell the supervisors by their faded stripes. Best friend from HS was in an Army company (ASA) next door to us, and he was a four stripe sgt. before the end of his three year hitch.

It didn't sit well with veteran airmen when some Army or Navy NCO tried to pull rank. Saw a couple of fights in the NCO club over that.

Luck of the draw, the times. Later there was a heck of a deal with an early out and reenlistment that would have quickly resulted in two promotions and proficiency pay, but my separation date was three days too early to make the cutoff, so I did the full four years to the day, and got out with my faded two stripes and a Good Conduct medal. Missed the Korean GI Bill by six months too. Can't complain too much. Picked up the Vietnam era GI Bill in 1966, and got an Expeditionary medal a few years later when they recognized that I had served in a hot zone. Also, 20 years later got a couple of medals from the Republic of China, presented by an ambassador at a big Chinese dinner event in Chicago for their national holiday. Nice of them.

My dad was in during the same time and got out as an E-4. He said he lost some friends because he made rank so “quick”. Lol. He said it was basically impossible to make rank. They wanted to send him to Chinese language school and we’re trying to entice him to stay in.

Ha. I was a Chinese linguist and they declared us surplus after our overseas duty and assigned us to meaningless make-work jobs for the rest of our enlistments. Meanwhile, they recruited guys like your dad to go to language school. What a waste! I didn't know anybody in my group who made E-4 in four years, although some might have made it in their later assignments.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, some of y'all made rank real quickly. A lot quicker than me. blush

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1LT, US Army. I got an early out to finish college 3 months before I was scheduled to make Captain.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by atvalaska
WI ANG 79 to 83 spec4....... joined real Army 11b E1 then out as E5 1989..... alot of you Vietnam vets wouldn't recognize me this one did but they dug him up due to DNA ... [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
What is the "Paul Harvey" rest of the story?
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier- this was the guy from Vietnam, he was laid there. I'm the 5th one in on the left......... this is about 9:30 at night when they lowered him in . Years latter DNA came along they figured out who he was so >they dug him up and pulled him out !......There will be no more unknown soldiers.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
E4 in Nat. Guard. I enlisted right after the 1st draft lottery in '70 when I drew a very low number. I reached Spec4 in record time but there I sat for almost 5 more years. All the guard units were top heavy with guys returning from Nam and there were no slots to get promoted into. I went through NCO school and was near the top of the list for promotion but in 3 years no slots opened up that weren't immediately filled by guys who already had the rank. There were lots of sergeants pushing brooms waiting for slots to open.
It wasn't just here. That was the case all over the country.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 79S
SP/4, though they tried numerous times to send me off to BNOC. I didn't want to go, and didn't. 11C1P. Long time ago, but not that far away.

Basic NCO Course.

BNOC is what all the army types in my shop called it when I was there.

They were E4 and hated the Army - get picked up for Bnoc and E5 - came back as devout followers off all things green.
For me it was PLDC, BNOC1, BNOC2, ANOC1 and ANOC2 in that order just to get to E-7 Plus I threw in a Blackhawk school for 7 weeks July and August 2001. My basic and AIT was in 1973. I was out for 8 years and went back in in 1985.
kwg

Could be these guys were just using slang and calling it all BNOC? Don't know. I was Navy. You get a Petty Officer's Indoc class when you pick up e4 and then learn the rest OTJ it seems.

I recall it first being called "Sgt's School". It was 3 days long in 1975. I went back into the Guard in 1985 and we had a battalion school called BTMS that was 2 days long before we could go to PLDC. As I understand it BNOC was the first school you had to attend before you could go to ANOC. But, around 1980 the Army added PLDC before BNOC. Then they started adding phases to BNOC and ANOC after 1985.

PLDC = Platoon Leadership Development Course
BNOC = Basic NCO Course At least 2 phases depending on what your MOS was
ANOC = Advanced NCO Course. At least 2 phases depending on what your MOS was.

If you were Army Guard or Reserve each course was a jamb packed 2 weeks. If you were active duty it was 4 weeks. There was a PT test the first day you had to pass plus PT every day. At the end of 2 weeks everything hurt but you were in some good physical shape and your brain was full of "Army stuff".

I just wish I were young enough to go back through it.
kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 06/08/22.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen
Man, some of y'all made rank real quickly. A lot quicker than me. blush

During war time (Vietnam here) opportunities for advancement regularly arose because of the need to fill newly vacated positions. I made E-5 in just 13 months total service because I was next in line (and already trained) when the Fire Direction Chief completed his service. That position required an E-5.

Last edited by pal; 06/08/22.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S

Basic NCO Course.

You had PNCOC (Primary Non-Commissioned Officer's Course), which was changed to PLDC (Primary Leadership Development Course) in the '80s. Then you went on to BNCOC (Basic Non-Commissioned Officers Course). Then for E7^ was ANCOC (Advanced Non-Commissioned Officers Course). I was an instructor for all three. Army 11B4H back then. Got my "H" designation to push basic trainees and after that they "used" my Hotel designation to their favor.
Got out for a few years. Went back AF (they knocked my rank down a bit) for another 19 1/2 years until they kicked me out as a Flight Chief in aircraft maintenance in a fighter unit. Was "fired" the day before my 60th B-day as I had reached max age. Completed 34 years, 11 months, 17 days... but who was counting, lol.

Last edited by 280Rem1; 06/08/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E6, Staff Sergeant.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
CW5 1969-2011

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E 5 in 19 month's....then I got a case of the want to get out and stay in Ak...oh well all turned out fine...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When I was discharged, I was a staff Seargent in the US Army Reserve.

You good folks?
TM-3 (SS) in the Navy..

There’s a few us submariners here.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I dream, I'm still a (Buck) Sergeant on the flightline at RAF Alconbury working on F4Cs and sometimes F5Es. I can still hear the sounds and smell JP-4 from the exhaust, and feel the ever present light rain of East Anglia near Huntington, Cambridgeshire, England in the spring and summer.

That was the best job ever.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
SOCS, E-7, 25 years. It was a long stretch but I wouldn't change anything.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My FIL put in 30 years and retired as an AF Chief Master Sgt, E9. He was a civil engineer and spend many years overseas building air fields and the like. My wife lived in Spain, Puerto Rico, Japan, and numerous other places while growing up. The family stayed stateside during his 2 tours in Nam.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.