Print Thread
Hop To
L
Luis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Ok, I'm about to pull the trigger and spend some money in good quality rangefinder Binos. My budget is 2500 and I might squeeze 3000. Right now I'm looking at Leica 3200 or the pro. I like the seize and weight of the pro, but the small objective lense is kind a turn off to me. So my question to those of you that have handle the 3200 and the pro is.
1. Is is really that much difference? I'm talking during first and last hours of the day.

2. I heard that the brightness in the Pro is marginal. Any input about this?

I know the Swarovski Els are in same price range but I will like to have the ballistic calculation.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Code Pink sucks

SUPPORT THE TROOPS
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't know about the Leica, but the Swaro's are the cat's ass. Got a set last year and was very impressed...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have both, Swarovski and the new Leica 8X32 Geovid Pro. Both have way more technical applications than I care about. It is my understanding that Swarovski has ballistic data and it will also mark a point on a map that is compatible to your iPhone and will show you the exact point with your mapping feature on your iPhone. I want a good rangefinder that has great optics. They both do that, but I was really wanting a smaller rangefinder, so I got the Geovid Pro.

I had the full sized Geovid HD-B for a while, but went back to the Swarovski EL, then I got the newest Swarovski rangefinder with Swarovision, they are superb.

I don’t notice any lack of low light transmission with the Geovid Pro, but haven’t really put that to the test. I also have a pair of the Swarovski 8X32 NL Pure binoculars, and regardless of which rangefinder I keep, the NL Pure will stay.

The Swarovski EL rangefinder is the latest with Swarovision, and are not disappointing, just larger than I want to use when archery hunting. That is why I got the Leica Pro. So far the Leica is not such a great choice, and I am still trying to decide if the size matters between the 2 rangefinders.

The objective lens covers are the same pathetic covers Leica has been using for years and I have already lost one. The Geovid Pro is smaller, but not as nice in the hands as the NL Pure, but smaller than the EL.

The real killer is that the Leica has a 2+ second warm up before it will range, and I am not a fan of that. It really sucks. I called Hamilton from Leica’s customer service department and he told me that there is no faster way to make the rangefinder work. I suppose you can push the button as soon as you grab the binocular to get the warm up started, but that seems to be a poor characteristic on a precision instrument like this at this time in optic development.

If size doesn’t matter, the EL’s win hands down. It seems that every time Leica comes out with a new product, I spend the money and get it. But I still end up going back to Swarovski and find they still make the best products for how I use them.

I am guessing the Leica’s may be for sale soon if you are interested…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the best range finder binoculars are Swarovski EL rangefinder as Shrapnel has pointed out but these are very expensive $3500.00 +. i guess for myself i will just keep shooting a fast long range rifle and use my old 1400 yd. Nikons . i will wait for a close out or death ? good luck

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Luis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
ALL,

Thanks for the input, The Swarovski TA, has the Tacking and Ballistic as your point out. But, is a little more that I can afford right now. I have look at both the Leica 3200 and the EL /TA at the local Cabelas. You are right The Swarovski has better glass. I'm starting to lean towards the EL'S, Maybe I hold off a little long and get the EL/TA

Thanks

Code Pink sucks

SUPPORT THE TROOPS
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Luis,

Just a few weeks back I received a brand new pair of 3200.com; 10x42's. I have a new pair of 10X32 Pro's coming soon; expected them in April/May. If your patient, i'll provide the 3200's to you at a super price.

Ala

Last edited by GSSP; 06/17/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I got the Swaros in December and have been pretty impressed. They are slightly on the heavy side but glass is first class and I like the ballistic calc app. I debated between them and the Leica and am pleased with my choice.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Luis,

I have/had the Swarovski EL 10x42, Swarovski EL TA 10x42, Leica 3200.com 10x42 and Leica 8x32 Geovid Pro. Here's my take, for what it's worth:

Swarovski EL 10x42 - My "go to" hunting binocular for years. Works great in the field. It went belly-up on a Utah elk hunt a while back. Swarovski fixed it right away.

Swarovski EL TA - Great glass, much better than the EL, at least to my eyes. The integrated ballistic calculator is what I would call a "first order approximation". Meaning it will agree with a Kestrel 5700 AB curves as long as it is calibrated (that is the BC value adjusted on the phone app) to match (+/- an acceptable epsilon). I believe the EL TA measures ambient atmospherics and adjusts the ballistic solution, which is super nice. The diopter/display focus rings lock, very nice feature. The display is very readable.

Leica 3200.com - these integrate with the Kestrel 5700 via bluetooth. Upgrades to the both the Kestrel and Leica firmware have improved the bluetooth communication. However the U/I is exceedingly terrible, and I'm being kind. Diopter/display focus rings do not lock but are stiff enough not to be an issue in the field. Glass is good, but not as good as the Swarovski EL TA. The Kestrel/3200 pair is too cumbersome to use in the field, at least it is for me. The on board AB ballistic calculator works great and is accurate. Compensates for atmospherics. If you have the patience to muddle through the programming the 3200.com does work well in the field. They would be a nice gift for someone in your doghouse.

Leica Geovid Pro - Supposed to the next generation 3200.com with a usable U/I. The new app is very well presented. However the rangefinder display was too dim to be useful in the field. Sent mine back to EuroOptic. The app much much better than the the app on the 3200.

In the future I'll be using the Swarovski EL TA. I'm done with Leica, although I'll probably get sucked in again if they fix the problems with the Pro.

Hope this helps.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 924 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.