Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Enjoyed his article that showed up in my email today from Wolfe publishing. Was that an older article that got recycled or is Ross back?

We deal in lead, friend.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I learned to use magnum primers in my Hornet from his original article many years ago. Not sure what you were sent.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
I learned to use magnum primers in my Hornet from his original article many years ago. Not sure what you were sent.

He explained the difficulties one will find in reloading for the 22 Hornet & he definitely mentioned experimenting with different primers.

Article title

.22 Hornet
Top Loads for the Littlest .22 Centerfire
By: Ross Seyfried | June, 22

We deal in lead, friend.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is an excellent article. I still have that magazine. And the one he published on the .17 Remington.

In my opinion, he was about the greatest gunwriter this country has ever seen. Somehow he found time to become an IPSC World Champion and an African guide along the way.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

With LilGun, sure. With H110, 2400, and 4227, standard SP. Always am amazed when another Hornet article shows up and they ignore the proven practices of the past and try to make one primer do it all. Tiny case, tiny charge of easy-to-light powder- tiny primer.

The Seyfried articles on the Hornet got me off to the right start, JB finished the job by figgering out the best magnum primer for Lil Gun, the CCI 450.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by EdM

With LilGun, sure. With H110, 2400, and 4227, standard SP. Always am amazed when another Hornet article shows up and they ignore the proven practices of the past and try to make one primer do it all. Tiny case, tiny charge of easy-to-light powder- tiny primer.

The Seyfried articles on the Hornet got me off to the right start, JB finished the job by figgering out the best magnum primer for Lil Gun, the CCI 450.

I am lost on why one would not use LilGun in the Hornet. JB was late...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JD45
That is an excellent article. I still have that magazine. And the one he published on the .17 Remington.

In my opinion, he was about the greatest gunwriter this country has ever seen. Somehow he found time to become an IPSC World Champion and an African guide along the way.
He truly is a master of all disciplines. Yes he's easily the best this country has produced, even more so than my great uncle Elmer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

He truly is a master of all disciplines. Yes he's easily the best this country has produced, even more so than my great uncle Elmer.

If you mean Elmer Keith, Ross isn’t a pimple on Elmer’s butt…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lil Gun is great, but H110 shades it a bit for accuracy in my rifle with 40gr VMaxes, and other powders have their place too, in mid-range loads for example, or rimfire-equivalent.

Then there’s that old problem of availability. Was down to my last jug of LG until recently. H110 has been easier to find. The primers one has on hand might dictate powder choice too in this age of dearth.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That might be going a bit far, but he certainly has been entertaining and helpful.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 41rem
Enjoyed his article that showed up in my email today from Wolfe publishing. Was that an older article that got recycled or is Ross back?

Ross is not back with Wolfe. It's a reprint of his original .22 Hornet article--which first appeared around 20 years ago.

The only magazine that I know of which Ross writes for anymore is THE DOUBLE GUN AND SINGLE-SHOT JOURNAL.

Might also mention that Li'l Gun is not the only good modern powder for the Hornet. Alliant Power Pro 300-MP also works well in the same slot, though it's slightly slower burning than LG. CFEBLK is slightly slower then 300-MP, but works well in the K-Hornet and 17 Hornet. But those powders (and Hornady's .17 Hornet) came along after Ross published his initial Hornet article. Would strongly suspect he's used them since...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read about folks having trouble with the 22H reloading. I can't say that I've loaded a bunch but did keep a Sav 23 and a 219 killing stuff and never found it to be overly hard to load for. 2400, 4227 and Lilgun(after the turn of the millennium) and surprisingly the 46gr Win HP shot tiny groups. I'd buy that bullet a "K" at a time. I kept a little Lyman turret press just set up for the "Bugs" (Hornet and Bee). I used the 218 Bee FL die as a neck sizer for the Hornet.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a bag of those Winchester bullets and one of the very similar Remingtons, about $6.99 a hundred IIRC, probably off the Grafs’s clearance paper they used to mail out. That’s where I also found $7.99 Nosler 150gr .308 Partition Golds (50). Still have the .22s as I found VMaxes about the same time.

I do like the Speer 46gr FPs for light loads, but have yet to stick anything with one.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
myself i just use my 22 K-Hornets for critter kill`n , when i reload i just use the Hornady reloading book 11 grs. H110 , 35 gr. V-Max , standard small primers ,now mostly used cases that have been fired to form a K-Hornet case then with my Redding full length die resized. i only have 1x6 tactical Burris scope on a Ruger rifle with a reworked 3lb.trigger . rifle will shoot a inch at 100 yds. when i shoot it on a bench but my son with 30 year old eyes does better . most of my critter kill`n is 40-60 yds. and that rifle is very accurate and would hit a dime then at 50 yds. because i have it dead on at 50 yds. now days i never shoot more than 100 rounds 22 K-Hornet ammo but 90 % of those 100 rds. kills critters dead ! the K-Hornet is a very neat little cartridge that really does alot with 11 grs. of powder , the K-Hornet humbles me for how well it kills critters with no recoil and so cheap to shoot ! i was planning a trip for out west to shoot prairie dogs but now with the high gas prices my K-Hornets and other rifles, son and i won`t be going dang it !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Did Elmer ever write anything besides white man need bigger bullet to kill coyotes? 270 not big enough bullet to small. No less than 500 grains will do. Big fat heavy bullet mo better!! Aaaarrgghhh..

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 06/10/22.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Elmer forgot more than most will ever know.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

A dwarf standing on the shoulders of giants. Entertaining none the less.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

Did Elmer ever write anything besides white man need bigger bullet to kill coyotes? 270 not big enough bullet to small. No less than 500 grains will do. Big fat heavy bullet mo better!! Aaaarrgghhh..

As the villagers light torches and grab pitchforks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

As the villagers light torches and grab pitchforks.
Ha I was just giving Shrap a hard time.
Elmer’s good I always liked 44 Mag.
All joking aside I don’t think I’ve ever read any of Elmer’s stuff or very little.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 06/10/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There was a time in our world before the internet, computers, even TV when bullets weren't as reliable as they are today. Back when the 243 was introduced bullet reliably was so so. I had some 100gr bullets pencil through and 80's not penetrate and gave up on shooting little bullets at deer. Big heavies were ALWAYS reliable, 180gr RN's in the 300 Sav and 308 and 220's in the 06, I never had a failure. The smallest cartridge I'd deer hunt with was one of the .25's with 100gr Partitions or 117 RN's but those .257 bullets had 50+ years of development over the .243/6mm's in this country.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,968
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.