Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I think its troublesome that some of you seem to agree with the age being 18 or older to purchase or own a firearm.

Because why?

I think SCOTUS should, when they deliver the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen ruling, include language to the effect the "the age to buy any firearm in any state will be the same age as that state requires to vote; and the ID requirements to purchase a firearm will be the same as that state requires to vote."

Which will, of course, cause the Democrat-run states and cities to revolt.

'Cause rights should not exist with differing standards between the rights.

At least according to me.
While I appreciate the sentiment, the problem is that is legislating from the bench; something courts have no business nor authority doing.

Dale

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Is there a statistic out for how many 16 year old girls commit mass murder on a regular basis?

Yeah, I'm betting that's a flatliner without a bubble to be seen anywhere, now matter what timeline you dream up.

Google Brenda Spencer "I don't like Monday's".

Not trying to be a jerk...just bringing this forgotten crime up.

I immediately thought of her too. But that’s it. And the fact that it happened something like 40 years ago, and is the singular incident that is remembered, does seem to make it the exception that proves the rule….

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think when you're 18, your state should issue you a firearm.....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DHN
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I think its troublesome that some of you seem to agree with the age being 18 or older to purchase or own a firearm.

Because why?

I think SCOTUS should, when they deliver the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen ruling, include language to the effect the "the age to buy any firearm in any state will be the same age as that state requires to vote; and the ID requirements to purchase a firearm will be the same as that state requires to vote."

Which will, of course, cause the Democrat-run states and cities to revolt.

'Cause rights should not exist with differing standards between the rights.

At least according to me.
While I appreciate the sentiment, the problem is that is legislating from the bench; something courts have no business nor authority doing.

The Supreme Court of the United States reaffirming our Constitutional rights and preventing them from being illegally restricted is most definitely NOT “legislating from the bench”, it’s ultimately the BIGGEST and most IMPORTANT issue that the courts are charged with upholding….our Constitutional rights!

Lower courts….lesser courts that are typically comprised of politically biased ass kissers appointed to federal judgeships and circuit courts by politically motivated presidents in an attempt to politicize the judiciary is where judicial activism is typically displayed. The SCOTUS is <usually> above that…..but in this clown world that we live in I take back everything I just said and I agree with you. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Aces, I think you misunderstood me. I am not against language upholding our rights. OP stated POTUS should declare an age to purchase a firearm. That is contrary to 2A and definitely IS legislating, as is mandating ID requirements. According to the Constitution voting regulations are up to the states.

Dale

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Epishemore
The age should be 17 to buy or own any firearm.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246#:~:text=The%20militia%20of%20the%20United%20States%20consists%20of,States%20who%20are%20members%20of%20the%20National%20Guard.

Alas, the challenge of your cite of title 10 would be fine except that as of age 45 you would no longer be part of the militia. Not sure that's goin to work for me. grin Although, as a member of the Inactive Naval Reserve ready reserve for another year and half before I transfer to the retired rolls, I suspect I fall under class #1

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 14, § 311; Pub. L. 85–861, § 1(7), Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1439; Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title V, § 524(a), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1656; renumbered § 246, Pub. L. 114–328, div. A, title XII, § 1241(a)(2), Dec. 23, 2016, 130 Stat. 2[/i]497[/i].)
[/i]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
MOST life-long bad habits, stupid decisions and "counter-success life styles" are started by young men and women between the ages of 17 and 24.
Easy answer?
Legal age of full adulthood should be reset from 18 to 22 or maybe even 24. At full adulthood, after supporting yourself for 4-6 years you'd get to join the military, vote, drink alcohol (if you are so inclined) Smoke (if you are so inclined) and so on.

Will that cure the problem completely? NO! But it would cure about 90% of it.

The culture focuses on kids because they have not yet seen the truth themselves and been responsible for their own actions. The Dem/Comms know how to get their way by brainwashing's kids. From TV commercials to music to out-right lies taught in schools by communists atavists (we call those creatures "teachers"). But if freedom to shape your own life was given at 24 but criminal accountability was demanded at 12, we'd see a huge turnaround in the nation.
Today 12 year old criminals are protected from the consequences of crime, and adults are forced to pay taxes to support retirement homes for the criminals (called prisons, where they are simply taught to be more successful criminals )

And all of this is a result of a lack of involvement of the common citizen in their own government We the People are the 1st 3 words of the highest law of the land, and yet not one in 1000 citizens have ever takes 2 days of a 75 year long life to read it and study it and find out what it says and why it says it. 100% of all government runs on tax money. The 2 REASONS the USA was even brought into existence was because of unfair taxation and a move to cease the arms at Concord (tax revolt and gun-control)

Franklin warned us all. When asked what kind of government was drafted at the signing of the Constitution he said "A republic----------------if you can keep it".
Plato also warned future generation a lot longer ago then that.
He told us 'People who refuse to be involved in their government are ALWAYS punished by being ruled by their inferiors"

Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. But the fist thing we see from a study of history is that people don't learn from history. We see posts from several of them on this forum from time to time.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Go back and read my post again. I didn’t advocate for a specific age. I advocated for the court to mandate that all rights have a similar age of majority, or starting age.

