Morning Doves
Turkey Vultures
Storks
Blackbirds
Bluejays
Egyptian Geese
Parakeets
Bebe Parrot

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Few pigeon's, a crow, and a couple tweety birds

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
4,000 acre prairie restoration and bison project 15 minutes from the house. I walk the trails over there frequently and went a couple of hours ago.

Saw,

Barn Swallows
Eastern Kingbirds
Turkey Vultures
Wild Turkeys
and
Crows

The Merlin App on the phone detected a number of bird calls of stuff I didn't see.
Most notably the Yellow Billed Cuckoo, or Storm Crow.
I did hear the call, and it's one I've heard before. But I did not see the bird. I honestly don't recall ever hearing the term "Yellow Billed Cuckoo". I've heard of the storm crow, but figured it was a crow in a storm.

Last edited by johnw; 06/08/22.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Golden Eagle.......

waiting for some free fresh dead p/dogs

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who took the best bird pic today?

Not a camera guy yet, but making plans that way...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cardinals, titmouse, crows, red bellied WP, bluebird’s feeding babies in the box, roadrunner, robins and heard a yellow billed cuckoo.

Last edited by CRJ1960; 06/08/22.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great Crested Flycatchers are the only real notable bird for me. They’ve been nesting in my tulip tree. I think they’re out of the nest now and I was seeing the young following one of the adults today. Kestrel , crows , cardinals , thrashers , redheaded woodpecker , downy woodpecker , pileated woodpeckers , red tailed Hawk , and I think a Cooper’s hawk. There’s others that I’m forgetting. Sat outside in my sling chair after I replaced the sling in it. I needed a rest after wrestling with that PITA job ! The sling really didn’t want to slide into the track !

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Great Crested Flycatchers are the only real notable bird for me. They’ve been nesting in my tulip tree. I think they’re out of the nest now and I was seeing the young following one of the adults today. Kestrel , crows , cardinals , thrashers , redheaded woodpecker , downy woodpecker , pileated woodpeckers , red tailed Hawk , and I think a Cooper’s hawk. There’s others that I’m forgetting. Sat outside in my sling chair after I replaced the sling in it. I needed a rest after wrestling with that PITA job ! The sling really didn’t want to slide into the track !

This is another bird that, if I ever saw one, I never recognized it. The Merlin App has indicated them at my home and a couple of other places.
Seem like a guy oughtta at least know what birds are in his yard and neighborhood.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bunch of Scrub (blue) Jays in the back yard until a Sharp Shinned or young Coopers Hawk showed up. Talk about fast movers. He missed and that was it for birds in the back yard for the rest of the morning.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Spoonbills

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnw

This is another bird that, if I ever saw one, I never recognized it. The Merlin App has indicated them at my home and a couple of other places.
Seem like a guy oughtta at least know what birds are in his yard and neighborhood.

Look in the canopy for great crested flycatchers, a bit bigger than a Cardinal.

Severe drought here is affecting everything, local mockingbirds not breeding, breeding white-wing dove numbers way down, same with the great-tailed grackles.

My purple martins are gonna lose 4 out of five young this year, already had a number of “fallouts”, young martins too weak to fly.

On top of that I just saw an adult Cooper’s hawk , a male, had to be resident. First breeding Coop I’ve seen in my neighborhood in 35 years, tho I’ve been expecting them. They are death on purple martins.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw some old buzzards, one of which flipped me a bird, not sure what species though.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The annual robins and swallows nesting in boxes on the house. Bald eagles, dove, turkey, geese and those long neck birds I call loons. Kinda like my Dad called every one from the Middle East AAArabs. Loons...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't pay attention, but did see a dead sea roach in the street.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by johnw

The great crested flycatcher is a tough one to get a good look at. I was aware of some kind of bird with a nest for a week before I was able to get a clear view and look it up. They stay way up in the tree and don’t really perch out in the open. They perch inside the tree mostly.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looking out this Hospital window I see 4 orange breasted Jailbirds picking up trash along a boulevard.

They’re being watched by a large blue plumaged yardbird.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve downloaded the Merlin app and have been recording as I drink my coffee. So far I’ve got great crested flycatchers (seen) , Carolina wrens , black vultures (seen) , red shouldered hawk (seen) , Cardinal, tufted titmouse, crows (seen) , blue jays.
So far that’s what I’ve seen and or recorded this morning. There’s definitely four flycatchers spread around the yard so I’m assuming two young have made it out of the nest. They’re not using the tulip tree anymore so not tending the nest.

Last edited by Daveinjax; 06/09/22.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve added a red-bellied woodpecker (seen) and a cedar waxwing.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
As I approach the double nickel in age I’ve gone soft ! I’ve been watching a bushy tailed tree rat sit on my feeder’s head and throw $11 a bag corn out and haven’t felt the need to shoot it yet. Yet…

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Looking out this Hospital window I see 4 orange breasted Jailbirds picking up trash along a boulevard.

They’re being watched by a large blue plumaged yardbird.

That’s funny. Good use of those orange birds time.

NRA Patron
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 55 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.