-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have you guys used an RMR with the dual illumination for Bullseye (the one with no batteries?)

If so...would you use the 9 moa dot or the 13ish triangle? I'm not sure how much of the black that they would cover at 50 yards.

And, if you would have problems with them shooting from under a shelter to sunlit targets.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK so no one replied...maybe no interest or no knowledge...so I took one for the team.

Midway got the order yesterday and me and the misses will be comparing iron sights vs rmr trijicon dual illumination vs leupold 4x pistol scope for our newfound bulls eye hobby. I'll post some pics later this month once they arrive and we have some time to get acquainted. We'll be using them on ruger mk iv's.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't shoot bullseye, but I do shoot a red dot in both IDPA and USPSA. I've used both the Leupold Delta Point Pro (2.5 MOA dot) and the SIG Romeo3 Max (6 MOA Dot.) I like both a lot better than iron sights for precise accuracy. I think you'll like the RMR. In general, I think a smaller dot would be preferable for bullseye, but you will figure out what works best for you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
OK so no one replied...maybe no interest or no knowledge...so I took one for the team.

Midway got the order yesterday and me and the misses will be comparing iron sights vs rmr trijicon dual illumination vs leupold 4x pistol scope for our newfound bulls eye hobby. I'll post some pics later this month once they arrive and we have some time to get acquainted. We'll be using them on ruger mk iv's.

Look forward to your findings.

Particularly the no battery version of the RMR.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a 9moa dual illuminated RMR on a G17 MOS. I wouldn't use it for bullseye. The dots too big. I'd go smaller, a 1 moa dot, and probably a different sight altogether, an electronic red dot.

In terms of washout, you have to be in a really dark area looking into a really bright area for the dot to wash out. But under those circumstances, the back up iron sights really stand out.

The upside for the dual illuminated model is durability. Even more so than the battery operated RMRs. They're good sights.

IC B2

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm using a 7moa dual illuminated RMR on an AR. I love it. My 70yr. old eyes approve.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders

Look forward to your findings.

Particularly the no battery version of the RMR.
+1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use red dot sights on various handguns when doing accuracy testing during load development.

It is substantially easier to shoot more precisely with an RDO than with irons. This is even more so the case as people age and eyesight changes. I had Lasik done years ago and while my vision at distance is superb, I need reading glasses and the front sight is a bit blurry. I used to literally be able to count the fine serrations on a front sight blade.

Comparing an RDO equipped handgun to an iron sighted one , the RDO will win every time when it comes to being able to produce small groups.

Here is a perfect example

These are 50 yard 5 shot groups. Naturally I had one flyer up top, but these are essentially under 1" groups. Not light loads either. 300 grain Heavy Hammer loads at 1100 FPS, fired from a rested position. There is not a single chance in heck that I could do that with open, iron sights. No way.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

With my RMR equipped Glock 17 I can ring the steel plate at my cabin from my porch. It is 110 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

While I can do it with irons, it is much harder. The RMR makes it a cinch.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm interested as well. I don't see RMRs getting used in Bullseye matches. I mostly see traditional red dot optics like Aimpoints and Ultradots. I stick to iron sights but have wondered why RMRs don't get play in Bullseye.

9 MOA seems like it would be too big though, particularly at the long line, and for someone as skilled as a High Master.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And for what it's worth, the current Bullseye 2700, 3 gun aggregate record was shot with iron sights.

1974, Hershel Anderson. Shot a 2,680.... boss chit right there.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by copperking81
And for what it's worth, the current Bullseye 2700, 3 gun aggregate record was shot with iron sights.

Boss.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t shoot bullseye but will give my experience with “washing out”.

I was looking at one of the tritium/fiber optic RMR’s awhile back and was about to buy one when the salesman said point it out that window and you’ll see why you want a battery powered manually adjustable dot. Sure enough, the dot that stood out brightly inside was barely visible out the window. It’s the same with FO sights. I can stand under our awning in the shade and make out the front sight but it doesn’t pop like it does when the sight is getting full sun.

Depending on your situation, this might matter or might not. Do you shoot out of a blind or are you always out in the open?

As for size, bigger is easier to pick up but smaller is better for accuracy and if you get a manually adjustable battery powered model, you can turn it up to bloom and appear to be a bigger dot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by copperking81

Yeah but back then they still let guys drink between relays.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We just got done mounting some optics. My setup is the top and her's is on the bottom. The plan is to tinker around with some iron sights and then scope vs red dot vs green dot until we see what we like best and most of all have fun.

We'll sight them in when it's not so hot...whenever that is...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 40 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.