Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
The deputy came out and handed me the report. And I told him I was going to cut out the back straps, and then be on my way. The deputy said "Well, I am leaving. Don't let the Game Warden see you cutting up that deer." He was saying it was illegal to cut up road kill in Texas. I drove off, came back by two days later, the buzzards were eating those back straps.

Legal to take road kill in Colorado. Must be reported though.The two that got me were claimed while I was assessing damage.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Deer guards should be standard equipment on pickups.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry Skeen, glad you're ok.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Glad you and dog are OK, that sucks. I hope you have good luck getting it fixed quickly, around Memphis TN there have been news stories of body shops not accepting any new business until Sept/Oct. due to backlog, difficulty getting parts and lack of people to do the work

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have never hit a Whitetail, but have had 5 hit me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
So sorry that you tagged the deer. My first thought was I hope the current supply chain chit doesn't delay you getting your truck fixed back up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hit heaps of kangaroos here. Mostly with the bullbar but come close on motorcycles.

Had three do real damage, one hit at front headlight on Toyota Prado at 60mph with a fancy factory alloy bullbar. $16,000 damages, couldn’t open drivers door (right hand drive). Alloy bullbar not worth zip.

Other two lots damage they hit either side, one I had a couple hit while I was doing about 30.. one roo left an impression in the dust on the side of the vehicle, with the tail clearly hitting the rear light and curving round to put a dent in the tailgate, didn’t make sense to me. Bloody roo’s.

Came close to hitting a mob of giraffe, with a few zebra in it, in Tanzania. Doing 50mph when they just appeared out of the Bush. Buggered if I know how something nearly 20ft tall can just appear. Stood on the brake and they all went around me. We sat in stunned silence and then looked from where they came, nothing chasing them, they just ran across the road and stopped. Apparently they like to play last across the road like chickens do.

Driving up to the monument in Astoria late 2018 and a buck comes walking down the hill at me, passed right by us. My wife’s going Elk, elk🤣. Blacktail? Nice looking rack. We saw Elk later close to the coast, great to see. Had to keep an eye out at night near the coast coming aback from Oysterville, WA to Portland as there were lots of deer and I dint want to wear one in the rental car.

Last edited by rockdoc; 06/12/22.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you see a deer at night, forget flashing your lights they will ignore that.
Honk your horn. Intermittant blasts from the horn will make the deer swerve away from the road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you and Rocky are OK.
I've hit a few myself. My wife almost singlehandedly keeps one of the local body shops in business.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
If you see a deer at night, forget flashing your lights they will ignore that.
Honk your horn. Intermittant blasts from the horn will make the deer swerve away from the road.

Or cause the ones in the bar ditch to dart out into the roadway.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The wife had a Honda van that I swore was a deer magnet, she had deer run into the side of it on two occasions. One was a doe and the other a buck, doe did no damage and the buck's antlers left a crease down the side of the sliding door.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Headed home from the hospital in Wenatchee years ago was always an obstacle course especially during the winter when the Mulie migration was running. There were literally some nights that I sat watching and drinking my beer while they crossed the road for 10 or 15 minutes. One night about midnight or after (I worked swings) I was doing about 60mph headed up the Columbia River to our house up lake Chelan when a group of does appeared out of nowhere but blocking the road. I was driving our Toyota Celica convertible and immediately hit the brakes, downshifted and goosed it right between 2 deer. It was almost perfect except at the last minute I bumped into the ass end of a doe. Bumping her ass caused her to spin and she bumped her head into the rear quarter panel putting a small dent in the car. She was unhurt, a little dazed but otherwise she was fine. I couldn’t believe how lucky I got because that small convertible would’ve been demolished and I would’ve likely sustained some injuries if I hadn’t been able to thread the car through the needle.

Another post midnight drive home from the hospital occurred during a very heavy snow. I was driving my Blazer that night when a coyote came running up from the river side of the road and right in front of me. Because of the snow and road conditions I was lucky that I did not react intuitively and hit the brakes because it would’ve caused me to slide and possibly lose control. Instead I kept my speed steady and then I heard and felt the thump-thump of my front and rear tires running over Wiley. I hate hitting any critters with my cars or trucks and I always try to safely avoid doing so but sometimes there’s just no time or safe option so you just gotta take it on the chin.

I’m glad that you and your pup are good and that your truck will be fine. Are you guys allowed to salvage the meat?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
DAMN Skeen!

It is amazing the amount of damage a deer can do isn't it.

I was driving one evening during a bad dust storm in BFI (Bum Fugg Iraq) and all the sudden was playing dodge the camel. Thought for sure we were goners on that one. Stupid giant things were all over the road. kept think that elk were big but holy crap a camel is a something else. I didn't even have time to say anything about the first couple ones to warn the guys behind me. It just all happened too fast. How nobody got killed or seriously injured that day is beyond me.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by skeen
Heading out early to take Rocky for a run and swim, and we hit a deer. Only thing hurt is my pride.

He came out of a ditch before you knew it and we collided. Luckily, I guess, I was only going about 40MPH. He, more or less, hit me. blush

There's one less buck to hunt this fall. frown

That's not a number come up, that's an insurance claim. You didn't die, all is good.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
So far, I've "collected" a steer, a deer, and a horse.
Hadn't even gotten the truck repaired after the steer - when I hit the deer!
We've started using full Ranch-hand bumpers, since an antelope went under my brother's pickup, taking out the plastic spoiler.
That piece of plastic was more expensive than a full bumper set-up!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
time for a cow-catcher bumper.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Yes, Sir, Huntsman, I sure wish I'd had that this morning. laugh

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Damn skeen. Glad you and the pooch are okay. Hope the buck went in the back of the truck.

Brother dirt, it did not.

Several ol' boys stopped to check on us, see if we needed help, and whether or not I was gonna take the deer.

I told 'em have at it, I'd done tenderized that young buck all up for 'em. grin

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
DAMN Skeen!

It is amazing the amount of damage a deer can do isn't it.

I was driving one evening during a bad dust storm in BFI (Bum Fugg Iraq) and all the sudden was playing dodge the camel. Thought for sure we were goners on that one. Stupid giant things were all over the road. kept think that elk were big but holy crap a camel is a something else. I didn't even have time to say anything about the first couple ones to warn the guys behind me. It just all happened too fast. How nobody got killed or seriously injured that day is beyond me.

Mackay! My friend, I don't know exactly where BFI is, but I'm certain I've been through there. grin

Matter of fact, as far as I'm concerned, that whole country is BFI! laugh

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not long after Huntsmans deeracide smooshed his dually's tender bits I went Ranch Hand and lost a couple of mpg's but I'm glad I have it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I hit one on the way to hunting camp way bak when. Did $3800.00 in damage to my truck. Cousin hit a Black Bear with his Harly, totaled the Harly and broke his leg in two places and had several lacerations. Bear walked off into the woods never to be seen again.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,439
Posts18,489,434
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.