If a state has voting at 16, then firearms at 16. If a state has no ID voting, then no ID firearm purchases.

That’s what I said.

Originally Posted by DHN
Aces, I think you misunderstood me. I am not against language upholding our rights. OP stated POTUS should declare an age to purchase a firearm. That is contrary to 2A and definitely IS legislating, as is mandating ID requirements. According to the Constitution voting regulations are up to the states.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Epishemore
The age should be 17 to buy or own any firearm.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246#:~:text=The%20militia%20of%20the%20United%20States%20consists%20of,States%20who%20are%20members%20of%20the%20National%20Guard.

Alas, the challenge of your cite of title 10 would be fine except that as of age 45 you would no longer be part of the militia. Not sure that's goin to work for me. grin Although, as a member of the Inactive Naval Reserve ready reserve for another year and half before I transfer to the retired rolls, I suspect I fall under class #1

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 14, § 311; Pub. L. 85–861, § 1(7), Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1439; Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title V, § 524(a), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1656; renumbered § 246, Pub. L. 114–328, div. A, title XII, § 1241(a)(2), Dec. 23, 2016, 130 Stat. 2[/i]497[/i].)
[/i]
Didn't Heller clear that up?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One problem I have is denying rights for DV Misdemeanors. Not that I think DVers should not lose their rights, but that felonies are what the level should be. If the case is bad enough to lose rights it should be a felony.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
One problem I have is denying rights for DV Misdemeanors. Not that I think DVers should not lose their rights, but that felonies are what the level should be. If the case is bad enough to lose rights it should be a felony.
What's a "DVer"?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
What's a "DVer"?

I'm assuming "domestic violence".

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yeah I don't think the age needs to be raised for semi-auto. I had a few semi-autos in my room as a teenager (with my parent's knowledge) and I didn't shoot up anything. Issued an M-16A1 before I was 18. I could also drink at 18 back then.

What is the difference now? Violence being glorified by Hollyweird for one.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Originally Posted by ingwe
But they want you to vote for their communist asses when you are 18....

Raise that too

35 is a nice age for voting - sme as running for congress?. A little real world experience is helpful.

Those living in their mom's basement need not apply to either..

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It’s in the Constitution, if you take time to read it.

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S2_C2_1/

Article I, Section 2, Clause 2:

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

According to Article II of the U.S. Constitution, the president must be a natural-born citizen of the United States, be at least 35 years old, and have been a resident of the United States for 14 years.

Last edited by David_Walter; 06/11/22. Reason: Link added

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Constitution does spell out several age requirements in its wording.

A citizen must be 18 years of age or older to vote.

Members of the House must be 25 years of age or older and have been a citizen for at least 7 years.

Members of the Senate must be 35 years of age or older and have been a citizen for at least 9 years.

Presidential candidates must be a natural born a citizen of the United States, a resident for at least 14 years, and 35 years of age or older.

Why would the framers include age requirements in the Constitution if "age doesn't matter"? Age requirements are included because it does matter in terms of the quality of having had experience, knowledge, and good judgment. That’s something that comes with time which younger individuals haven’t acquired yet.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Squidge

Members of the House must be 25 years of age or older and have been a citizen for at least 7 years.

Members of the Senate must be 35 years of age or older and have been a citizen for at least 9 years.

Presidential candidates must be a natural born a citizen of the United States, a resident for at least 14 years, and 35 years of age or older.

Why would the framers include age requirements in the Constitution if "age doesn't matter"? Age requirements are included because it does matter in terms of the quality of having had experience, knowledge, and good judgment. That’s something that comes with time which younger individuals haven’t acquired yet.

The age to vote was an amendment voted on in the 50's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

True, it used to be 21. The 26th Amendment was ratified in July of 1971.

Last edited by Squidge; 06/11/22.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

True, it used to be 21. The 26th Amendment was ratified in July of 1971.

Curiosity has me intrigued. Where did it state that voting was to be at the age of 21 in the constitution?

I may have overlooked it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If the fact that the 2A stands as a bulwark against a despotic government and the militia is the functional arm of the 2A then it stands to reason that anyone of the minimum age for the militia or military is of age to own and practice with the same weapons they’d be taking into battle with them. If our government is willing to sacrifice our 18 year old treasures in their overseas conflicts then those same 18 year olds should have the right to defend themselves against that same government.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.