Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I was looking for a stock for my Featherweight, several outfits had stocks for M70's but not for the thinner contour of the Featherweight. McMillan had one and was told it weighed ~ 24 oz. I decided to weigh the factory stock and much to my surprise it weighs just under 26 oz (with pad)- not too shabby smile

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

I believe this is at least part of the reason

Yep, someone probably hogged that out on their own. Winchester used to do that with their pre 64 fwt stocks. Drilled 2 7/8" diameter holes in the butt of the stocks to lighten them up. I've seen some pre 64 fwt stocks that have been pretty lightweight. Keeping in mind that they did advertise them to weigh in around 6.5 pounds.. I'd just run with the wood stock on your fwt, unless you don't want to mess it up. Then there are many options out there, but nothing is going to be substantially lighter than what you already have. Well, 4 to 6 oz's, but that is just 1/4 pound. I'd buy a synthetic stock to preserve the wood stock more so that buying something looking to significantly reduce the weight of that rifle. The factory winlite stock would look and work great on your rifle. As would the hunter's edge/compact edge.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I was looking for a stock for my Featherweight, several outfits had stocks for M70's but not for the thinner contour of the Featherweight. McMillan had one and was told it weighed ~ 24 oz. I decided to weigh the factory stock and much to my surprise it weighs just under 26 oz (with pad)- not too shabby smile

I believe this is at least part of the reason

Yep, someone probably hogged that out on their own. Winchester used to do that with their pre 64 fwt stocks. Drilled 2 7/8" diameter holes in the butt of the stocks to lighten them up. I've seen some pre 64 fwt stocks that have been pretty lightweight. Keeping in mind that they did advertise them to weigh in around 6.5 pounds.. I'd just run with the wood stock on your fwt, unless you don't want to mess it up. Then there are many options out there, but nothing is going to be substantially lighter than what you already have. Well, 4 to 6 oz's, but that is just 1/4 pound. I'd buy a synthetic stock to preserve the wood stock more so that buying something looking to significantly reduce the weight of that rifle. The factory winlite stock would look and work great on your rifle. As would the hunter's edge/compact edge.
My short action Featherweight stock weighs 32.5 oz, its good to know that I can get about 6 oz off that weight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I inherited it from late father-in-law, he must have got inspired to shave a little weight out of it laugh

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Stocky's Carbon Fiber blem for the Howa Mini Action:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Howa Mini Action .223 with above stock and Oregunsmithing bottom metal:

Last edited by kandpand; 06/12/22.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Any lightweights for a Savage 10?? McM Edge is not a lightweight after they get done reinforcing it for the Savage. I can't seem to find anything current from Brown.

Is it a Trophy hunter?

NO

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Supercub;
Good morning to you my friend, I hope the week was good to you overall and despite what we're dealing with politically up here and that you and yours are well.

With the understanding I'm going off of memory here and not getting off my chair to grab a new Decelerator off the wall of the shop, when I was going down the rabbit hole with both feet I weighed everything on a kitchen scale and it was educational.

As an interesting and somewhat ironic twist, when I did an online search at what a Decelerator weighs, I found the 24Campfire and some fruitcake called BC30cal spouted this nonsense...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/3560463/How_heavy_is_a_Pachmayr_Decele

While I'm not sure if they still have this stuff, years back I picked up a few 1" thick chunks of the stuff which Corlane uses for their mountain rifle builds. Those blanks are a whisker over 1oz and while they're not as soft as a Decelerator they're not too bad either.

Just a thought if you or anyone out there wants to lose 4oz on the recoil pad.

All the best and God Bless.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne ...... Thanks for that link. Good info there. We are all well here and have much to be thankful for. The big picture has nothing to do with the current gov't and it's policies. Keeping our focus is something I need to be reminded of all the time.

That stock of mine is nowhere as light as some in this thread but I've come to the conclusion that I really do not like uber light (or short) rifles. I find the 7 to 7.5 lbs is as light as I like and shoot well.

IIRC ..... Corlanes used to sell Decelerators that did not have the metal insert in them. I bought a couple a few yrs ago and think I still have one down there. With that stock extension and the pad, it's no lightweight, but not extra heavy either. That stock may become part of a 300H&H in the future if I can locate a 700 Long/Magnum action.

Paul

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kandpand
Stocky's Carbon Fiber blem for the Howa Mini Action:

Howa Mini Action .223 with above stock and Oregunsmithing bottom metal:

How does the Howa mini carbon in .223 balance?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The balance is toward the muzzle but it feels great to me.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Like button.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any lightweights for a Savage 10?? McM Edge is not a lightweight after they get done reinforcing it for the Savage. I can't seem to find anything current from Brown.

The lightweight MPI mountain rifle stock I referred to at the beginning of this thread is on a Savage 10 with 4.4" screw spacing.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Is it a Trophy hunter?

NO
Just asking. The trophy hunter stock is pretty dang light as is. Just wondering why some guys think losing 5 ozs is really worth the exorbitant expense? Your rifle is not going to shoot any better, you're not getting much better aesthetics or ergos, you are going to take it in the azz on resale. Its also a Savage.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

That's better than I thought it might be

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

That's better than I thought it might be

Add a scope to that rifle and it should balance further rearward.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Is it a Trophy hunter?

NO
Just asking. The trophy hunter stock is pretty dang light as is. Just wondering why some guys think losing 5 ozs is really worth the exorbitant expense? Your rifle is not going to shoot any better, you're not getting much better aesthetics or ergos, you are going to take it in the azz on resale. Its also a Savage.

HA! I hear that. I kinda went through it with my 2nd Mashburn. I didn't mind my weights as I was assembling pieces for the build and it ended up heavier than I wanted. It shot amazing and was about 8 1/4 pounds with a 6x36 Leupold on it, but I was a at 9lbs or a touch more with the glass I really wanted to use... Well, I sent it back in, had the barrel trimmed a bit, had alloy BM put on it and swapped the stock to a Compact Hunters EDGE.. I think I might have lost 10-12 ounces, but whhhheeeewwwww boy, I paid dearly, but I got my rifle back to 8lbs and a couple ounces with the scope I really wanted to use..

It's all perspective, since I have forgotten at this point what it cost me, but now it feels much more like the 7mm Mashburn I originally set out for.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Is it a Trophy hunter?

NO

The factory stock is very flexible in the forend

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (35, 06hunter59, 160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 54 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,134
Posts18,523,194
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.