-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The resident big game in NV was brutal on the entire family. Nobody drew a tag of any kind.

This being about my last year hunting, I was wondering whether anyone knows of OTC tags no too darned far from NV?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's non-res deer and elk are sold out. You have to get them in December.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone here know the condition of the California D3-5 Zones? Did they burn up?

Last edited by luv2safari; 06/07/22.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man I would hate to have to apply for tags in the state I lived in and have non resident hunters get tags.

I know a lot of western states are like that but it would chap my ass to not get drawn while non residents are able to apply and get the go ahead.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Man I would hate to have to apply for tags in the state I lived in and have non resident hunters get tags.

I know a lot of western states are like that but it would chap my ass to not get drawn while non residents are able to apply and get the go ahead.

Let the rest pay nonz-res prices and apply?
Seems fair, bet they'd bitch about that too!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never said non resident prices.

Residents should get first dibs.

Certain amount of tags for whatever species, have a drawing for all residents that apply. Not everyone will be drawn I am sure.

If nothing left then no non resident tags for that species.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/07/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Certain amount of tags for whatever species, have a drawing for all residents that apply. Not everyone will be drawn I am sure.

Non residents don't have a lot of impact here in reality. They are allotted some tags, and rightly so, since this is mostly public land. Still, Nevada hunters foot the bill for the wildlife.

What chaps my azz is the system here where guides and only non residents get guided hunt tags. Residents are closed out.

Also, kids 12 through 17 have a special season with good draw odds, where senior hunters who have paid license and tag fees, and paid state taxes for many years, 56 years in my case, have no advantages. We'll not be able to hunt soon enough and aren't youthful killing machines that have the same degree of impact on the game. A short senior season would allow us to get out again.

The impact of the damned migrations of new residents from schidt states flooding in has shut the older residents door to big game hunting.

I was fortunate to grow up here and hunt here when we had far more game, far fewer mega-mines tearing things up, far fewer residents (less than 1/10th of what's here now), and no 25+ year drought.

At least I can gripe and biatch as well as when I was young.
grin

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Non residents don't have a lot of impact here in reality. They are allotted some tags, and rightly so, since this is mostly public land. Still, Nevada hunters foot the bill for the wildlife.

What chaps my azz is the system here where guides and only non residents get guided hunt tags. Residents are closed out.

Also, kids 12 through 17 have a special season with good draw odds, where senior hunters who have paid license and tag fees, and paid state taxes for many years, 56 years in my case, have no advantages. We'll not be able to hunt soon enough and aren't youthful killing machines that have the same degree of impact on the game. A short senior season would allow us to get out again.

The impact of the damned migrations of new residents from schidt states flooding in has shut the older residents door to big game hunting.

I was fortunate to grow up here and hunt here when we had far more game, far fewer mega-mines tearing things up, far fewer residents (less than 1/10th of what's here now), and no 25+ year drought.

At least I can gripe and biatch as well as when I was young.
grin

I love Nevada it’s a beautiful state, but this is the main reason I don’t relocate. It’s a shame a resident doesn’t have a guaranteed hunting opportunity every year.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love Nevada it’s a beautiful state, but this is the main reason I don’t relocate. It’s a shame a resident doesn’t have a guaranteed hunting opportunity every year.
About 10 years ago, I bought a pile of really good llama pack saddles and gear from a guy in NV. He was an avid hunter but he said he hadn't drawn a tag of any kind in 6 or 8 years. He gave up, sold his pack llamas and gear, and started hunting out of state with outfitters. He said it was his only option.

Idaho draw hunts have a limit of 10% of the tags going to non-res. They start drawing and as soon as non-res winners reach 10% of the tags for that hunt, no more will be drawn. Some moose, sheep, and goat hunts only have 1 tag. It's theoretically possible for it to go to a non-res hunter so no residents can draw in that hunt.
For OTC hunts, they have a non-res quota. They put them on sale in December and they're usually sold out by Christmas.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Management mule deer hunts in TX if you only want to spend a small fortune.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Too far

Too expensive for TX antlered jackrabbits

I do appreciate the reply. wink

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
No tags for me for several years….I was born here and just turned 60.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
It’s a bad deal when a resident can’t get any kind of tag annually to hunt big game.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Why is it your last year hunting?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

As far as I know Washington state sells OTC deer tags to non-residents. At least that's what was going on not long ago, and I can't find any contradiction on their website. Which isn't too far from where you live--especially the western part of WA where there's more public land.

Have though about doing a mule deer hunt there for a while, but Washington residents might know more about the present situation.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep otc blacktail, muley, whitetail, Roosevelt and Rocky elk tags. Give er a whirl

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m not aware of any WA tags not available to residents and NR on an equal basis. All general season licenses are OTC. There are special permit hunts that are draw only that are outside general season dates or in areas not covered with a general license.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,506
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.